Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 89 Montero Build: "From Compton to the Con"

Default 89 Montero Build: "From Compton to the Con"

Ive been wheeling Monteros in one form or another since 1993 when I bought an 86 after a tour in Somalia. Anyways, my latest has been this 89 that I bought out in Phoenix a couple years ago after returning from my second tour in Iraq. I had been wanting to build a short wheel base for a while and my last two had been Long wheel base models. Also, I wanted the 3.0 V6 and and auto trans which is a rather difficult combo to find in the short wheelbase models, with 89 and 90 being the only years of this combo available. I drove my 95 out to AZ with the wife and picked it up. It was in in sorry shape, but I was able to limp it home to So Cal.

Heres a pic from the parking lot, at this point I had already removed some type of wierd roof contraption as well as a cheesey light bar. Note the crome bling stuff and the double blade windshield wipers

Hey ou think it might be a 4x4??

Although it was in AZ the truck had cali plates and when I went to the DMV to register it it was still valid in the CA system and was reviously registered in Compton CA.

Took about 3 days with a heat gun to remove all the stickers. There were about 5 differnt pinstripes running the length of the truck.

changed out the hairdryer for a real heat gun, a few beers...progress..

On that last one you can see I took off the unpredictable auto hubs and swapped on a set of superwinch manuals that I picked up online from summit.
    Last edited by Justice R; 03-19-2009 at 03:21 AM.
    -Justice R
    04 Limited- Tows the bass boat
    99 Montero Cold Weather Package, engine knock
    91 Montero LWB Grasscat I modified, Mitsu locker in rear, 33's, Snork, Winch (sold)
    89 Montero SWB auto, Locked F/R, Armored,Aussie Crawler Gears, 33's (Sold but wish I had not)
    02 Montero XLS Wife's rig (Traded in for Jetta TDI)
    95 SR 33's armor, ARB, winch, wheeled Hard and put away wet (sold to AZ Crew for cannibalization)
    95 SR " (totaled in a wreck)

Default next

I needed more clearance so I went down the street to Americas tires and got a new set of shoes..cost me more than the truck

15x8 AR Mojaves with 33x12.50 MTR's.

These fit nicely with a little tweak of the tortion bars and little trim of the plastic bumper end caps.
    -Justice R
    91 Montero LWB Grasscat I modified, Mitsu locker in rear, 33's, Snork, Winch (sold)
    89 Montero SWB auto, Locked F/R, Armored,Aussie Crawler Gears, 33's (Sold but wish I had not)
    95 SR 33's armor, ARB, winch, wheeled Hard and put away wet (sold to AZ Crew for cannibalization)

Default next mod

This was by far the most bang for my buck mod I got done. I saw this 96 Montero rear end on Ebay, so I placed a minimum bid of 100 bucks on it. I did not think I would win, but I was the only bidder and scored.

With this bolt in swap I gained the following:

-Larger axles, diff, and ring gear (from 9.0 to 9.5" ring gear)
    -Misu air locker
    -Rear disk brakes
    -beefier trailing arms

Not bad for 100 Bucks eh?? Also the seller gave me the 96 Coils springs for free. I swapped those in for about a 2" boost in the rear.

Old diff out:

New Diff:

Diff in truck:

Last edited by Justice R; 03-19-2009 at 03:55 AM.
    -Justice R

Default next mod

Since I upgraded the rear brakes to disks I decided to upgrade the fronts to 96 units as well. The gen 2's have Dual piston calipers and a larger shoe.

Stock:

here you can see the difference in hardware. 89 stuff on top, 96 stuff on the bottom:

Complete:
    -Justice R

Looking good. Nice find on eBay.
    2001 Mitsubishi Montero
    2005 AT Horizon Trailer
    My Montero Thread

wow that's actually a sexy truck with all the stickers removed. the paint looks great underneath.

does it have IFS? if so, are there plans for a solid axle swap?

Who's white Gen 1 with the snorkle in the background?

Default next

No plans for a SAS as of yet but I have not ruled it out. The IFS on these rigs is fairly stout (for IFS). Seems to be able to handle up to 35's without much issue. I have some part to beef it up a bit, but I have not yet gotten to that.

removed the T case and installed the 2.85 gears from Marks in AU.

-Justice R

Quote Originally Posted by OneTime View Post
    Who's white Gen 1 with the snorkle in the background?
    That was Jon's. A freind of mine who's Montero I was watching while he was deployed.
    -Justice R

Justice: What kind of shape is the engine in? Has the valve-guide replacement been done or does it burn oil? I had mine done at ~ 139k.
    Martin AKA Zapp Branigan KD0PHH
    2007 Toyota 4runner SR5, 4.0 V6. FJC lift, FJC black steelies, 255/75/17 BFG MTs & custom front bumper!

Wife's Vehicle: 1995 YJ "Captain Morgan", 4 cyl, 5 speed

And our Homebuilt Teardrop Trailer "Bubbles!"Other Rides: 2002 BMW R1150R; 1996 Mazda B2300 4x2 (Daily Driver)

"I am the Man with No Name - Zapp Branigan!"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast