LT265/75 R16 Tires on a 4RUnner

teotwaki

Excelsior!
skid001mf4.jpg

Redline asked me to start a thread up on the tires that I have. They are Bridgestone Revos in a load range C and I am on my second set.

The first set was replaced at a little under 60k miles. I could have squeezed another 5k out of them but Firestone had a 35% off deal so I didn't wait.

Most of my miles are on the highway so I won't run really agressive tires that are noisy and handle poorly on the highway. Just being practical...

Anyhow, the tires fit right on without any mods and are slightly taller and wider than stock. Up until the 50K mile range they are fairly quiet.

When I had the newest set put on I went up to Big Bear for a snow run. I was again impressed with how well they handled icy roads at modest speeds and deep snow on some back country roads.

They are extremely good on paved roads in heavy rain conditions.

I've done some modest rock crawling with the tires aired down to 20 pounds and did not seem to have issues.

I have not been in very much mud but the tires seem to self-clean quite well.

When the rig is heavily loaded I can air them up to 40 pounds which also helps with gas mileage.

That is another point. If my truck is lightly loaded with an empty roof rack I can cruise at 70 MPH and achieve 20 MPG on regular unleaded, barring any headwinds. Tailwinds are always welcome!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Actually I was being more selfish and was simply asking Jim for a PM on the subject. Though I'm happy he decided to share his thoughts with the everyone ☺ For background below is a version of my PM to Jim with a my thoughts & curiosity. I'm really interested in hearing from those running 'only' a LT265/75 on some challenging obstacles/overland routes.

Something not included in my original PM to Jim is that with 265s I can easily carry two spares of the correct size - one on my swing-away carrier and one under the rear in the stock location should I decided to use them for serious trips.

Jim,

You may have seen the tire thread in the general mods section about my latest tire meanderings...  It was focused on 285s but even before I have test fit a set I'm starting to accept what I already know; that 285/75R16s without a body lift won't clear (will likely rub lots off-highway and MPG will suffer probably about 2-mpg). Yes I have the gearing to pull them with 4.88s but that doesn’t help with the clearance, and I'm against a body lift. The truck is pretty quick now, but with 265s and 4.88s it should really get up and go  even with all the weight.

Because I was leaning toward the ******** Cepek Fun Country II as a new 285 tread to try I started thinking again about trying a set of 265s (have had them before, but liked 255s better). Yep, they are lots shorter than my 255s (but not a 'short tire' in the historical sense) -they are essentially the same width as 255s which is important. With all my weight/caster I can rub the 255s in the back of the front fenders so I can rationalize that 265s are better as they will clear well. The same size chains will also fit 255/85 & 265/75. A little wider, shorter, stiffer tire will also handle better on-highway if I decide to give them a try, I remember this from when I had Toyo ATs and MTs mounted. Of course I didn’t have all the mods/weight completed back then.

Hoping you will share your long term thoughts on running 265s, the trails & type of driving you do, etc. I still have some 255s for the harder stuff so as long as I can live with a lower ‘looking’, more 'mall crawler' 4Runner   the 265s are not a big negative - maybe a positive. Unfortunately the Fun Country II in 265/75 is a load range E, and I prefer D.

Redline

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Here are some pics a couple years back when the Mall Crawler was new and the mods were just beginning. Wearing Toyo MT LT265/75R16 treads.

265s1.jpg

265s2.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
a couple of thoughts

Taller tires are nice in that they pull the whole truck upward, especially improving axle clearance.

Taller tires raise the center of gravity which is not so good for putting gear up on the roof.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
The Bridgestone Revo AT are excellent in the rain and snow. If I lived somewhere with lots of rain and snow, this would be my preferred tire. I prefer the Yokohama Geolander ATS in the dirt, sand, and rocks. The Yokohama is also less expensive.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The LT265/75R16 is a great size, maybe not as good as the once preeminent 235/85R16, but now much more popular.

I have come out of my delusional state, thinking I was going to leave my beloved 255/85 in favor of the smaller temptress 265/75. Going up to a 285/75 I can see (if they will clear) but 'living with' the limited tread selections in 255/85 seems wise (and cheaper) for the time being.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The Bridgestone Revo AT are excellent in the rain and snow. If I lived somewhere with lots of rain and snow, this would be my preferred tire. I prefer the Yokohama Geolander ATS in the dirt, sand, and rocks. The Yokohama is also less expensive.

How much less? I had 4 Revos installed for under $600

7wt

Expedition Leader

X2. I bought a set when I lived in Pensacola. They were great there. The tires did very well in the rain and the sand. The desert in southern California seemed to kill my set though. I had somewhere in the range of 28K on them before they went. I always heard they were high milage tires but it didn't work out that way for me. I liked them though, great performance for what I needed at the time.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
How much less? I had 4 Revos installed for under $600

Well, for example, I'm pricing 245 75r16 and the Yokohama (load range E) is $154 each and the Revo (load range C) is $190 each at Discount Tire.

The 265 75r16 size Yokohama (load range D) is $156 at Discount Tire and the Revo (load range C) is $190 at Discount Tire. Now, the same 265 75r16 size Yokohama (load range D) is $128 at Tire Rack and the Revo (load range C) is $180 at Tire Rack.

There is a price range of between $36-52 per tire.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That Yoko D-range for $128.00 is a 'deal'! Nice looking tread too.

snip...........Now, the same 265 75r16 size Yokohama (load range D) is $128 at Tire Rack and the Revo (load range C) is $180 at Tire Rack.

ExpoMike

Those are some good prices but my biggest issue is that there are not many Load Range C tires in my size (245/75-16) and being a light rig, I don't want to down grade the ride quality with the higher range tires.

One bright hope is I think the new Goodyear M/T's (or whatever the newest one) is coming in my size in range C.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Well, for example, I'm pricing 245 75r16 and the Yokohama (load range E) is $154 each and the Revo (load range C) is $190 each at Discount Tire.

The 265 75r16 size Yokohama (load range D) is $156 at Discount Tire and the Revo (load range C) is $190 at Discount Tire. Now, the same 265 75r16 size Yokohama (load range D) is $128 at Tire Rack and the Revo (load range C) is $180 at Tire Rack.

Thanks. I paid about $150 per Revo (Load Range C)when all was said and done at Firestone. Maybe if I had not found a deal I might have bought something different, but I am such a bargain hunter I probably would have searched a while before giving up.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Those are some good prices but my biggest issue is that there are not many Load Range C tires in my size (245/75-16) and being a light rig, I don't want to down grade the ride quality with the higher range tires.

One bright hope is I think the new Goodyear M/T's (or whatever the newest one) is coming in my size in range C.

I'm conflicted about running a LT "E" tire on the Liberty, but the tires I want to run in 245 75r16 are all "E"...

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I know many think of it as a positive but this is one of my cautions about some tires on rigs that don't need a load-range-E tire.

I sure prefer the softer ride and flex of a D-range tire over an E, a nice compromised. Having said this (again) the few miles I have had an E-range tire on my 4Runner it was not as bothersome as on other stiffer sprung 4x4s because my OME suspension is comfortable and well weighted.

I'm conflicted about running a LT "E" tire on the Liberty, but the tires I want to run in 245 75r16 are all "E"...

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
My problem is most of the tires in that size (245 75r16) are E rated and a couple are C rated. None are D rated. The one I really like is the E rated Yokohama and the more expensive C rated Revo is also being considered.

I ran some 265 70r16 BFG ATKO on my Tacoma for 40k miles. These were E rated tires and they worked well for me.

And yet, I'm still conflicted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz