89 Montero Build: "From Compton to the Con"

Justice R

Adventurer
Front Bumper

Lets se if I can get this right. Here's some pics of the front bumper build. It started simple and I have added stuff to it steadily over the past few months

frntbumper1.jpg

Taking Shape..

frnbmper2.jpg

frntbmper4.jpg

frntbmper3.jpg

frntbumper5.jpg

bumperprogress1.jpg

The goal was to keep aproach angle, and keep it fairly light. The plan was to eventually mount a wnch to the frame, so the bumper would only serve as place to mount the fairlead.

Justice R

Adventurer
Put in a winch.

I used a piece of 3/8 plate between the frame rails to mount the winch. Added some gussets just for insurance..

web.jpg

web.jpg

Test fit, as you can see ($hittybuilt XRC8000) I'm keeping this build on a budget..used my military discount and pick this 8K winch up for 298 out the door..Should work for my needs.

web.jpg

Had to mod the bumper for the fairlead..

web.jpg

Had a piece of angle iron lying around that I used as the fairlead mount.

web.jpg

Used the grinder to smooth it all out and a coat of Krylon..

web.jpg

I like how its tucked in nice and tight...I plan to use the approach angle

web.jpg

I'll be putting some syth line on the winch soon with an aluminum haus fairlead and get some of that approach back.

bearingman

from new guy

:sombrero: :victory:

I love it. I'm SO GLAD I found this thread. I have the same Monty and am in need of some mods. AT last I have seen at least a Vendor name to get a part from!!!!!'

Keep us updated......

Bearingman

off-roader

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: :victory:

I love it. I'm SO GLAD I found this thread. I have the same Monty and am in need of some mods. AT last I have seen at least a Vendor name to get a part from!!!!!'

Keep us updated......

Bearingman

Well what are you looking for in terms of upgrades?

Lots of parts available. Some are mitsu only (most 'hard' parts), some are from full blown 3rd party business, others are from fabricators.:victory:

bearingman

Well, I'm glad to see your note about the 96 axles/air locker and 9.5" ring. I really like the look of your bumpers and sliders as well. Since I bent one of my steps and my rear bumper/gas tank skid plate at Uwharrie they both appeal to me. I need to shed some of the weight I'm dragging and getting rid of the stock rear bumper and the pentil hitch that's on it will help. I need a little lift, also the other tc gears. I'd like the t/c to do the offroad work and the rear end to do the gas mileage.:smiley_drive:
Gonna have to switch to the full synthetic all around as well. Gotta get my K&N hooked back up and my extra lighting. Also looking to see what I can do to get a little UMPH out of the 3.0.:coffee:

Gonna pick up a set of GDYR Dura-Trac 33's when my ship comes in. Overall my Monty is in pretty good shape to be 20 years old. It has a rebuild title and has the Montero Sport badges on the rear door as well as both front fenders, however the parts guy at the "Stealership" says that by the VIN it is not a Sport. Who cares, really. It's paid for.. :) 3.0, 5 spd, a/c pw, pl, 4x4--everything works except the headlight washers, but, c'mon, they all dry rotted years ago :bike_rider:

Not much Monty support over here in N.C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles