Flashlights vs Headlamps

I have both a headlamp and one of the new LED maglites.

With the headlamp, I find it's great when there isn't a lot of fog or that sort of thing, and it's pitch black out (which when you're in the woods, is pretty much every time after 6pm.) The downside I found with these though is they aren't all that useful in the fog, and they're also not quite as versitile as the maglite.

I saw a maglite on sale at Walmart, $20 for the 2D LED one, so I bought it in a flash. It came with the belt holster thing where it hangs, and although I thought it'd be cumbersome and awkward, I actually really enjoy it. I have it on my right hip, and when hiking, I can't even tell it's there most times, which is great for when I don't need it. Not only does it have many other functions, but the thing is amazingly bright. I shone it in the woods, on a clear night, and it lit up what must've been at least a half mile away. I was thoroughly impressed by this.

By far though, the best thing I have noticed is the filters. I had the option for another $3 to buy an anti-roll mount, a traffic cone, and two filters for it, I agreed mostly because the girl was really nice, and I tend to buy without thinking. The cone just pops on top and I've used it a half dozen times when I've found car accidents on the side of the road, and it works great, but is useless if you won't be dealing with traffic on dark roads. The filters however have saevd my life a few times. The blue filter was designed for fog apparently, and it works WONDERS on the foggy shores of Newfoundland. It lights things up, but without the expected cloud of the fog hampering my view. This alone is reason enough in my opinion to buy the maglite and filter, but the red filter also works wonders. Pop it on, and it dims the light, making things visible, but it also doesn't mess with your night vision too much. Useful if you're gonna be needing that a lot.

All in all, although headlamps do have their advantages, if I could only have one, I'd choose a good maglite one hundred percent of the time.

Arclight

SAR guy
If you want the Cadillac (or whatever passes for a luxury car these days) of head lamps, I highly recommend the Sten Light:

http://www.stenlight.com/

This is a top-of-the-line light built for cavers and used by a lot of the folks on our SAR team. For smaller/cheaper options, the Petzl headlamps are fine, and the Princeton Tec "Byte" and similar models are cheap and pretty good. I keep one in all of my vehicles and also have one in my 24-hour pack as a spare. It's great to have a spare when you have to walk your subject down a mountain after dark1 (They never bring their own!)

One tip: The cheap models that use 3xAAA batteries usually aren't regulated, while the ones using 2xbatteries often are. You get more usable battery life from a voltage-regulated unit.

Also, avoid anything that uses lithium watch batteries or other small batteries. The weight savings isn't that much, and the energy stored in those cells per $$$ is poor.

I only use flashlights when I wants bright spotlight coverage.

Arclight

mattiep11

Adventurer
owner of
2 princeton tec headlamps(see pics)
2 surefire flashlights (will get pics)
1 mini mag on my key chain
2 4 cell mags in the truck survival box
1 trek bike led
headlamps work great,, use aaa batts , surefire will blind you and are on 3 volts batts, they are better then my mags when it comes to compact powerfull light, mini mag works great for whaterver small, big mags are for safety ( u feel me) and for camping, trek led works great for biking at night,, not as bright as i would like but works
P1010886.JPGP1010887.JPGP1010889.JPGP1010890.JPGP1010891.JPGP1010896.JPGP1010895.JPG

summerprophet

Adventurer
Any recomendations on either?
Another recomendation for Petzl.

I have gone through a LOT of headlamps. Black Diamond, Duracell, Everlast, Princeton Tec, others.

Petzl is top dollar, but is reliable and tough. With what I rely on headlamps for, failure can result in serious misery. Petzl lamps have always surpassed my expectations.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Headlamp for 90% of my use.
Specifically Zebralight. I've found the H51 to be a beautifully designed, small 90' head single AA headlamp. Rub time on full (rated 200lm) could be longer (~1hr) but that's using standard alkaline AA's. The lowest power level is .2 lumens, which sounds ridiculous, but is actually perfect in the camper when it's the only lightsource.

View attachment 152479

http://www.zebralight.com/H51-Headlamp-AA-200Lm_p_37.html

lots of proponents over at candlepowerforums, with good reason.

I agree completely on the Zebralights and I will say these are tough enough that you just won't destroy them.
In my vehicle I have a 12vdc charger with 4 eneloops and that covers the 3 lights in use by the family as we rarely run down more than 1 unit at a time.
They also make a flashlight style model that my younger son loves as he gets the best of both worlds.

Great light and worth every penny.

Storz

Explorer
**edit
Just realized this was the SAR forum, I do not do SAR stuff - below is just what I have for camping/wheeling/goofing off.

Headlamp - Princton Tec Quest
quest.jpg

Flashlight - Nextorch T6 w/LED
t6.jpg

Weapon light - Insight M3
75-1000.jpg

Sirocco

Explorer
Headtorch = Great around camp. We have 3 Petzl headtorches. Using 3 AAA or the Core battery Pack, great durable have lasted for over 6 years and some serious use.

Maglites = Great for distance or 'throw' not so good for lighting a small area, store in the truck as they are heavy for the lumens they output. I have a 2D LED which puts out nearly 400m of narrow beam.

I didn't find Surefire flashlights at a good price in the UK and for the money I bought a NiteCore MT26, 800 Lumens for £50. Awesome light and on strobe makes a good defensive tool to have with you. We are not using this as much as the headtorches during everyday life on the road though.

G

madmax718

Explorer
Head lamps are great for moving around at night, or when you want to "repair" something in the dark, when you need both hands.

Maglight LED's have incredible run times. the combination of D batteries.. the lack of heat sink throws it into thermal regulation early though, and cuts output. Mini LED maglights have blinker modes, and is great to throw a signal beacon if your out in a wide area.

Surefires are uber reliable and bright. the incan versions are indispensable in smoky and foggy conditions. LED's just light up the fog. They generally have a very tight and narrow beam (save certain particular heads, KL series, for example). The LED's are very bright, and the colors are more neutral (in the 6800-7500 range). If you have a need, and a budget, surefires are hard to beat. You can get the GL2 for not much money, and it has an aluminum head for heat dissipation. Im a big believer that a tactical flashlight should have one function: On, or off. All the gizmos of dimming, etc, is unnecessary, and in a life or death, you don't want to be fumbling.

The downside of Surefires- low battery life. Most are designed as tactical tools, and as such, only a few models have a low setting (l2, one of the few I know of). There are newer models that have low mode setting as well.

as a SAR tool, it does allow you to scan a larger area. Just be sure to get more batteries.

As a great budget light, the Fenix's are good too. Their smaller form factor allows you to always have one with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94