FJ60 wet carpet

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Every times it rains I get a wet carpet at the drivers side under the pedals, my old Dodge would leak there when the outside air vent was clogged with leaves, but I dont have anything in the vent of my FJ60. It leaks while parked. I dont seem to get water on my feet while driving.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I would assume that this applies to 60s as it applies to 62s...

On our 62 (and 80), the windshield is supposed to have adhesive applied to the gasket on the windshield frame and the glass. It is in the FSM if you have it. If not, I can dig up the pages and try to post them.

Dave

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Sorry it took so long.

Here are scans from my book:
FJ60scan0001.jpg

FJ60scan0002.jpg

On my buddy's 80, they didn't glue the windshield and he didn't know to insist, so when the monsoons came, his engine computer that is just under the dash on the passenger side got soaked and ruined. I asked him if they glued his windshield, he didn't know. He called the glass company and the manager came to look at his truck, my buddy showed him in the manual where it is to be glued, the glass company paid to have his truck towed to the dealer and repaired (New ECU) they had his interior cleaned, and they put a new windshield and gasket in. Properly, this time.

I only go to one glass place here in Flag and I only ever drop it off so the owner is the one doing the work. He knows to pay attention to the details, and I like that.

Dave

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
I had the same problem. It ended up being the seam sealer in the rain gutter. Pull the chrome strip of the gutter and take a look. Mine had dried up enough and was allowing water to drip down the A pillar.

troutramp

I had the same problem. It ended up being the seam sealer in the rain gutter. Pull the chrome strip of the gutter and take a look. Mine had dried up enough and was allowing water to drip down the A pillar.

what did you do to fix it? i think i have the same problem?

hieronymus

Adventurer
Same problem here with te 80, after a new windshield was installed (without sealant) my feet got wet after the car was parked in the rain.........

troutramp

I found that my windows are all original they have matching numbers except for the rear hatch glass so the windshield has never been out so it still could be an aged gasket? I think its the gutters maybe?

SLOwag

Adventurer
FWIW my 60 leaked in the same place until I replaced the window gasket AND ditched the chrome strip in the process. A good glass shop will try to not damage/break the old glass if it's still in good shape.

troutramp

cabin leak

I dug out some of the old seam sealant in the gutter found a spot that the water might have gotten through. There is indeed a seam in the gutter and my seam sealant had dry rotted out, any suggestions on what I should use to repair/ replace the sealant? i also pulled the seats and the kick panels and saw where the water was in the pillars on both sides it still could be a windsheild gasket I have ordered an OEM gasket hopefully I can find a shop that can re-install with a new gasket and not make the problem worse.

Skrewball

Observer
i have seen the booster to firewall seal cause some wet carpet before. might be worth checking as well.

the windshield seal leak is very common.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Do you have (or have you had) a roof rack? If the windshield is original the next suspect would be a leaking drip rail. This is pretty common on Landcruisers that use the drip rails for support a roof rack.

troutramp

Do you have (or have you had) a roof rack? If the windshield is original the next suspect would be a leaking drip rail. This is pretty common on Landcruisers that use the drip rails for support a roof rack.

no roof rack while i have had it. I am repairing/ replacing the seam sealant once I find out what to use. Have talked to several "experts" no one knows what to use lol???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94