Overland Navigator

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Craig,

Any news yet on an iPad version? I recall you were looking at doing that but haven't heard anything on it in quite some time.

TIA!

MobTuff

Observer
So I'm looking for a good secondary mapping program for the truck. I currently use my windows 7 laptop attached to a RAM mount. I also use Streets and Trips for road navigation that works ok. From what I've read this looks like a nice basic mapping program that's basically taken hi-res topo maps and allows you to see your position on them? Streets and Trips is awful off road. I understand there are no POI icons but are there camp grounds and other markers found on basic maps available?

Also I keep finding really old threads about using APRS with Overland Navigator. If I have a 2 meter radio (Yaesu FT-2900), a laptop and a usb gps buck what kind of TNC is best? Does it show other stations and allow me to send and receive messages?

Any help is really appreciated thanks.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
So I'm looking for a good secondary mapping program for the truck. I currently use my windows 7 laptop attached to a RAM mount. I also use Streets and Trips for road navigation that works ok. From what I've read this looks like a nice basic mapping program that's basically taken hi-res topo maps and allows you to see your position on them? Streets and Trips is awful off road. I understand there are no POI icons but are there camp grounds and other markers found on basic maps available?

Also I keep finding really old threads about using APRS with Overland Navigator. If I have a 2 meter radio (Yaesu FT-2900), a laptop and a usb gps buck what kind of TNC is best? Does it show other stations and allow me to send and receive messages?

Any help is really appreciated thanks.

Overland Navigator allows you to mark your own POIs and to view POIs that are inside of existing GPX files. It doesn't have a built in database of POIs that you can search.

The maps show the standard information that is on a USGS Topo map. You can add additional POIs by including a GPX file with the POIs you are interested in. You'd need to find that data on your own though.

Yes, Overland Navigator works as a bi-directional GPS so you can wire it up to a radio like the Kenwood D710 that supports APRS station output over NMEA0183 and it will show the stations. The User Guide contains more detailed information on which setups either myself or other users have tested and documented. As a fellow enthusiast I pride myself on providing great tech support so you guys can get out and enjoy yourself on the trail. This feature has limited tech support as it is impossible for me to understand everyone's unique setup and it can take a great deal of time to sort through. Users here on Expedition Portal and on other websites are pretty experienced at setting it up though, so there are resources available. Using a setup that's documented in the User Guide is the easiest way to have success though. :)

User Guide is available at: http://overlandnavigator.com/s/UserGuide201.pdf
APRS is documented in the Appendices.

Craig

FishPOET

Adventurer
Thanks for the update on the iPhone/iPad version progress.

It has only been 16 months since your announcement.

MobTuff

Observer
Overland Navigator allows you to mark your own POIs and to view POIs that are inside of existing GPX files. It doesn't have a built in database of POIs that you can search.

The maps show the standard information that is on a USGS Topo map. You can add additional POIs by including a GPX file with the POIs you are interested in. You'd need to find that data on your own though.

Yes, Overland Navigator works as a bi-directional GPS so you can wire it up to a radio like the Kenwood D710 that supports APRS station output over NMEA0183 and it will show the stations. The User Guide contains more detailed information on which setups either myself or other users have tested and documented. As a fellow enthusiast I pride myself on providing great tech support so you guys can get out and enjoy yourself on the trail. This feature has limited tech support as it is impossible for me to understand everyone's unique setup and it can take a great deal of time to sort through. Users here on Expedition Portal and on other websites are pretty experienced at setting it up though, so there are resources available. Using a setup that's documented in the User Guide is the easiest way to have success though. :)

User Guide is available at: http://overlandnavigator.com/s/UserGuide201.pdf
APRS is documented in the Appendices.

Craig

Ok so as long as I have a NMEA compatible gps I'm ok. Does the program also support APRS messaging? If that's the case I might just pull the trigger and get it. ...Oh wow California is 90 bucks. Damn why is everything in California more haha.

craig

Yes, an NMEA compatible GPS is all that's needed for input. Something like the GlobalSat BU-353 is simple and works great.

It doesn't support APRS messaging or any of the actual APRS protocol. The easiest way to understand how it works is to read through the APRS section in the User Guide as it has pictures and a carefully written description.

Craig

scarydriver

Observer
Thanks for the update on the iPhone/iPad version progress.

It has only been 16 months since your announcement.

Seriously, he answers questions related to other versions, but just ignores any of them related to the iOS version?! Nice...

Craig - if you're still working on the iOS version, we would just like an update - we're not expecting a firm release date or anything. If you've abandoned the project, just let us know so we can move on to a different product...

craig

Sorry about not answering the question. I did avoid answering it publicly as the reasons for the delay are personal.

The project isn't dropped and I'm as excited about it as ever. A group of us joined up a while back to come up with some really great features that aren't available in any of the other mapping apps. After that conversations I reached out to several global map data providers, but that doesn't look like it's something that I'll be able to make happen in the initial release. The UI design still needs a lot of work. I've been able to write some of the code for the basic feature set, but none of the more involved features.

This month won't see much development as I'm moving and recently started a new job. September+ I'll be back at it as I settle into the recent changes and have more personal time to chug away at this.

Thanks to all of you for your patience.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Craig (and others with experience), I have some hardware questions regarding APRS and ON.

I plan to use ON for Android on a Nexus 7.2 tablet. Since I'll soon be installing a Kenwood D710 in my rig, I looked at your online manual and read the two APRS sections. My question is about connectivity for APRS between the radio and Overland Navigator.

First, does anyone have experience with the Nexus's on-board GPS? Can it supply the NMEA data that the D710 needs?

Whether or not I need a separate GPS, such as the Green Light Labs model, to get the NMEA data transferred to ON I need to connect the D710 and the tablet. Correct me if I'm wrong: you have to buy Kenwood's PG-5H adapter cable which goes from the mini-DIN 8-pin out on the radio to an RS-232 serial connector. From that connection to the Nexus tablet is problematic. There are a few RS-232 serial to USB adapters out there, but the Nexus has a micro USB. What intrigues me is something like this IOGear serial to bluetooth adapter: http://www.iogear.com/product/GBS301/.

What's the opinion out there on using bluetooth to connect the tablet running Overland Navigator with the D710?

craig

Craig (and others with experience), I have some hardware questions regarding APRS and ON.

I plan to use ON for Android on a Nexus 7.2 tablet.

Thanks for the interest. Overland Navigator isn't an Android application. If you wish to use Overland Navigator, you'll need a Windows based tablet or laptop.

Regards,
Craig

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Ah, I misunderstood last year's info to mean that it was in the works for Android. I see now that the Apple folks have held sway.

Any luck using bluetooth with the Windows tablet? I saw a post of yours on 4x4Ham saying that this was one of your goals.

craig

Any luck using bluetooth with the Windows tablet? I saw a post of yours on 4x4Ham saying that this was one of your goals.

I was able to get bluetooth working with a TinyTracker 4 using a serial to BT converter. Once I had it working over serial, it was pretty easy to switch to Bluetooth.

If you are still interested in Overland Navigator, I can answer your questions about the D710 (Have a read through the APRS section of the User Guide in addition to the appendix on D710 setup).
- You will use a GPS (either Bluetooth or USB/Serial) such as the GlobalSat BU-353 to provide the Windows tablet with lat/lon information. Unless of course the tablet comes with an NMEA GPS built in.
- You will run a second wire from the tablet to the GPS input port on the D710. This wire is a two way connection:
* Overland Navigator will pass the GPS data along to the D710 so you do not need a GPS such as the Greenlight labs unit.
* The D710 will convert APRS data into NMEA (GPS) waypoints and send those waypoints to Overland Navigator (which will display them on-screen)

Hope that helps,
Craig

KellyM

Adventurer
Hi Craig:

I see that Dell is coming out with a reasonably priced 8" tablet running Windows 8.1 with USB and SD connectivity. Any chance that Windows 8.1 will work with the Windows based ON? Alternatively, any ETA for iOS version?

Thanks,

Kelly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz