Chop Sticks

Darton

Adventurer
I was walking around the Wally-World with the wifey tonight and we were going through the craft isle and I had this question. What do you all think of using knitting needles for chop sticks? They're aluminum and are about 9 inches long in all sorts of cool colors. If needed you could get longer ones and cut them down to size. I was looking at ones at REI's website and they're pretty expensive. I thought this could be a cheaper way.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Boye-Needles-...lorn_10?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&img=0&color_name=11 but shorter without the caps on the top ends.

Last edited:

Darton

Adventurer
HAHAH maybe nevermind. Chopsticks are really cheap online. I was comparing prices to the snow peak travel sticks which have to be the most expensive ever, but regular chopsticks are really cheap.

ZooJunkie

Explorer
I can buy a pack of ten for $4-10 at my local Asian store. :) If you really really want metal chopsticks, you can look for Korean chopsticks. They are typically made of steel. I don't recommend metal chopsticks because they are slippery as heck! Good luck picking up a peanut or some steam fish w/ metal chopsticks.

paulj

Expedition Leader
I've read the Koreans are about the only ones who like metal chop sticks. Korean stores sell gift boxes of long spoons and chop sticks, evidently intended as wedding gifts. Those sticks are practically stilettos.

Various companies make folding or retracting chop sticks. Snow Peak, for example, has had a set on the market for some time.

Regarding the knitting needle idea, how about aluminum tent pegs? Dual duty items - eat with them at supper, support your tent while sleeping :)

Darton

Adventurer
HTML:
Regarding the knitting needle idea, how about aluminum tent pegs? Dual duty items - eat with them at supper, support your tent while sleeping

I like it. A true mulit tool.

lowenbrau

Explorer
If you are making a campfire anyway, whittle your own chopsticks and use the shavings for firestarter. I do it all the time. there's even a set in my office desk that I had to whittle in the warehouse one day in desperation.

bucketosudz

Explorer
Not to mention it really, really sucks when you have amalgam fillings. It's like testing a 9volt battery with your tongue!!!

My wife spent a considerable time in Japan and we have multitudes of sticks around the house. If you are going to use a metal stick, get a steel set and bead blast them. They will still be pretty sanitary and they will grip better than polished. We had a set that had rubberized tops and matte finish on the tips. They were pretty cool. I can check and see if I can locate a maker if interested.

ZooJunkie

Explorer
If you are making a campfire anyway, whittle your own chopsticks and use the shavings for firestarter. I do it all the time. there's even a set in my office desk that I had to whittle in the warehouse one day in desperation.

Just don't whittle the wrong wood!!! You might end up killing yourself.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Really? This intrests me. Why do you use them so much??

For one, I'm Asian so I'm used to chopsticks. It allows me to pick up foods, flip foods over when frying, eat noodles with ease, and more. Eating fish off the bone is easy with chopsticks too.

People even ask to borrow my chopsticks so that they can pick up spaghetti noodles from the pot or colander.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier