Full size diesel Blazer - military uhhhhhmm

DT75FLH

Adventurer
I tore down a 6.2 out of a 85 3/4 suburban that broke the crank in 2 at 280K miles. it was a auto (th400) with 4" lift and 35" tires.

the cylinders had NO VISIBLE wear in them. no ridge at the top of the cyl like you would expect with almost 300k on it. I was impressed.

IIRC detroit diesel worked with GM when the 6.2/6.5 was designed.

dragogt

Adventurer
I tore down a 6.2 out of a 85 3/4 suburban that broke the crank in 2 at 280K miles. it was a auto (th400) with 4" lift and 35" tires.

the cylinders had NO VISIBLE wear in them. no ridge at the top of the cyl like you would expect with almost 300k on it. I was impressed.

IIRC detroit diesel worked with GM when the 6.2/6.5 was designed.

You are correct the 6.2/ 6.5's are a detroit design..

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?93-GM-6.5-Diesel-Engines is the best place on the net for info on these engines...

Rhinob

Observer
I owned two Blazers, a 1972 and a 1977.

Had the '72 for four years and drove it all over Cameroon, across the Sahara, and then around Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia. Pictures at: http://www.pbase.com/diplostrat/bolivia76

The '77 incorporated all that I learned from the '72. I had it for fourteen years in Panama, Washington, D.C., Liberia, and Botswana. (Sadly, no pictures)

103637609.jpg

Notes:

-- A Rough Country suspension makes all the difference in the world. Only two inches of lift, but lots of wheel travel. Sadly, most modern suspensions are nowhere near as good. (N.B. Front U-Joint wear will be severe if full time 4x4. Change once a year.) The '72 had various double shock kits, coil overs, etc. With the '77, I did it right, right from the start. Remember, the goal is wheel travel, NOT stiffness or lift. You could always run air bags or upgrade the rear suspension if you need more.

-- 11.00 or 12.00 tires are good for ground clearance and traction. Be sure to up a load range or two - not for weight, but for cut resistance.

-- 3.07 gears are way too low, even with an automatic, worse with a manual. (Turbo 400 was, however trouble free for 14 years.)

-- Locking rear differential is very nice.

The first truck had three fuel tanks, the second five. The suspension/tire kit is so good that you can get the whole beast airborne and land without bottoming. Not recommended, but I didn't see that drift coming:Wow1:. Absolutely the most comfortable ride on washboard that I have ever found.

Never had axle or engine problems. The 350 would not shut off over 8,000 feet, so I had to stall the engine with the clutch. Starting over 10,000 feet occasionally required that one hold the autochoke flat open, but once the choke opened the engine ran well. Nothing has power at that altitude.

Based on my experience with the diesel on my Land Cruiser, I would say that a “classic” diesel Blazer with the right gears might well be the ultimate weapon. Especially if combined with a roof tent. Such a pity the Vic Hickey's catalog is no longer available.

I have that exact tire carrier, NOS, sitting in my garage. Anyone need it? PM me.

My ~165k miles '91 TBI 350/700R4/241 Sub on 285/75's with 3.73's has gotten 15.6 mpg at a rough average of 75 mph. Back off to 65 in OD and the mileage plummets. Pull it down to direct and the mileage comes back.
With a decent set of heads and some 4.11 gears (to allow optimum engine rpms at 65) I suspect that I could push on 18-20 mpg pretty hard. That is actually my game plan, but in an FJ60 and if the Sub doesn't sell soon it will become the donor. Which would be sad because other than paint it is a very nice truck.

Our 99 suburban half ton 5.7ltr gets 20mpg at 65 with 32 inch all terrains. GPS verified. We dont use OD under 50 at all. At 70 we are running at 2100 rpm. Other wise bone stock and 156k. A bit different horse but more the same than you might think.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94