MARS expedition Hummer

I hope I'm not duplicating another thread with this one. I looked around but didn't see anything. I thought this would interest everybody.

An international team of scientists has launched an expedition to drive the Northwest Passage on sea-ice this spring, marking the first time the Passage has ever been travelled in a road vehicle.

The 2,000 kilometre trek will be undertaken in the Mars Institute's new Moon-1 Humvee Rover, an all-terrain exploration rover derived from the vehicle commonly used in the military.

I can't imagine "driving" the Northwest Passage! :Wow1:

Their new rig

ooNew-Camera-101.jpg

Their old rig

MARS-1.promo.jpg

Zorro

Adventurer
Anyone know them? Are they looking for a talented photographer ready to freeze along? :D

I'm not sure how that new H1 is better than the previous one with mattracks on though ...

6Pins

Adventurer
Interesting, especially since I just read an article about how the Northwest Passage was navigable by boat for the first time last year due to thinning of the ice.

paulj

Expedition Leader
Update on this
http://www.marsonearth.org/2009/04/northwest_passage_drive_expedi.html

The crew and the truck will be flown by C130 to the Arctic coast within the next few days.

Just like the skiing team on another thread, they will be measuring ice thickness.

The team will be measuring the thickness of sea-ice along the entire length of the Northwest Passage. The unique set of measurements will be key to understanding current and future effects of climate change throughout the Arctic.

Regarding the tires, they are switching to tracks in Yellowknife
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmpresearchstation/3404288087/in/set-72157616139507681/

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
Maybe they'll keep both on hand; tracks for the ice and snow; tires for summer. If they are trying to simulate Mars, they may have chosen an area that was dry and gravelly, rather than soft tundra. Is that picture of the old one taken at the northern site?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online