Hilux in the US

jh504

Explorer
I know this topic has been discussed extensively but I had a thought the other day that I havnt seen addressed. One day I would love to have a 4 door hilux. I cant see paying the ridiculous amount of money it would cost to import one though. Could it be done by opening a PO box in a country like Honduras, and buying the vehicle there, then registering it to the PO Box? Make the truck legal according to the country's standards and then drive it back to the US. Then just keep the PO box open, pay the taxes to the "host" country and drive it around here in the US. It would not be an import because it is still registered to an address that you hold in another country.
What would be the logistics behind something like this, and could it even be done?

HINO SG

Adventurer
I have no idea how to answer your exact question, but I've thought about whether it would be practical to make an arrangement to lease a 15 y/o or older JDM (grey market) Toyota or similar from a Canadian citizen or corporation.

In theory, as long as the lessor (in Canada) is happy with the arrangement, it could be pretty easy.

In actual fact, the insurance aspect might be complicated enough to discourage the lessor from making such a deal.

Lot's of interesting models in Mexico, too, but never really thought about it since I don't know many Mexicans nor do I speak Mexican.;)

Last edited:

gjackson

FRGS
As usual it would be the US gvt who be your main adversary. As a foreigner you could bring said Hilux in for a year. As a USAer, they frown on you having a car registered in a foreign land. I know people who've looked into it, but I'm not sure the exact reasons they gave up. I'll ask around. . .

cheers

jh504

Explorer
I have seen people from other countries driving their cars here with their foreign tags and all. I do not know what the stipulations would be for an American Citizen though. Lets say I decided to buy a vacation property in Guatemala and kept my house here in the US. Then I traveled back and forth using my Guatemalan vehicle. It seems like that would be perfectly fine. I have had multiple residences in different states (not because I have money, I do not) with a vehicle registered in one state while living in another. Never had any issues there. Of course being registered in another country is another story.

Cobra_R

Adventurer
I'm sure theirs a way to pull it off because I've seen the same thing. I've seen several cars from Mexico and the UK driving around here in California. Have you checked your states DMV website? I'm sure theirs info on there. Also check the Department of Transportations website, I'll bet they'd have information on it. If you find out let us know because I'm as interested as you are!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I seem to remember reading something about a time limit that a vehicle registered in another country could be in the Sates. I do not remember the specifics and I forget where I read it, sorry.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I seem to remember reading something about a time limit that a vehicle registered in another country could be in the Sates. I do not remember the specifics and I forget where I read it, sorry.

Has to be bonded, and for no longer than 12 months to do it legally.

CharlieV

Adventurer
Just curious, but aren't the hilix and the tundra (or tacoma?) basically the same body style? Couldn't you have the hilux shipped into the country, find a wrecked or otherwise cheap tundra (with a clean title) and swap the dash parts with VIN number over and therefore title your hilux that way? In my home state of Massachusetts, there is no independent vehicle inspection prior to registering your vehicle like in other states. I registered my 84' scrambler with a v8 as I6 powered and no one noticed even during the safety/emissions state inspection process. I understand that in the event of a serious accident with the truck you could have problems with liability exposure, but life is a gamble right? I have only seen pictures of a hilux so maybe I am off base.

jh504

Explorer
The Hilux I am referring to is the early 90s 4 door Hilux. It has a Diesel engine, SFA, and a shortened bed like the new 4 door Tacos. I have looked in to different ways of building a Hilux out of a domestic truck but it would cost a lot of money and would be a huge task. It still might be an option for me if I could find a body and engine in Mexico or somewhere for a very good price. I would like to figure out a different way though.

IH8RDS

Explorer
You could always give up your US citizenship and become "Honduran". Then just get a visa to live in the USA. :sombrero:

Ruffin' It

Explorer
Great White North?

Didn't Canada get the Hilux?
It is my understanding that if the vehicle is a NAS (United States or Canadian Spec), you can get it in through an importer. I've been reading up a bit lately as I really want a diesel 70 series Land Crusier. The people whom seem to really know say that Canadian vehicles of any vintage can be imported to the US through a registered importer. I was lead to believe the importer would charge around $1,000, but also take care of all the paper work involved. I have read a number of accounts from people who have imported vehicles newer than 25 years from Canada with no issue whatsoever just be going through an importer. They didn't even have any problems with insurance.
ih8mud.com has a bunch of information on it about importing under the "24 volt" tech section for some reason. Read the entire thread though as there are a bunch of nay-sayers and a few people who actually know. There are even references for good importers to work with interlaced in some of the posts.

One thing though; no one is allowed to use any of this information to purchase a diesel 70 series troopy in good condition and priced under $20,000.:violent-smiley-031:

allochris

Adventurer
When I was traveling in Guatemala just about 3 weeks ago, I saw pretty much everything we dream off driving up here in North America (US & Canada). The whole new diesel lineup fleet ranges from Hyundai, Mazda, Mitsh., ..., to of course Toyota.

Seriously, I too have been thinking on ways to get one of the yota's D-4Ds up here. Those hilux and mini-van are nice!

For Canada, read this: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicles/importation/other-than/index.htm

Current Canadian rule:
-Vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older vehicles can be imported
-Newer vehicles made outside NA cannot be alter to comply and import in Canada
-For visitors & tourists:

a motor vehicle may be admitted temporarily into Canada without complying with the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations if it is to be used exclusively by a person entering Canada as a visitor or a person passing through Canada to another country. Persons entering under a work permit or student visa will be considered as visitors for the application of this section of the Act. Any change in the status of the person entering the vehicle may invalidate the use of this section of the Act. The vehicle cannot be sold or otherwise disposed of while in Canada and cannot remain in Canada for a period longer than the time constraints listed on the work permit, student visa or any other Customs documents. Once these time limits are exceeded, the vehicle no longer qualifies for temporary entry under section 7(1)(b) of the Act and must be exported.

But I'm thinking of the D-4D in the newer vehicles!

Would these work?:

Option A:
-Buy a accident D-4d half-cut
-Trailer it up here
-Half-cut isn't consider as a vehicle right?

Option B:
-Buy a new/used (depending on $) running D-4d
-Road trip it up to Canada
-Since I'm Canadian and cannot be a visitor, I declare myself as a person driving to another Country (Alaska) upon entry.
Note: No specific date is set for the person travelling to another Country, other than those entering as visitors. Does this imply a grey area?
-Stay as long as i want to?

Option C:
-Buy a new/used (depending on $) running D-4d "hilux"
-Road trip it up to Canada
-Enter as a person driving to another Country
-Gut the D-4d, tranny, and all the goodies
-For the rest:
-Reck t, junk it, run it off the mountain
-Discard the vehicle/declare it total in an accident / Report it stolen?
or
-trailer it out of Canada and sell/donate it to my US neighbor?
(Is an engine-less vehicle consider as a vehicle subjected to U.S. import
regulations?)

allochris

Adventurer
The Hilux I am referring to is the early 90s 4 door Hilux. It has a Diesel engine, SFA, and a shortened bed like the new 4 door Tacos.

What's the US regulation on importing Canada registered vehicle?

Many 15yrs or older japanese diesels have already been imported into Canada. Try Look in private sale forums in BC (Victoria/Vancouver) and Alberta (Calgary/Edmonton).

Although I think these SFA 4 door hiluxs are much more rare than the Surf models we see everywhere in Vancouver.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
I love my Hilux

The Hilux I am referring to is the early 90s 4 door Hilux. It has a Diesel engine, SFA, and a shortened bed like the new 4 door Tacos. I have looked in to different ways of building a Hilux out of a domestic truck but it would cost a lot of money and would be a huge task. It still might be an option for me if I could find a body and engine in Mexico or somewhere for a very good price. I would like to figure out a different way though.

I had one in Singapore with 35" MTR's. I loved it and if there was anyway I could have brought it to the U.S. I would have done. Too bad it was a RHD...

If you ever wanted proof of their indestructability, check this out... (3 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk

Cheers,
Jay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94