Overland Navigator

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
Overland Navigator doesn't come with any tools for a user to create their own map-packs at this time.

Craig

One of my trail buddies uses Overland Navigator and I really like the functionality - especially touchscreen and APRS. Not being able to create map-packs or import other map sources is a deal breaker for me. I will be doing some international traveling and don't want a solution for the USA and something else for other countries. Any idea when or if you will have this capability?

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Casual feature request: I'd love to be able to expand on the included icon set by adding in my own waypoint/POI icons.

Great product Craig, this is the first software solution that has actually been able to talk me out of using paper maps. I still carry them of course, but they sit in a bag in the back seat now and usually only come out for trip planning. :)

Akecj7

Observer
I was wondering if there is a way to adjust the low speed tracking. Heres the problem, when driving under 5mph Overland shows that you are stopped (gaps in gpx file). Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I would imagine this should'nt be too hard to add in but what about being able to minimize it so you can do other work on the laptop. My wife likes to write trail logs and write-ups while we are on the move. Being able to minimize and use word would be nice without having to close Navigator.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I would imagine this should'nt be too hard to add in but what about being able to minimize it so you can do other work on the laptop. My wife likes to write trail logs and write-ups while we are on the move. Being able to minimize and use word would be nice without having to close Navigator.
That one got me too at first (I run Media Player for music). There is a setting for that:

- open up the ON Settings utility
- expand Display Preferences
- toggle the "Run Fullscreen" option to "false"

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I was wondering if there is a way to adjust the low speed tracking. Heres the problem, when driving under 5mph Overland shows that you are stopped (gaps in gpx file). Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

The icon will show you as stopped, but the recorded GPX track should included all lat/lon points that were sent in from the GPS. Overland Navigator doesn't proces the data from the GPS, it just dumps it into the GPX file as-is.

craig

Casual feature request: I'd love to be able to expand on the included icon set by adding in my own waypoint/POI icons.

Great product Craig, this is the first software solution that has actually been able to talk me out of using paper maps. I still carry them of course, but they sit in a bag in the back seat now and usually only come out for trip planning. :)

Excellent! Glad you are enjoying the product. :D

Akecj7

Observer
The icon will show you as stopped, but the recorded GPX track should included all lat/lon points that were sent in from the GPS. Overland Navigator doesn't proces the data from the GPS, it just dumps it into the GPX file as-is.

Thanks Craig.

craig

It's not supported, but you can sort of do that now. The waypoint symbols are all SVG files created with the free "Inkscape" program.

I say "sort of" because the SVG rendering engine I'm using is really really picky about what is contained inside the SVG files and tends to create all sorts of lame renderings of them if it finds something in the SVG it doesn't support. The SVG rendering engine is being replaced in the next version. I always intended the POI symbols to be user extensible, and once the engine is updated I'll document the process and support it. For now you are on your own on the "bleeding edge". :)

So, roughly:

Install Inkscape
Go into C:\Program Files\Spatial Minds\Overland Navigator\Symbols\Default\Point
Copy one of the existing SVG files to the new symbol you want
Edit the new symbol in Inkscape and save it.

There are additional symbols in the following directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Spatial Minds\Overland Navigator\Symbols\APRS\Point
C:\Program Files (x86)\Spatial Minds\Overland Navigator\Symbols\Garmin\Point

The Garmin symbols have some rendering artifacts that show up when displayed in the symbol picker but that look OK when rendered on the map.

Hope that helps you get setup with additional symbols. If you make any additional symbols and want to share them with others, let me know and I'll make them available for download on the SpatialMinds.com website.

Have fun!
Craig

Chazz Layne

Administrator
The SVG rendering engine is being replaced in the next version. I always intended the POI symbols to be user extensible, and once the engine is updated I'll document the process and support it.

For now you are on your own on the "bleeding edge". :)

Awesome on both counts, thanks! I will give it a try.

craig

FYI... don't move the APRS or Garmin symbols, *copy* them to the "default/point" directory to add additional waypoint symbols to the regular symbol picker. If you *move* them, you won't have the appropriate icon available when rendering a Garmin Mapsource based GPX file. Again, note that the Garmin POIs have a ton of rendering artifacts. The APRS symbols are solid though.

Craig

LandyAndy

Adventurer
How about building map packs manually? Maybe you can post details on the Overland Navigator format/ I'm willing to give it a try.

Me too.... come on Craig, there are quite a few guys north of the boarder who are wanting to use your SW........ please :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94