Need new storage ideas for a TJ

alosix

Expedition Leader
I need to find a better lockable way to keep tools in the TJ.

I currently run a tuffy full length floor box. It served its purposed driving out to CA by keeping most of my tools on hand and locked up, but its downsides are starting to drive me nuts.

1.) it seems to really echo a minor driveline vibe I've had. Its picking up a harmonic of something (track bar is into the gas tank skid, its on the list, but it will be a while) at about 45mph. Goes away @ 50, but its annoying.

2.) Things always seem to get hung up either on the support ribs or on the lock part making it hard/impossible to open.

3.) I 'foamed' it with cutouts to try and keep the tools quiet, but then last weekend I went to pismo and bounced the Jeep around a bit. A pair of channel locks popped out out of their cutout a bit, caught a rib, and I had to bend the box to get something in there to move the tool out of the way to even be able to open it.

So.. Kinda done with that box, looking for new options.

1.) Needs to carry enough tools to be able to tear the Jeep apart and put it back together.

2.) Needs to leave room for loading/unloading stuff (its still the grocery getting after all this time.., I've had the Jeep for 12 years now).

3.) Most importantly. Needs to leave room for the dog. GSD Akita mix. ~80lbs and lankey.

Thinking of something up on the fenders, but have yet to see anything that I really like. So looking for something a bit out of the box.

I'd also go with another 'cover the whole floor' setup if it worked better than the tuffy one.

Thanks
Jason

Last edited:

JPFreek1

Explorer
Jason, you're in luck. The good folks at Adventure Trailers are currently working on a design of a high quality and functional storage system that will be expressly focused on the TJ platform. We're working with them on some ideas that will hopefully make this the best option for storage in a TJ from anything that's on the market. Stay tuned. :bike_rider:

alosix

Expedition Leader
Sounds good.

Also forgot to add

No backseat :) It hasn't been there in 10 years and I finally got rid of thing 6 months ago :).

If you guys (well the adv trailer guys) need a 'beta' TJ with straight fenders to check fitment, let me know.

Jason

roadkill

Adventurer
I can't wait to see what ya'll come up with. be sure to make an LJ specific model. I was going to get one custom made for the LJ but haven't been able to garner the support and commitement needed to make the minimum run and finances have been too tight lately to pull the trigger on a one off custom unit.

TheMike

Adventurer
It took one weekend trying to cram all I thought I needed for camping, wheeling, and spare parts/tools into my LJ for my wife to say on the way home, "I think we need a trailer". She was right. There, I said it.

GET A CHASER!!!

HPIM2801.jpg

Last edited:

logos

Observer
Have you looked at the Bucket Boss Tool Roll's? You can roll your tools up and leave them in your Tuffy Box. They work great for me and it does not rattle.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I found the courage to spend the dough on a one-off custom drawer from Adventure trailers for my LJ. It should arrive next week. I went with AT over the drawer from Tuffy for several reasons including half the weight and much lower noise transmission. Plus the ability to custom spec the size was too good to pass up.

BlueBomber

Adventurer
got any room under the hood? maybe you can find a place to strap down a tool bag or roll.
i dont have a jeep so i dont know how much under-hood space you have.

TJVach

Observer
Hey what going on. Do you have the underseat style security drawer or the rear cargo drawer? If you have the rear cargo drawer then you should be able to put all your tools in rolls.

Here is a picture of my setup with the underseat style security drawer:
InteriorRearDrawer-1.jpg

alosix

Expedition Leader
Hey what going on. Do you have the underseat style security drawer or the rear cargo drawer? If you have the rear cargo drawer then you should be able to put all your tools in rolls.

Here is a picture of my setup with the underseat style security drawer:
InteriorRearDrawer-1.jpg

That's the drawer I have.. your setup seems to keep things at bay a little better than mine. Been using mine as more of a tool box.

Jason

alosix

Expedition Leader
It took one weekend trying to cram all I thought I needed for camping, wheeling, and spare parts/tools into my LJ for my wife to say on the way home, "I think we need a trailer". She was right. There, I said it.

GET A CHASER!!!

HPIM2801.jpg

Got one of those already, though not quite as bling :)
Looking for tools and recovery equipment storage. I normally drop the trailer at the camp site and go wandering from there.

Jason

Tat

Observer
Unique solutions for the trail bound

We offer a variety of solutions (including tools, oil, water and even toilet paper) when it comes to Jeeps.

Here's how we handle some of those same issues.
http://www.offroadtrailtools.com/shop/

My DD is a Wrangler.

Please feel free to contact us @ 520-579-2079 or email.

No bad prescriptions.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
Post up pics after install will ya?

Sure thing. I will post picks of the drawer and the install when it arrives. The size is a bit of an odd duck. I moved my back seat forward by 2" and removed the padding from under the carpet over the wheel wells. This created the room for a box that measures 34.5" x 24" x 9". The internal volume is equal to the volume in two of AT's standard 20" x 24" x 8.75" drawers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles