Battery Tender chirps?

ThomD

Explorer
I picked up a used AT Horizon :)wings:) and I have a question about how the battery Tender is supposed to behave. When I plug in the AC, the Tender chirps about every half second, neither indicator light comes on and the output voltage cycles between zero and about 1.5V DC in time to the chirp.

I can't find any reference to this noise online. So, does anyone have any insights as to what's up?

telwyn

Adventurer
Not sure what tender they use (I'm sure this is an easy question for Mario or Martyn once they see your post), but I have this tender and it is completely silent...

Bergger

Explorer
I picked up a used AT Horizon :)wings:) and I have a question about how the battery Tender is supposed to behave. When I plug in the AC, the Tender chirps about every half second, neither indicator light comes on and the output voltage cycles between zero and about 1.5V DC in time to the chirp.

I can't find any reference to this noise online. So, does anyone have any insights as to what's up?

Are talking about the on board charger that is making noise or is it the battery bug that is mounted on the battery itself? If it is the battery bug, the small black module, then the beeping is due to your battery being drained and or dead. Once you recharge the battery the beeping should go away. If it's not the battery bug then all the following info will be useless! Anyway here's a write up I did on the battery bug.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13988&highlight=battery+bug

Here is a link to the website and you can click on the specific product and download the manual for it.

http://www.batterybug.com/

ThomD

Explorer
There is no battery bug in this trailer, so it must be the Tender making the noise.

That is a very interesting product and may have to go on my wish list.

Thanks,

Bergger

Explorer
Did yours come with the Marinco 6 amp charger/tender? That's what my Chaser came with. Mine has never made a noise at all. Your best bet is to give Mario a call. I'll go through my paperwork and see if I can find anything about the noise.

ThomD

Explorer
Mine is a vintage 2004 model, so lots has changed in how they spec them. This one came with the Power Tender Plus by Battery Tender.

I know that I'm going to have a million questions as I work my way through sprucing up the trailer, so I'm trying to limit the number of times I bug Martyn. I know they are great with support, but I figure if I have questions that are not AT specific, I should try the general forum first.

Cheers

Whoknows

Observer
I'm afraid I know what it is. I had the same problem on the same unit. In my case I sent it in to the company and they told me this is the sound it makes when it is fried. Power surge most likely culprit.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'd have to say I'm not familiar with this problem.

I think the best thing to do is to give Power Tender a call at 386-736-7900.

They are located in Florida.

When we were installing Power Tender's we found them to be very reliable. But as previously mentioned a power surge may have fried this one.

Best of luck. Let me know if I can be of assistance. As the new owner of an AT trailer you get the FULL AT assistance package, we don't discriminate.

ThomD

Explorer
Hi Martyn,

I will give Power Tender a call on Monday. I'll also need to order a couple of things from you, so I'll drop you a line on Monday too.

-t

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Weird, one time i had that thing chirp at me.. but i think it was a blown breaker in the shop causing it to do that. Sorry to hear it's gone south.

ThomD

Explorer
Weird, one time i had that thing chirp at me.. but i think it was a blown breaker in the shop causing it to do that. Sorry to hear it's gone south.

Like I said in my other post, I wouldn't be having any fun if I didn't have something to tweak. Maybe it'll be something easy to fix. I need to call Deltran.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke