Want KM2's but can't find them?

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I know after reading a few threads, and lots of reviews of the new BFG Mud Terrains that guys are REALLY liking them, but are sometimes having trouble located specific sizes.
If you can't wait much longer for BFG to start a production run on these tires, you might want to consider going with the older model KM's.
BFG is discontinuing that model, which means you will have a hard time finding replacements if you damage them.
However, it also means that you may be able to find a tire shop that can get the KM's at a much reduced rate, as BFG is clearing out the old model at pretty good prices.
I spoke with a BFG distributor and got prices on the 33x10.5R15 in both models, and the price was $60.00 per tire less expensive for the older version.
Now, that price is what a tire shop would pay, but obviously the retail customer should see some of the savings getting passed down.

I just thought I'd give everyone a head's up on that one. ;)

I checked on this route also, but most places I contacted don't seem to have the older series either?

What distributer did you speak with?

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
It's called North-Alta here in Edmonton.
They only sell to tire shops, as does my company (Trican Tire Distributors).
He bought a bunch at a good rate, and I could buy some for my personal vehicle at an even better rate.
(I wish I could actually use them, but I have 6 unused 33x12.5R15 Hankook RT01's mounted, sitting beside my Cherokee with an incomplete lift install...)

Anyways, North-Alta is sitting on a lot of the KM's, in excess of 20 tires, I got the impression it was considerably more, probably 50+.

Granted, the tires in Canada cost A LOT more than they do in the U.S., so even with a currently favourable exchange rate with the greenback (20-25%) you might not save anything at all buying from a shop in Canada.

EDIT: Unfortunately, due to the fact that my company purchases from North-Alta, and then resells the product, I can't comment specifically on the prices.

Applejack

Explorer
Here in Oregon, Costco says they're out until............? So I looked elsewhere locally and was pleased to find that another shop could get my size in 2 days. But this makes me wonder if I might be getting a phone call today. They're supposed to get mounted tomorrow morning.
And I thought Costco was just blowing smoke.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
The Michelin corporation (in Canada anyways) uses an automated phone ordering system.
You call it up, plug in the part# of the tire, and the quantity you are after, and it responds back with a positive that they are in stock, or a negative that they are not.
It's a pretty poor system to be honest...
If they aren't in stock, you have the option of talking to a CSR, and seeing when/if they are coming in any time soon.
As I mentioned in another thread, and noticed someone else here on ExPo is aware - the CSR's only see the next 4 weeks of production and shipments into their warehouses.
So if the tires are on their way to the nearest warehouse to the customer, they can tell you. But if they are more than 4 weeks away, they can just say the tires are on backorder.
That means it could be 5 weeks, 5 months, 5 years, or never until you see that tire next.

If the worker at Costco was lazy, they wouldn't have gotten past the first automated negative, and just told you they couldn't get them right now.

Did that other store you mentioned take a deposit for the tires?
If they did, I would think the tires are indeed on their way.
Of course, that might have been a bit of a scam to get some money out of you, then later say the shipping company screwed up, and lost your tires, but they have these other pieces of crap tires they can sell you that "are just as good"...
Who knows? I hope you get your tires regardless. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior