Elmo's Camper Build

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Looking good..great tent!!

How about dropping off the changing room to a place that makes awnings or does boat canopy work and have them sew extensions or even a floor into the tent area?

Has to be a lot less work than changing the axle.

Keep up the good work

Pat

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Looking good..great tent!!

How about dropping off the changing room to a place that makes awnings or does boat canopy work and have them sew extensions or even a floor into the tent area?

Has to be a lot less work than changing the axle.

Keep up the good work

Pat

Yeah, I still may go that route. I have a friend that does some boat canvas work, but am worried about it not being as good as new. I mean the zippers won't run the whole length, so I'll have to use more velcro and make more compromises, but it's certainly not out of the question. Adventure trailers has been really good about working through the bent arm and giving me the options for walls. I may just go back and get a longer set of walls from the factory.

Lowering it won't be that bad, as I currently have "lift" shackles on it. So putting stock shackles will only take 10 minutes per side. It's the wheel well clearances that may hurt me and take a while.

I was really just going back and forth as to which would be the best option for the function of the trailer, not about the time/effort involved. Don't care about that as much as long as it's done for camping season.

-

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Looks great man... I would love to sell my RTT and get that exact tent set-up for my trailer. Im having a hard time looking at the CAD drawing and envisioning how its gonna look, but im looking forward to it! I am digging the stove and sink!!

~ James

Tight_wad

Adventurer
For your tent, you just need away to compress the suspension while you have the tent setup. Has to be a good way to do that? Really like your setup!

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Looks great man... I would love to sell my RTT and get that exact tent set-up for my trailer. Im having a hard time looking at the CAD drawing and envisioning how its gonna look, but im looking forward to it! I am digging the stove and sink!!

Thanks for the compliment... As for the CAD, unfortunately I'm not very good at 3D stuff... I need to take some queues from Titan and try Sketchup. I'm still going through some design changes that will change things a bit. Mostly, I can't figure out how I want to support the outside edge of the kitchen. I planned on using fold down legs, but they take up a lot of room that could be used for storage and also may be awkward to deploy. I'll have to work on that this weekend since the wife and kid are taking a trip.

For your tent, you just need away to compress the suspension while you have the tent setup. Has to be a good way to do that? Really like your setup!

That is actually a great idea... although I'm not sure I can implement it easy using leaf spring suspension. Maybe I'll go to a setup with airbags like Stump has.. That would be easy to drop at that point.

Very nice build. :elkgrin:

Thanks!!

womacje

Adventurer
Great Design! I love the Eezi-Awn Globe Trotter. Saw one up close for the first time 2 weeks ago, wow was it nice!

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
any more on you trailer. im looking at doing one with a service bed as well, how did pump it and did you install a water heater? also i thought about building a U shaped folding platform( when open it would be open to the bed and extend past the tail gate) you think that would be ok? i want to still be able to hauler my atv in the trailer. got a few other canopy ideas in mind just trying to figure the "how toos".

vtarider

loving your build,I'd like to do something close to that.
I was wondering does anyone have any idea of where one would find a service body trailer or at least a service body?

Thanks
Dave

winstonclein

Craigslist is the place.
I found mine last month after looking now and then. I found a Minitruck fiberglass body service bed. It's sitting in my garage waiting for some mods: frame, suspension, axle, and of course RTT to begin.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Craigslist is definitely the place to go. That's where I got mine.

If you haven't seen mine, I built a similar trailer based on a full-size bed. I'm due for some updates, but it has air/independent suspension, hot water, 12V/120V power, and loads of storage. I haven't loaded an ATV in mine to see what the consequences would be with regards to weight distribution, but it will definitely fit and I'm sure I could adjust things to get the weight right. Link to my build thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz