Wrong oil filter.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but I didn't know where to put it.

I am a little worried right now. I went to get an oil filter for my Tacoma and '04 Corolla. They didn't have the one for the Corolla, so I left with the Tacoma filter. Unfortunately, being in haste to change the oil, I accidentally used the one for the Tacoma on the Corolla. Comparing the two, of course, the Tacoma's filter is wider and longer.

Is this going to cause any harm or malfunction? As in, loss of oil pressure? (if that has anything to do with it....) I'd like to get another one for the Corolla, but NAPA is out of them at the moment.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

If the treads are the same (most likely) and the o-ring seal is the same and seals up okay, then you are good to go. Actually I have used other model filters on some vehicles, since the main mounting point is the same but with the larger size, I have more filter area. It should not affect oil pressure.

Make sure the filter seals the same as the original one.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I would not drive the car until I put the correct oil filter on.

Try Wal Mart. Kragen....Autozone....Checker. Whatever, I'm sure it's a very common filter.

Here ya go.....

http://www.cskauto.com/

If you are worried about anything other than a Toyota filter, there is a whole other thread here about the diff. quality of oil filters.

You can always save this filter for use in your Tacoma.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I wouldn't run the Corolla either. That 4 cylinder oil filter is quite a bit smaller than the Tacoma filter. Do you not have a Toyota dealership near by?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks, guys. Well, I did have a correct filter on-hand, but did not want to use it. (POS STP). I really like the NAPA Gold filters (made by WIX). I also did not know if the filter would seat properly (and feeling around the filter, it seems that the gasket was not 100% seated due to the overlap caused by the wider filter), so I put the STP on there for a day, and yesterday, found a NAPA with the correct filters in stock, and swapped it out. Only a little bit of oil loss. No biggie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior