Overland Navigator

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Craig, will Overland Navigator import any geo-referenced raster, or only data from the map packs? If only from the map packs than that's the biggest change I would suggest for your next iteration of ON, move to an open file import model and away from proprietary map data. Allow users to import directly from downloadable sources like USGS or utilize custom cartography for special purposes or regions.

GREAT input David. Post it on the Facebook page and we can discuss it out in the open. Let's make the next version of Overland Navigator *exactly* what we as a community need.

The short answer to your question is an emphatic YES. I still need to hash out the details. I'd planned to post them up on Facebook, but maybe I should have this discussion via my blog instead. I don't want to exclude anyone just because they aren't into Facebook. :)

Craig

Last edited:

craig

I'm not on Facebook so can't vote directly but I'll put one in over here for iOS. I'd say OSX as well but I think there's some good anecdotal evidence out there that OSX will eventually be replaced with a desktop version of iOS anyway.

Just to clarify a bit here. The current map-pack format isn't proprietary at all. I never documented it or publicized it widely because I can't afford to support people making their own map-packs, but the format itself isn't proprietary or closed at all. In fact, using open standards, and open tools for map-pack creation was one of the first goals I made for Overland Navigator 1.0. A resourceful GIS person could pretty easily figure out how it works. ;) Think of it as a gatekeeper obstacle. If someone can figure out what I'm doing, then they are on top of it enough that I won't have to support them. :)

That said, I'm changing the format for Overland Navigator 3.0 and am going to completely open up the map creation process. The old format is roughly:

Each quad is a GeoTiff in EPSG:4326
ESRI shapefile w/ the bounds of each quad (clipped so the legend and borders don't appear)
A bunch of registry settings that point to 1 shapefile for each zoom level.

Everything is open, editable by standard GIS tools, or tools built into the OS.

I'll write it up as a blog entry on my website sometime in the next few days. http://spatialminds.com/blog

Craig

craig

Overland Navigator 3.0 for iOS Design Reviews

As many of you aren't on Facebook, I decided to move the entire discussion about Overland Navigator 3.0 to my website blog. http://spatialminds.com/blog/
This is where all of the feature design documents will be released for public comment before implementation.

There are three ways to be notified of new blog entries:

- RSS - The blog supports RSS.
- Facebook - If you "Like" the Overland Navigator Facebook page @ http://facebook.com/overlandnavigator you'll receive notifications when the page has been updated.
- Twitter - If you "Follow" us on Twitter you'll receive notifications when the page has been updated.

craig

Facebook hater here....would love to see an iPhone/iPad version.

I've switched to my blog... http://spatialminds.com/blog (has an RSS feed)

No need to vote on this one anymore. With community input, I've decided to build for iPhone/iPad next, have a 4S, new iPad, and have my development toolchain all configured. I'm starting in on the use-cases to support next.

Craig

Cody1771

Explorer

No need to vote on this one anymore. With community input, I've decided to build for iPhone/iPad next, have a 4S, new iPad, and have my development toolchain all configured. I'm starting in on the use-cases to support next.

Craig

i would be intrested in the iphone version! i have it on my andriod tablet and its awsome! im happy you set it up to work with the canadian maps as well. one thing i couldnt find any info on is it possible to import garmin style maps into the andriod app?

craig

Hey Cody,

I think you might be confusing Overland Navigator with another app. Currently we don't offer an Android version (Windows only w/ iPhone/iPad version in the works). Version 2.0 doesn't support Garmin style maps.

Craig

craig

Craig

Thanks man! Working on use-cases now, then features, and UI design. I hope a lot of you will provide design review and feedback as I work through the process.

Cody1771

Explorer
Hey Cody,

I think you might be confusing Overland Navigator with another app. Currently we don't offer an Android version (Windows only w/ iPhone/iPad version in the works). Version 2.0 doesn't support Garmin style maps.

Craig

sorry was confusing it with "backcountry navigator"

shogun

Adventurer
I think you're looking for hardware support recommendations(?) here but I posted my software upgrade wishlist on the blog. Here is a repost;

1. scale bar, along bottom in miles/km, selectable on/off

2. north up/norm orientation; runs map in either north up for easy reading of map print (like now) or spins map in direction of travel to allow easy location of terrain features and position checking enroute.

3. data block; displays various data (selectable) like speed, heading, ave moving speed, sunset/sunrise, present time, maybe up to four items with entire block selectable on/off.

a. a neat feature would be a quick access/resetable odometer which you toggle/reset with one key to monitor leg distances. "from last intersection start leg dist to upcoming bridge", reset, "next leg is 1.8 miles to intersection".

4. would like to see the map pack go up to 500k scale for a little longer reach route planning. Many times I am limited in long-range view to decide route to next dest. Slewing gets dicey while driving because it resets quickly and cant see alternate routes on screen.

5. ability to set opacity on the recorded route line. When recording route the line obscures map details easily.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

In using ON lately I find the lack of scales to be a Big issue. I need to determine distance to X mapfeature and crosscheck progress on vehicle odometer. Use fingers to yardstick the screen. The quick leg odo (in bottom left corner)would be a good co-feature with this. Alot of "roads" that are on map are no really on ground out here (and vise-versa), so its sometimes critical to check distance to turn so as to select the correct track.

I still want "north-up" and "Normal" orientation.

Data block; its kinda silly to have all the data available but not viewable. I am having to run a second gps to obtain time/dist/speed data. View up to four items, of which you can select from a many item menu. Selectable on or off.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
No need to vote on this one anymore. With community input, I've decided to build for iPhone/iPad next, have a 4S, new iPad, and have my development toolchain all configured.

If you need another alpha tester you know where to find me. :)

craig

Thanks for the input Alex (Shogun). I'm working on the initial Use-case list now and will make another blog post with them as soon as the initial cut is finished. Then you guys can toss in any additional use-cases you'd like to see supported and we can discuss them a bit before creating the feature list to support in the first iOS release. I'll mock up the UI as a wireframe, solicit input on that, then start implementing. The first version will be lean, but I'll keep adding features 2-3 at a time and push updates to the App Store.

Thanks Chazz!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
With community input, I've decided to build for iPhone/iPad next, have a 4S, new iPad, and have my development toolchain all configured. I'm starting in on the use-cases to support next.

Craig

Craig,

Glad to hear youll be making an ipad version. Will be interested to learn your pricing schema for that platform. FWIW, I've purchased several iOS navigation apps. Everything from complex to simple. Currently I use something simpler (Scenic Maps) for the trips I've been putting together. So far it's been ideal due to its simplicity (part of my KISS objective) although I would like to see it with higher res map data and more detailed topo line info but the interface and functionality otherwise has been sufficient for my needs.

That said if you offered a similar solution but using higher resolution topo info, I'd definitely be taking a serious look at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles