Overland Navigator

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I live in Washington myself, and would love to have the BC Topos put together. We are going to finish the Continental US before beginning work on the Canadian Topo Map-packs.

Craig

LandyAndy

Adventurer
I live in Washington myself, and would love to have the BC Topos put together. We are going to finish the Continental US before beginning work on the Canadian Topo Map-packs.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the prompt reply, guess you don't have a timescale on that then ?

I'm working on installing my CF-18 & Gamber Johnson mount in my Land Rover DII and will be needing software & maps very soon. Would it be possible to import the 'back road map book' maps instead of topo's for my local area ?

Or even an aplet so i can do it myself. I'm sure there are loads of others just waiting to use your excellent product :victory: but don't live in the US.

Cheers,
Andy

craig

We don't have permission to create/sell a map-pack based on the backroad map-book, so this isn't likely to be a map-pack that we will create.

Overland Navigator doesn't come with any tools for a user to create their own map-packs at this time.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the prompt reply, guess you don't have a timescale on that then ?

I'm working on installing my CF-18 & Gamber Johnson mount in my Land Rover DII and will be needing software & maps very soon. Would it be possible to import the 'back road map book' maps instead of topo's for my local area ?

Or even an aplet so i can do it myself. I'm sure there are loads of others just waiting to use your excellent product :victory: but don't live in the US.

Cheers,
Andy

SoCal_80

Explorer
Does someone know the install size of the application? In other words, how much disk space does the application and let's say the SoCal topo maps take up ? Can i simply install maps for a smaller portion of SoCal or do i need to install the entire "map pack"? Can the maps and or entire product be installed to compact flash or other removable media and then run from the tablet PC ?

Lastly, is there a trial version of the product ? I would love to be able to use it for a few days prior to dropping some $$.:elkgrin:

Thanks!
Sean

craig

Does someone know the install size of the application? In other words, how much disk space does the application and let's say the SoCal topo maps take up ? Can i simply install maps for a smaller portion of SoCal or do i need to install the entire "map pack"? Can the maps and or entire product be installed to compact flash or other removable media and then run from the tablet PC ?

Lastly, is there a trial version of the product ? I would love to be able to use it for a few days prior to dropping some $$.:elkgrin:

Thanks!
Sean

The application itself occupies about 16mb on disk. The maps depend on the map-pack. The Map-pack installer only allows for the entire purchased map region to be installed. In the case of SoCal that is about 8gb.

I'm not sure I understand your question about removable media. You have to run the installer on the machine where the software will run, so you can't install to removable media on one computer then move that removable media to another computer.

You can install the software anywhere you want as long as there is room. Each Map-pack series (USGS Topos, Satellite Imagery, or in the future Canadian/Mexico Topos) can be installed anywhere you want. You can't install CA North to one location, CA South to a different location, but you can install USGS Topos to one location and the Satellite Imagery to a different location.

Raster maps are large and take time to load. We encourage you to install to hard disk or other media that has a fast access time.

Craig

SoCal_80

Explorer
The application itself occupies about 16mb on disk. The maps depend on the map-pack. The Map-pack installer only allows for the entire purchased map region to be installed. In the case of SoCal that is about 8gb.

I'm not sure I understand your question about removable media. You have to run the installer on the machine where the software will run, so you can't install to removable media on one computer then move that removable media to another computer.

You can install the software anywhere you want as long as there is room. Each Map-pack series (USGS Topos, Satellite Imagery, or in the future Canadian/Mexico Topos) can be installed anywhere you want. You can't install CA North to one location, CA South to a different location, but you can install USGS Topos to one location and the Satellite Imagery to a different location.

Raster maps are large and take time to load. We encourage you to install to hard disk or other media that has a fast access time.

Craig

Thank you for getting back to me. The reason i ask is that i have a very lightweight tablet pc that i have fro work i would like to use but it only has a 8gb of solid state drive (non-upgradeable). It does however have a slot for compact flash that i can in theory load the maps to. I am very interested but would hate to purchase it and find out it will not work for my application. Is there any thought of providing a trial version of your app?

craig

The maps are too big for a downloadable trial version. If we can't get it working, you have 30 days to return it.

Echodawg

Wanderer
I am very interested in this software but had a few questions. I apologize if they have been asked before.

I notice that the software can be controlled via touch screen and keyboard but can it also be contolled via a mouse?

Lastly, I know that you can record your current postion as a waypont but can you pre-set a waypoint that you could then drive too?

craig

Yep, a mouse works great. The large buttons are easier to hit with a mouse than small toolbar buttons and menus so it's actually easier to use than most software.

There isn't a "Go To" type of function in the current release. It will be included in either the upcoming patch release 2.0.1 or the next minor release 2.1.

Craig

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Hi Craig,

I've been trying to contact Dale from 'Ibycus' about using his topo maps for your application. His websites dead & there now available from torrent sites.

There already tiled & cropped but in Garmin .img format. I've managed to convert a couple to the Oziexplorer .map format & open them in Ozi. Would this format work with your software ? Just getting a dozen or so maps working for my local area would be a great start.

Andy

craig

Overland Navigator doesn't support the .img format directly. I haven't researched if it is possible to convert them, and if so what steps it would require.

Craig

Echodawg

Wanderer
On your California map packs, where (approximately) is the cutoff from South to Central and Central to North?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior