Overland Navigator

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I've received a bunch of PMs and emails asking if there was a demo version or a demo video of Overland Navigator. I put together a short video yesterday that will hopefully help.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or suggestions. We'd love to hear from you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Gz4xXWt1Q

craig

Craig,
the link is not showing as a link.

Brian

Still? I tried using the phpBB [youtube][/youtube] tag but it doesn't seem to be supported here. I edited the post to be a regular link. Hopefully it is showing up that way now.

craig

Are there any plans for Mac software in the future?

Not currently. We love the the Mac, and the more requests we get for a port the more likely we are to do so.

While we probably wouldn't support it, I'd love to know if it runs under WINE (Windows Emulation) on the Mac and on a Linux box.

Craig

DaveM

Explorer
While we probably wouldn't support it, I'd love to know if it runs under WINE (Windows Emulation) on the Mac and on a Linux box.

Craig

no reason it shouldn't. we use to run Arc on our macs in virtual win, it ran better than on our one Windows PC!

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I like the automatic loading of GPS tracks from memory cards.

Is this configurable so that you can tell Overland Navigator to automatically check for new new tracks in say "c:\downloaded_tracks,d:\,e:\" or something of that nature?

Do all the tracks end up displayed in the same colour? Just thinking that different colours for different sources (e.g. d: vs e: ) may be a nice touch.

Very cool software!

craig

I like the automatic loading of GPS tracks from memory cards.

Is this configurable so that you can tell Overland Navigator to automatically check for new new tracks in say "c:\downloaded_tracks,d:\,e:\" or something of that nature?

Do all the tracks end up displayed in the same colour? Just thinking that different colours for different sources (e.g. d: vs e: ) may be a nice touch.

Very cool software!

Yes, you can use the Settings Application to specify a directory that is always watched for new files. It will watch one "Track Directory" and all removable media. E.g you could have tracks in your Track Directory (C:\Users\Craig\Documents\GPX), on your SD card, on a USB thumbdrive, and on a DVD and they'd all be displayed simultaneously. Anytime a track is deleted or updated, it will be refreshed onscreen.

We are going to add additional line color options, but right now the current daily track log is shown in semi-transparent grey and all other tracks are shown in blue.

Your suggestion about coloring based on the file source is an interesting one. We'll consider it when we are adding track color support.

redbeard

Adventurer
I really like the interface. I've been working on something like this for myself. Some random questions...

Are you looking at releasing maps for outside the US?

Is there a way to import your own maps?

Anyway, it is a product that looks sweet for a touch screen interface...nice clean easy to use interface.

Also, +1 for the mac.

Do you have a demo avail to see if it works under Wine? I have Crossover wine on this and it runs globalmapper well enough.

craig

I really like the interface. I've been working on something like this for myself. Some random questions...

Are you looking at releasing maps for outside the US?

Is there a way to import your own maps?

Anyway, it is a product that looks sweet for a touch screen interface...nice clean easy to use interface.

Also, +1 for the mac.

Do you have a demo avail to see if it works under Wine? I have Crossover wine on this and it runs globalmapper well enough.

Yes, we are looking at releasing maps outside the US. Canada and Mexico being the first.

Importing your own maps isn't officially supported yet. We haven't decided if or how we want to support this. Unlike other programs that support this feature, Overland Navigator maps are all in one map projection, neatly trimmed to quad boundaries and presented seamlessly. The end user doesn't ever have to manually pick a map when panning and more/less detailed maps are automatically selected when zooming in/out. We do a lot of pre-processing of the maps to make sure that the end user has this easy/seamless map experience.

I'll send you a PM/email about testing WINE compatibility.

daverami

Explorer
I was wondering if you can label map features or add comments to a map, like OziExplorer?

I tried downloading the user manual on your website, but the link did not give me the correct file.

craig

I'll look into and fix the userguide download link. Thanks for letting me know.

Version 2.0 does not have the ability to enter either the comment or name. It uses the symbol name by default. We originally thought that people wouldn't want to do this in the field. That a symbol would be enough. We were wrong and this was the #1 request from the beta testers and customers. We are adding it ASAP.

Version 2.1 will have the ability to edit all waypoint attributes both at the time of recording and after. You'll be able to change the symbol, symbol name, comment, and how it is displayed (Symbol Only, Symbol and Name, Symbol and Comment), etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier