The Great White Buffalo

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Great job with the truck! A white 80 is my favorite, and I've long thought that a '91 or '92 FJ might be the best for an expedition build (non-electronic transmission, and I wouldn't feel as guilty throwing away that 3FE as I would a 1FZ-FE for a diesel conversion, hehe).

BTW, that mirror thing is pretty common, though it usually happens on the driver side (I think the repetitive open/close cycles on that door cause it to happen more often on that side). Interesting fix, let us know if it holds up. When it happened on my old 80, I drilled out either side (where you have inserted the nails) and used a bent piece of coat hanger wire inset into the holes and secured with epoxy, to reform what was the original plastic loop.

I actually bought the 1991 specifically because it was basic. I wanted as few electronic sensors and systems as posisble, while still maintaining a modicum of comfort and modernity. I share your thoughts on the diesel, or possibly a V8 conversion.

I found out during this repair process that the driver side has already been "repaired" to the point that the mirror cant be removed....great.

Coat hanger was on my list if the nails didnt work. I also thought about some picture frame wire too.

Well, after a few days of cure time on the AquaMend, some drill and dremel work, and a test fit to make sure everything was right, the mirror is back on and does not wiggle at all!

MirrorRepair015.jpg

MirrorRepair016.jpg

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Just a small triumph to report, and although I thought it a fluke, over 6 tanks, I have been proven wrong.

I've taken 3 trips recently, 2 to phoenix, and one to Sierra Vista, and while traveling at 60-62 mph with the AC on, I have had gas mileage of 17.7-18.1!

Given that this thing usually gets 12-13 in the city, I'm very happy. Now, once I replace the 02 sensors, and fix some smog items, I'll be excited to see the results then.

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
IIRC these trucks were designed to cruise at ~90 km/h (~55 mi/h). Do your PM stuff and try it at that speed on secondary roads. Maybe you'll break 20 mi/gal.

imagodave

Adventurer
Wow, Great Find and Great Name....
OK.....What's a birf?
I googled it and it came back as a nickname for Matthew...........
Confused in Fresno.:(

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Fergie...you break 20mpg in the 80 and I'll buy you a six pack of your choice.

-H-
I think I'd be waiting for a while then...20mpg might be a bit hard to do.

Dave- Birf is short for birfield...the steering joint...just a different design for transferring power in a non-straight line.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
G-

Can't wait to hear your results after a little more tuning, jealous of the mileage!

Dave hear is an image.

rrbirfield6.jpg

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Shipped on Monday, came home from my appt at 9:00AM this morning and found them in the driveway...FedEx is fast.
P1010154.jpg

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
LOL...I'd think twice about that gents....Ex Army who lives "in the country" ...better find a softer target....:elkgrin:

Can't wait to see 'em installed Fergie!

-H-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier