Montero Build

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Nice! There's a check list used for post water fording. May want to go through it. Would be in your FSM.

Also, are you gonna change your name now? :) Maybe Hadatrupr or damonty? or better yet dafullmonty?

The water wasn't very deep at all, only about 12" at the deepest point. I still need to get an FSM for it. Name change? Yup. Already put in the request with the Super Mods. I thought "fullmonty" would be fun, but I decided on "azmonty".

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Optima yellow top installed:

001-1.jpg

I have an issue though that maybe someone can chime in and help though. After I installed the battery it was shifting really hard for a few shifts, then the hard shifts stopped and it started slipping. Needless to say I was getting mad. Then it was shifting fine, but I got home and parked. Should I be worried about the tranny going out? Or is the computer resetting itself after the battery change? It was shifting just fine before I changed out the battery. It started immediately after I left the auto parts store. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I have aptly named this truck "The Silver Slug" as it is by no means a hot rod. My Trooper had more get up and go, and that was no hot rod either. This truck weighs about 2 1/2 tons and has only 200hp. While if prompted, it could get out of its own way, it does struggle to do so.

I think your model has the 4-speed A/T, correct? I think this has an affect here. Not that the 5 speed makes it super fast, but combine the 5-speed with the 4.9 gears that you have in your diffs, and it's a super combination.

I went the other route, and added the 4.9 gears to my 5-speed. It was sluggish with the 4.3's that mine came with.

I'm really glad you're enjoying all of the things I love about mine.

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader

001-1.jpg

I have an issue though that maybe someone can chime in and help though. After I installed the battery it was shifting really hard for a few shifts, then the hard shifts stopped and it started slipping. Needless to say I was getting mad. Then it was shifting fine, but I got home and parked. Should I be worried about the tranny going out? Or is the computer resetting itself after the battery change? It was shifting just fine before I changed out the battery. It started immediately after I left the auto parts store. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I have never noticed this. I have replaced my battery (BTW a group 31 optima fits in your tray perfectly) and installed a dual-battery system and have never noticed transmission shifting issues. I belive this is all controlled by the computer. If it doesn't sort itself out, a trip to the dealer may be worth your money and effort.

off-roader

Expedition Leader

Maybe the ecu relearning after you disconnected the battery?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info, Tony. I think the 5speed would help with MPG's too, but it is what it is. It does run at 3K RPM at 75mph which I think is a little high. I do like the 4.9 gears though. I could not locate a group 31 from about 10 different dealers within 15 miles of my house. So, I went with a red top that fit the tray perfectly, but the terminals were set to far back on the battery and I could not get the positive terminal connected due to the "L" bracket attached to it. This one worked. When it is time to replace this one I'll go a little further to get a group 31.

The transmission is being really goofy. It has for the most part settled down. It is shifting fine now about 90% of the time, with the ocassional hard slip into third and fourth. I'm going to take it in to have it looked at. I Need to check the fluid level first. The shop may have not put enough fluid in it when I had them change it out. When I took it in when I bought it, there was not much debris in the pan or on the magnet. I know low fluid could cause shifting issues. Also, I wonder if maybe somehow I got water into it when I crossed the river the other day? I know that sounds far fetched, but is it possible with this unit? I know some auto trannies have a breather tube. It makes me feel better that it is shifting better, but I'm still concerned. I don't want to do a tranny rebuild right after I got it. That would so suck, and take a lot of my mod money away for the next yearl

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Maybe the ecu relearning after you disconnected the battery?

That is almost what I was thinking, but it was still acting strange this morning. Not nearly as bad and the hard shifts and slipping turned into hard slipping. But it is not doing it all the time, it only did it about three times this morning. I'll see on my way home.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Just a quick update:

It seemed to be shifting fine on my way home if I drive it in my normal "old guy" manner. If I get a little heavy on the throttle (like to merge onto a freeway) it does a hard shift with slip into 2-3 and 3-4. I checked the fluid and it is full and there is no indication of the tranny running hot. I'll keep you all posted.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
OK, so I got a little bored this afternoon and did a few more updates to the Monty.

The factory supplied tool kit in the rear door I thought was completely useless. The only tool in there that was useable was the lug wrench. So, I took it off and replaced it with a first aid kit. It actually worked perfectly as the screws used to hold the tool kit on worked to mount the first aid kit:
001-2.jpg

I also wanted a temporary place to keep my MagLight and fire extinguisher. The storage space in the back door for the 3rd row seat headrests made a great space for this for right now:
002-2.jpg

A view of the rear door with its newly added kit:
003-1.jpg

As it will be most of the time:
006-3.jpg

Also, there were LATCH anchors bolted to the cargo area floor that stuck up about an inch and a half. Since I don't need these, they were removed giving me a flat load floor:
005-2.jpg

And, since I removed the 3rd row seats, I have a great little "trunk" to store tools and recovery gear. My tool kit, jumper cables, and safety siphon along with a custom made winshield sunshade:
004-3.jpg

And I removed the lug wrench from the useless factory tool kit and stored it with the bottle jack in the under floor storage area or "trunk" :)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
OK, so I got a little bored this afternoon and did a few more updates to the Monty.

The factory supplied tool kit in the rear door I thought was completely useless. The only tool in there that was useable was the lug wrench. So, I took it off and replaced it with a first aid kit. It actually worked perfectly as the screws used to hold the tool kit on worked to mount the first aid kit:

I also wanted a temporary place to keep my MagLight and fire extinguisher. The storage space in the back door for the 3rd row seat headrests made a great space for this for right now:

A view of the rear door with its newly added kit:

As it will be most of the time:

Also, there were LATCH anchors bolted to the cargo area floor that stuck up about an inch and a half. Since I don't need these, they were removed giving me a flat load floor:

And, since I removed the 3rd row seats, I have a great little "trunk" to store tools and recovery gear. My tool kit, jumper cables, and safety siphon along with a custom made winshield sunshade:

And I removed the lug wrench from the useless factory tool kit and stored it with the bottle jack in the under floor storage area or "trunk" :)

Nice setup on the 1st aid kit. May have to check out my "useless" toolkit area and do the same.

Is the extinguisher loose or had mounted to the door? If loose, I'd caution against mounting it that way. Could be a bad thing if it comes out during a head on or hard braking!:Wow1:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
There are factory supplied straps in the door holding both the MagLight and fire extinguisher. Not ideal, but they are not going anywhere. I'll have them both hard mounted with QuickFist clamps soon. What I do need to do is set up some moveable "swivel" latches over the removeable floor over the "trunk" storage area. It is not latched down, and in a rollover all the stuff in there will come out possibly causing serios injury. I am working on a solution to that.

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Just a quick update:

Today the transmission was acting perfectly normal. Could it be that the ECU was just relearning?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Just a quick update:

Today the transmission was acting perfectly normal. Could it be that the ECU was just relearning?

Not certain. In all the times that I've had the battery disconnected for longer periods of time than simply switching out a battery, I've never noticed anything like this.

See what you find down here. These guys know their Pajeros.

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Tony. I have never heard of anything like that before either. I was talking to a friend of mine last night and he has an 04 Ford Exploder, and when you change out the battery, or if it dies, he has to take the car around really slowly so it can relearn. Now, in all honesty, I have not read the owners manual, and I don't have a FSM for this truck yet. Could it be because of the different trannies in our trucks that we may have different ECU's? Maybe yours doesn't need to "relearn" and mine does? I have no idea, I'm at a total loss as it is shifting just fine again today. No issues. I think I'll call the dealer to see if I can't get an answer.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Tony, I went to the Pajero club of Victoria and also called the dealer. They both are saying the same thing. If the battery has been disconnected for more than a couple of minutes the ECU will "reset" and have to "re-learn" and get used to my driving style. I am guessing that since I am not hard on the gas very often it took it a bit of time to relearn the shifts for hard acceleration. Again, both yesterday and today it is shifting just fine with no issues, even when I am harder on the gas. I think that is what it is. Also, I have seen a great increase in fuel mileage since Sunday. As of last night I was getting almost 22mpg. I'm sure that wont last, but it is still cool. Gus from the Pajero club said that it will get better mileage after the ECU is reset. Anyway, a huge load off my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles