Jerry Cans Laying Flat???

SunMan

Adventurer
With regard to Jerry/Wedco/Scepter type cans, how leak resistant are they?

Can they be laid FLAT without leaking?

I've got a Four Wheel Camper with a roof rack and two cans would lay nicely in the rack without causing much of a height issue. I'm really trying to avoid mounting a can holder to the camper frame. Thoughts? I've yet to see a fuel can that didn't leak but would be willing to spend whatever it takes for a good one if it absolutely won't leak.

I've tossed the idea of using one of these but hate the thought of "losing" a gallon of fuel storage:

http://www.portal-tek.com/cart/inde..._id=27&zenid=23caf8e067b1ec43fd63785da82ab876

Let's hear it guru's...is laying cans flat a viable option?

I have laid both Nato and Scepters down flat on my roof rack and not had any leaks at all. I know some people have had bad seals and such so I would just lay them down on your driveway in the sun for a day or so and see if yours in particular leak

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
You should be fine with a Scepter or Nato-style can, such as the Wedco branded can. If you can't lay a container on its side, then you don't need that container.

ExpoMike

Great info. I was wondering the same, as I would like to lay my two Scepter's down flat, so it creates less wind drag on the roof (whenever I get to building my rack).

marke

Hi, I have 2 Nato cans and after replacing the seals, they have never leaked. Even sitting in the hot Death Valley sun, they are tight. Mark

Hedge

Adventurer
I use NATO (Wedco style) cans, and as long as the gaskets are in decent shape, they are virtually leak-proof. In my experience they are capable of holding their seal despite a high pressure differential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94