Overland Navigator

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'm not sure if Windows 8.1 will work or not. I don't have a device to test it on.

I'm finally settled in after my move, new job, and a plethora of other things. I actually did some coding on Overland Navigator for iOS on Friday night. That said, My head is nowhere near wrapped around this project enough to provide an ETA. I'm just going to dive into it as I have time in the evenings. Once I have it to a point that it's useful to you guys I'll put it in the App Store.

scarydriver

Observer
I actually did some coding on Overland Navigator for iOS on Friday night. That said, My head is nowhere near wrapped around this project enough to provide an ETA. I'm just going to dive into it as I have time in the evenings. Once I have it to a point that it's useful to you guys I'll put it in the App Store.

I'm excited to hear that you're still plugging away at the iOS version - thanks for the update! :)

206WJ

Observer
I'm also curious about the windows 8.1....

...I am in Seattle and can bring my Surface Pro2 for you to test on if you ever want to. I would like to know before I buy it.

vegansbane

EDIT: resolved in the next 2 posts! Thanks!

---

I've been working to replace my aging netbook, and installing Overland Navigator (v2.0.1) on my new tablet is a key part of that process. When I attempted the installation last night, on Windows 8 (32-bit), I received an error stating "Unable to connect to registration server." immediately after entering my serial number and clicking "Next". I figured this might be a windows 8 issue, but on a lark, I upgraded to 8.1 and gave it another try - with the same result.

Assuming I'd been right about Windows 8, I decided to double-check myself by trying to install it on my Windows 7 gaming PC, as my netbook is Windows 7, so I figured it'd work and I'd at least know it was just a quirk to Win 8. Unfortunately - and surprisingly - the installer threw the same error on the Windows 7 system.

Assuming there was an issue with the network communications, I dropped into my router and did a packet capture during the process, and interestingly noticed that there was nothing on the wire at all - no DNS lookups, not attempts to connect to any systems whatsoever. So I don't think this is a network issue.

Any ideas what might be causing this? As I mentioned, I did get this installed on my old netbook (maybe a year or so ago?), running Windows 7, without any trouble that I recall. Has there been a windows update that breaks the installer? Some change to windows' firewall that would block outgoing connections like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

craig

Hey Jon,

I released an updated installer last spring. Send me your product serial number (via email) and I'll send you a fresh download link.

Microsoft also patched the underlying C++ Runtime Dependencies and and made a security patch to the Microsoft MFC Runtime Dependencies. Those are both available for download at http://overlandnavigator.com/support.

Email me if you have any trouble. Happy to help.

Craig

vegansbane

Hey Jon,

I released an updated installer last spring. Send me your product serial number (via email) and I'll send you a fresh download link.

Microsoft also patched the underlying C++ Runtime Dependencies and and made a security patch to the Microsoft MFC Runtime Dependencies. Those are both available for download at http://overlandnavigator.com/support.

Email me if you have any trouble. Happy to help.

Craig

Dang Craig, that was fast! The new installer solved my problem perfectly - thank you so much for the prompt, helpful, and off-hours response!
I know I mentioned it before, but brilliant software, by the way!

KellyM

Adventurer
So, Vegansbane it sounds like you got ON to run on windows 8.1. Is that right? I was wondering whether it would work with 8.1 as was thinking of picking up a new Dell tablet with 8.1 specifically for off-road navigation. Thanks.

vegansbane

Absolutely. It's working without issue on Win 8.1 32-bit. I'm using bluetooth to communicate with a TinyTrak4 via the TT4BT serial->bluetooth module. No problems to report, now that I got the new installer from Craig.

So, Vegansbane it sounds like you got ON to run on windows 8.1. Is that right? I was wondering whether it would work with 8.1 as was thinking of picking up a new Dell tablet with 8.1 specifically for off-road navigation. Thanks.

working fine on windows 8.1 dell venue 8" tablet with bluetooth gps puck
e4u8a7er.jpg

bluehash

Adventurer
Hello,
Just wanted to know if this is still around. I see no screenshots in the weblink. The video link in the first post is broken. Hard to buy what you cannot see. Could you post some screenshots? Is there a trial/demo?

craig

Yep, it's still around. If you contact me via email (the contact form on the website) I'll send you the images I have.

silvrzuki77

explorer
I was wondering what happened to you guys! I still think your program is the best giving such detail. Any news for ipads? Lost my Nevada disk! Need to transfer to a tablet soon.

craig

Life happened and priorities had to be adjusted for a bit.

Cutting to the chase, I was literally writing code for the next version of Overland Navigator when I received this notification. At a personal level, I have the TDI installed in my truck, started taking trips again. After using version 2.1 for my last trip I'm eager to get the new version done (A complete re-write to support multiple platforms). In particular I want to improve the trip planning capabilities and improve the overall workflow to make planning and travel easier than ever.

I'm still selling and supporting the current version. I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface 3 and it runs beautifully on it. Expect to see updated website graphics and instructional videos through the fall. There are a few hidden features that I added for teams competing in the Nevada Trophy a while back that should be useful to anyone chasing waypoints.

A sincere thanks to everyone for your continued interest in the product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne