Upgrade alternator?

erin

Explorer
I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but I was wondering what amp alt. is required to run a winch, air compressor and a few lights. I know the stock alt. in my truck is an 80 amp. Do any of you think this is enough or would it be better for the electrical sys. to upgrade and how much?

Thanks ahead of time for any input

Scott Brady

Founder
I am pretty certain mine has a 100 amp, which seems to be sufficient.

As there are no alternators that can keep up with heavy winching, I would recommend installing a second battery before a larger alternator.

With lights, a nice set of IPF's or Lightforce with 65watt bulbs is plenty.

So far, even in my "wired like a house" double cab, the stock alternator has been sufficient.

erin

Explorer
Yes, that was my concern, with the TRD package, you have a better alt.. But, if a second battery is a better solution, that is great, because a new alt. is a pretty pricey option. Do you know of any sites that show detailed installs of a second battery isolated from the strating battery? Of all things, I am extremely electrical stupid!!

Scott Brady

Founder
Here are some cool links for the Baja Taco:

http://bajataco.com/dualbatts/dualbatteries01.html
dualbatteries01.jpg

http://www.bajataco.com/zr2steve/auxiliary-battery.html

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
According to info provided by Chris King from Toyota of Dallas (trdparts4u.com), my alternator ('98 V6) is a 70 amp, and Scott's alternator ('04 V6) is an 80 amp. I didn't see any 90 amp alts. listed for the '97-'04 Tacomas but that doesn't mean they aren't around. I verified the part # on mine, so I am certain it is the 70 amp. At 135K miles, my 9 year old alternator is still working. However, when running the off-road lights, talking on the VHF radio, listening to the stereo, and running the fridge, I wish I had a higher-output alternator. In my opinion, the stock alternator is acceptable and works okay, (especially if you are going to put some miles on without hi-amp draws, to allow the batteries to recharge) but a 100 amp or higher sure would be nice if you are running high-draw items like 100W lights + toys at night. A higher output unit will also get the battery recovered faster after winching, and hopefully before you get to camp and need all of your reserve to run the fridge, etc.

I am going to be putting new brushes in my alt. soon, and I am thinking about just getting a higher output unit and keeping my OEM as a spare. I am hesitant because my battery solenoid is only rated for 100A.

asteffes

Explorer
The '05+ V6 Tacomas with the tow package have 130 amp alternators. I never notice my lights dim at idle or when running the VHF with all my lights and stereo on (roughly 30 amps worth of lighting.)

I think if you need to replace it, get the largest one you can reasonably acquire. It should run cooler at any given load and last longer than the original.

Have any of you looked into having a factory alternator re-wound to provide higher output?

erin

Explorer
Yes, I was looking at a new Tacoma the other week, and noticed that on the sticker with the tow package and asked the service department. That's when I discovered mine was only 80 amps. I was looking at LC engineering and Premeir Power alt. Can you use one thats to big ? I figured somewhere around 110-150 amps would be more then enough for everything that I have planned.
My biggest corcern was the M8000 winch pulls something like 400 amps at full pull. I realize this amount of strain would be rare, but I like to look at worse case scenarios when upgrading, so I don't have to change things in the future. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong though? Any thoughts?

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
erin said:
Can you use one thats to big ? I figured somewhere around 110-150 amps would be more then enough for everything that I have planned.

Typically, you will lose 1HP for every 25amps you add to the alternator. I think 100-160 amps is no big deal.

erin said:
My biggest corcern was the M8000 winch pulls something like 400 amps at full pull. I realize this amount of strain would be rare, but I like to look at worse case scenarios when upgrading, so I don't have to change things in the future. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong though? Any thoughts?

I think for a typical trail/expedition vehicle, a good sized deep cycle aux. battery will be fine for the rare occassions when you need to use the winch to that degree. I think the key factor to consider is the recharge time that will be required once you are done winching and back on the trail. That extra amperage will make a good difference allowing the battery to recover in a shorter time/distance.

You need to weigh the "rate of return" that you would get for investing a lot of time and money on a specialized setup (such as a 2nd alternator). Would it be worth it for the intended application? Unless you have a competition type of vehicle, probably not.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Interesting thread, boys.

I looked into the same thing a few months ago. I learned that if you do want a high output alternator, you don't necessarily need to purchase a new unit. You can have a shop re-wire your existing alternator for a higher amp draw - that's all the aftermaket h/o alternators are. This costs far less than a "new" high output unit.

I see that Chris has set some things straight with, "Would it be worth it for the intended application? Unless you have a competition type of vehicle, probably not." But I include my little nugget of knowledge for posterity or confusion or something like that. :)

Mark

Ramdough

Adventurer
Talk to these guys

http://www.wranglernw.com/

They can set you up with any number of alternators and adaptor kits. They can even take your stock alternator and rewind it for you for higher amps.

I looked into this a long time ago, but I do remember that the guys there are great to talk to and they were reasonably priced.

I would give them a call and check out your options.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Mean Green is a good shop/product from what I understand. However, I do think (someone correct me?) that they have a `1-wife' alternator which acts as a small parasitic drain on the primary feed battery (generally starting), versus the stock setups that nowadays have different 12v acting lines to control the alternator start. Nothing at all of major consequence if it's a daily driver.

ParadiseCruiser

xman said:
I heard that Mean Green alternators were excellent high output alternators.

There has been more than one case where the Mean Green was actually tested professionally, and found to not put out a single amp more than the stock alternator that it was intended to replace (these were 80 Series Cruiser applications where the physical size of the case is limited).

It's always something, eh? YMMV

Cheers, R -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles