Understanding vehicle efficiency, and its effect on payload

Scott Brady

Founder
I did a technical study on this topic just over a year ago, but thought some of you would enjoy the analysis.

Topic: Expedition Vehicle Fuel Consumption Rates and its impact on GVWR

Given all vehicles listed were completing a 1000 mile expedition fully self supported, in which all vehicles attained EPA city mileage. The 5gallon Jerry Can requirement is based upon all of the vehicles having the same sized gas tank as the Tacoma 6cyl Xtra Cab. The Tacoma 6cyl is the reference vehicle.

Reference:
Unleaded/Petrol Fuel: 6lbs per U.S. Gallon
Total Gallons Required= 1000 (miles traveled) / EPA (City) Mileage

Results:

Vehicle EPA (City) | Total Gallons | Fuel Mass | Mass Variance | 5gal Cans Req.
Tacoma 6cyl 17 | 59 Gal | 354 lbs. | Reference | reference
Suzuki Sidekick 22 | 45 Gal | 270 lbs. | -84 lbs | -3
Tacoma 4cyl 18 | 56 Gal | 336 lbs. | -18 lbs | -1
Tundra V8 15 | 67 Gal | 402 lbs. | 48 lbs | +2
Land Cruiser 13 | 77 Gal | 462 lbs. | 108 lbs | +4
Discovery II 13 | 77 Gal | 462 lbs. | 108 lbs | +4
Hummer H2 8.5 | 118 Gal | 706 lbs. | 352 lbs | +12

Payload Comparison (lbs.):

Vehicle | Payload | Fuel as a % of payload | Payload Remainder
Tacoma 6cyl | 1,585 | 22% | 1,231
Suzuki Sidekick | 898 | 30% | 628
Tacoma 4cyl | 1,630 | 21% | 1,294
Tundra V8 | 1,525 | 26% | 1,123
Land Cruiser | 1,470 | 31% | 1,008
Discovery II | 1,600 | 29% | 1,138
Hummer H2 | 2,200 | 32% | 1,494

General Conclusions:
- Available payload is a must greater factor than MPG in this study, unless fuel cost, or environmental impact is considered. For example, the H2 Hummer uses nearly 40% more fuel than any other vehicles in the study, but it also has the highest Payload Remainder.
- The vehicles at the two extremes (Hummer and Sidekick) both had fuel payloads over 30% of available payload capacity
- The Tacoma proved to be the most frugal selection, using much less fuel, while still having a high Payload Remainder.
- The Discover II also did well in the Payload Remainder, but suffers from poor economy based on the size of the vehicle.

Last edited:

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Are you using sticker mpg or estimated for modified vehicles? I think I'll try and put some numbers together for an Xterra, Pathfinder, and a Frontier to see how they rate.

Scott Brady

Founder
The BN Guy said:
Are you using sticker mpg or estimated for modified vehicles? I think I'll try and put some numbers together for an Xterra, Pathfinder, and a Frontier to see how they rate.

Cool! I used MFG sticker MPG for city.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Scott, You seem to know a lot about this and great topic, BTW. My question is in reference to the payload. Are you finding variences in manufacturers in regards to wheather the max payload includes the fuel supply as to not included?

I just never thought to include the fuel quanity in my tank to figure out the max payload I could load. I am relating this to flying as well, but with flying it is much easier to determin the quantity of fuel you have on board. Also the manufactures have different weights for "wet" and "dry" configurations. So, with that said, I to am assuming that the payload doesn't include oil's as well. Am I correct?

I guess it is time to pull out the good old owners manual and find out for my self.

WIL

pangaea

Adventurer
Wil,

Payload is typically determined as GWV - Curb weight. Curb weight is determined as the weight of the vehicle in stock form with an average driver (175 lbs, IIRC) plus a full tank of gas.

Attachments

• TacomaLeer180e.jpg
    TacomaLeer180e.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 0

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
pangaea said:
Wil,

Payload is typically determined as GWV - Curb weight. Curb weight is determined as the weight of the vehicle in stock form with an average driver (175 lbs, IIRC) plus a full tank of gas.

BINGO! Exactly what I was looking for thanks!

dieck

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
I did a technical study on this topic just over a year ago, but thought some of you would enjoy the analysis.

Topic: Expedition Vehicle Fuel Consumption Rates and its impact on GVWR

Given all vehicles listed were completing a 1000 mile expedition fully self supported, in which all vehicles attained EPA city mileage. The 5gallon Jerry Can requirement is based upon all of the vehicles having the same sized gas tank as the Tacoma 6cyl Xtra Cab. The Tacoma 6cyl is the reference vehicle.

Reference:
Unleaded/Petrol Fuel: 6lbs per U.S. Gallon
Total Gallons Required= 1000 (miles traveled) / EPA (City) Mileage

Results:

Vehicle EPA (City) | Total Gallons | Fuel Mass | Mass Variance | 5gal Cans Req.
Tacoma 6cyl 17 | 59 Gal | 354 lbs. | Reference | reference
Suzuki Sidekick 22 | 45 Gal | 270 lbs. | -84 lbs | -3
Tacoma 4cyl 18 | 56 Gal | 336 lbs. | -18 lbs | -1
Tundra V8 15 | 67 Gal | 402 lbs. | 48 lbs | +2
Land Cruiser 13 | 77 Gal | 462 lbs. | 108 lbs | +4
Discovery II 13 | 77 Gal | 462 lbs. | 108 lbs | +4
Hummer H2 8.5 | 118 Gal | 706 lbs. | 352 lbs | +12

Tacoma 6cyl | 1,585 | 22% | 1,231
Suzuki Sidekick | 898 | 30% | 628
Tacoma 4cyl | 1,630 | 21% | 1,294
Tundra V8 | 1,525 | 26% | 1,123
Land Cruiser | 1,470 | 31% | 1,008
Discovery II | 1,600 | 29% | 1,138
Hummer H2 | 2,200 | 32% | 1,494

General Conclusions:
- Available payload is a must greater factor than MPG in this study, unless fuel cost, or environmental impact is considered. For example, the H2 Hummer uses nearly 40% more fuel than any other vehicles in the study, but it also has the highest Payload Remainder.
- The vehicles at the two extremes (Hummer and Sidekick) both had fuel payloads over 30% of available payload capacity
- The Tacoma proved to be the most frugal selection, using much less fuel, while still having a high Payload Remainder.
- The Discover II also did well in the Payload Remainder, but suffers from poor economy based on the size of the vehicle.

So how does a sportsmobile stack up... They have a big gas tank, diesel, and hella payload in the 1 ton...

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Could not find any payload capacities other taan cu.ft. for the Xterra and Pathfinder.

Here's what I found...

Vehicle EPA (City) | Total Gallons | Fuel Mass | Mass Variance | 5gal Cans

Frontier 15 | 67 Gal | 402 lbs. | 48 lbs. | +2
Pathfinder | 15 | 67 Gal. | 402 lbs. | +2
Xterra 16 | 62.5 Gal. | 375 lbs. | 31 lbs. | +3

Frontier|1482| 27% | 1080
Pathfinder N/A----------
Xterra N/A-----------

I'm quite bummed about the inability to compare the X and Pathy! But good to see how the Frontier performed. Now I have a 2000 and those numbers are not available but I figure my mileage is a little lower - more along the lines of 'Cruiser considering the mod's I've made.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 2

+ d

Adventurer
Here's where my Grand Cherokee stacks up...not great i suppose, but she'll have to do!

Vehicle | EPA (City) | Total Gallons | Fuel Mass | Mass Variance | 5gal Cans
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ - 4.0L) | 15 | 66.6 Gal | 400 lbs. | 46 lbs. | +2

Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ - 4.0L) |1430| 28% | 1030

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Hey +, what about the old Cherokee's?

Attachments

• IMG_2932.jpg
    IMG_2932.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Brady

Founder
+ d said:
Here's where my Grand Cherokee stacks up...not great i suppose, but she'll have to do!

Vehicle | EPA (City) | Total Gallons | Fuel Mass | Mass Variance | 5gal Cans
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ - 4.0L) | 15 | 66.6 Gal | 400 lbs. | 46 lbs. | +2

Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ - 4.0L) |1430| 28% | 1030

That really isnt bad for an SUV. Better than most actually :)

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Interesting statistics :lurk:

One thing I thought of whilst going down the chart was possibly the addition of useable cargo area (cu. in of cargo space and actual useable space).

For example, I have seen the inside of the H2 and it is tiny in relation to the sheer mass of it. Plus, the proportionally low roof makes for very little actual useable space.

The H3 is even worse in this regard, although the size is more realistic. Also the side windows are so small, you can barely fit your arm through the window and see. Cool in a hot rod, not so cool in a suv...

I have found pure numbers for interior cu. in. dimensions/capacity very misleading. In real life use, 1" can feel like 1 mile and the shape of the space can determine how useful it is as well.

Anyway, hope that adds something... hehe

Rockhounder

Explorer
Interesting that nobody has mentioned suburbans yet....... Newer subs are actally skinnier than the 80's models. Our 88 sub is a full 8 inches wider than our 97 suburban. We can get a 4x8 plywood into our 97 with a very tight fit, we were very pleasantly surprised when we put a 4x8 plywood into the 88 and had enough room on the sides to stack a bunch or 2x4's as well. Feels great to be able to pack most of our travel gear Inside rather than on the roof or rear rack.

37 gallon tank, and two external 5 gallon tanks, and we have put several times close to 2000 pounds of rocks, bricks, or sand in it. Of course the suspension really sags then, and the tires balloning out make you drive really slow to keep the heat down.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Holy Bring a Thread Back , Batman :)

Cool to see something like this brought back for a rehash.

As the proud owner of a 70 Burb with a GVW finally higher than what I actually put into it I would agree that they are great rigs for keeping it all inside for a family of 4

southpier

Expedition Leader
could someone please summarize this for me? seems like gibberish, but I'm probably just not getting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles