Chiricahuas and Pine Canyon

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Just got back from a 2-1/2 day trip up to Barfoot Park near the top of the Chiricahuas.

The Chiricahuas were magnificent. Water in streams everywhere. We crossed several flowing streams across the road, found waterfalls along several trails.
I’ve never seen this much water in the Chiricahuas in all the many trips I’ve taken.

Chiri_9125.jpg
Chiri_9152.jpg

We tried going down Pine Canyon from Barfoot Park, but about 2 miles down where the trail parallels and crosses the stream several times it was all completely wiped away. It looks like there must have been a raging flood in that canyon. I think the water must have been 4-6 feet deep in some places. All that was left was big boulders and a canyon that had been scoured of all earth. You couldn't find the trail because it was wiped clean. In fact for at least a mile or more the trail IS the stream bed. We walked down about 1/4 mile or so and it was the same as far as you could see. I'm not sure how far down it is this bad but guessing from the topo it could be several miles at least. It was amazing.

I had to turn back at this point. With me in my FJ40 and my friend on a "quad" there was no way I was going to chance a breakdown. With a group of well equipped vehicles (I think sliders would be a must, locking diffs, and winches perhaps), it could be a very challenging trail, and a lot of fun!

Hard to tell in the photos but it used to be a trail...now all rocks and boulders up to 2-3’ diameter...trees, logs down everywhere...farther down there are drop offs and holes that would make for some real excitement.

Chiri_9161.jpg
Chiri_9160.jpg

At night we had a small herd of deer visit our camp. About 5 does, and very little fear of us. They came within 30 feet of us while we were sitting around the fire at night.

Hasta luego...
Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier