Full size diesel Blazer - military uhhhhhmm

Ruffin' It

Explorer
So I know this must be a bad idea or else I would have see others do it. I am just wondering why. Assuming I was able to inspect it and it ran and moved. Why not pick up a mid 80's 4x4 diesel full-size Blazer for, say $1000, budget another $3,000 for mods and repairs. Pick up one of the M101 trailers while I am at it. Aside from the possability/probability of it needing some work to make it healthy, what are the downsides? I'm thinking more of a overland camping with the girlfriend and two dogs type of travel, not extreme rock crawling.
The alternative I am considering is a FJ60 or 80 - this week. It seems to change every Monday like clock work.

Thanks everyone

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I've had the same idea, plus you could find a good deal on a Blazer Chalet camper to throw on the back.

Unfortunately, too small for our family of 4.

Also, I know that there are a lot of mixed reviews on the GM diesel. Not taking sides, just suggesting an area to research. :)

One more pennies-worth: Back in CO where I grew up there was a term for scarred trees along side the forest service roads. Blazer Blight. Remember that your Blazer is quite a bit wider than an FJ. :) Don't know where you plan to go, just have to tell all I know.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
He wants the Chalet already. The guy is too nice to isolate his dogs in a seperate camper. ;)

I think the combo is a great idea. The 6.2 and the 6.5 have their issues but they have their loyal fan following as well. Lots of GM diesel forums with great info on getting the most out of both motors.

I think you would have to keep it the military OD green or camo though. That ups the funky factor quite a bit. Bonus points for a matching trailer.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
IIRC the military Blazers used 6.2L diesel engines, which have a mixed history of reliability. If you are willing to spend the $$ to make sure the engine is healthy, then I say go for it.

85CUCV

Adventurer
You just described my "EXPO" vehicle.

I did replace the rear axle with a larger 14bolt semifloat with disk brakes. I wanted a little stronger axle then the stock 10 bolt (Larger axle bearings and Ring and pinion). I lifted mine 4 inches to clear 33" tires and allow room for snow chains. If I was doing it again I would try to lift it no more the 3".

I installed a mile marker hydraulic winch of which I am pleased. I also installed an ARB Safari Snorkel from a series 100. (I admit the snorkel was not a critical piece of equipement considering the total cost to modify and fabricate). If you go with the CUCV get a frame brace from Off Road Design to keep the frame from cracking around the steering box.

It is still a work in progress, but that is half the fun. I'm currently modifying an CDN 101 and I hope to build a lid for it this summer.

I'd post pics, but I have not taken time to figure out how to do so. My avatar was taken on my cell phone camera.

Good luck either way.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
There is a ton of aftermarket support for the GM platform.

Other than being a little underpowered and on the small size for a full-size I think its a great idea. I considered something like that.

The other idea I had was to buy one of those 1-ton military GM trucks and swap the entire drivetrain and powertrain into a used blazer. That way you get the 1-ton axles. The parts should pretty much be a bolt in.

nickw

Adventurer
There is a ton of aftermarket support for the GM platform.

Other than being a little underpowered and on the small size for a full-size I think its a great idea. I considered something like that.

The other idea I had was to buy one of those 1-ton military GM trucks and swap the entire drivetrain and powertrain into a used blazer. That way you get the 1-ton axles. The parts should pretty much be a bolt in.

Your close, but they are actually rated at 1-1/4 ton.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
i was a mechanic for the army for 6 years. you are better off buying a cucv pickup instead of the blazer. issues with the blazer = most of the engines have issues (ran hard), the axles really were too small especially if you plan on putting a lift and tires.

if it were me id buy a cucv truck and put a NV4500 into it, lift and 37" tires.

i am back and forth on the same subject. 60 or blazer. my wife likes the style of the 60, i like the simplicity of the blazer. if i were going to buy a blazer i would look for a late model (89-91), add bolt in 1-ton axles and go. a simpler vehicle in my mind has never been created. i can stop at just about any house in WV and they will have chevrolet parts. my opinion.

jake

Ruffin' It

Explorer
Wow

Thanks everyone for all the input. Part of the reason I am thinking about the Blazer is that, as a couple of you mentioned, the parts (OEM and aftermarket) are much more common and inexpensive. There is something to be said for knowing that, no matter where I am, if I walk into any parts store in any town I can get what I need.
I'd want to drive it for a while before I start really putting a lot of money into it (upgraded axles, lockers, etc), but I would probably do the heads and starter and give the ignition and cooling system a good once over along with sound proofing the interior, new shocks and flush/fill all fluids. I drive a Land Rover now, so I don't think I'll be missing a whole lot in the power department. I'm fine with slow, as long as it isn't VW bus slow. I'd rather have the longer range (better mileage) over the ability to thow mud rooster tails 30 feet in the air.
A couple people have mentioned axles. Are they weak in the Blazer, or is that an upgrade that would be more important for a rock crawler? I'd lock it front and rear eventually, but I doubt I'll ever see the Rubicon in it.
It is larger than I would ideally go for (Blazer blight is a great term btw). Since I do most of my wheeling in the desert, I'm not overly concerned with trees, but I do love how much easier my Disco is to manuver on switchbacks than the Full-Size trucks I have been out with.
I'd avoid the pick up just because my purpose for a blazer/FJ is to have the dogs in the same space as me and the girlfriend (KCOWYO hit the nail on the head).
But I agree 100% with hillbilly, I want dead simple and reliable. The FJ has it in spades, but has cost working against it (in this comparison anyway). I would like to buy and build a decent rig for under 10-12K :)yikes:) that I would not be worried about taking the girlfriend and dogs on a two week backcountry trip.

jonathon

One thing to keep in mind regarding the military Blazers is they have 3.08 gears and a gov bomb in them, wholly inadequate for stock tires, let alone anything bigger.

HINO SG

Adventurer
One thing to keep in mind regarding the military Blazers is they have 3.08 gears

I've never really looked into military surplus trucks seriously, but I was under the exact opposite impression, thought a lot of Blazers/CUCV's had silly low gearing, like top speed of 60 mph with the engine practically at redline.

jonathon

The trucks had 4.56's, the Blazers did not. The trucks also had 1 ton running gear(Dana 60 and a Corp 14 bolt) versus the Blazers running half ton stuff(Corp 10 bolts front and rear). They all had the 6.2L Diesel, TH400 trans, and NP208 t-case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles