Inflatable kayaks dog friendly?

Whitey

Adventurer
So I'm looking to hit the lake with my wife and dog this summer. I have no idea what direction I should looking. A canoe would make sense because it has the most room but to me are extremely bulky to transport long distances.
I was thinking an inflatable kayak because they are convenient and there seems to be some solid options on the market.
420XK_D.jpg

Does anyone have experience with these?
Any other suggestions for hitting the water with the mutt?
Thanks in advance, gentlemen.

swanyo

Observer
We have that same boat and it is made with heavy duty material. I would think that a dog would be no problem but I have not tried it yet with our dog. Normally the boat is full with the family and no room for the dog. It can handle rough treatment around rocks so I know I will let my 65lbs dog take a trip with me some day.

corbin8or

Adventurer
when I was out a couple weeks ago, I saw a few rafts with dogs the were all AIRE brand. That is what i was on and it seemed very very durable. I think you will be fine.

go4aryd

Adventurer
I have an Aire Lynx II, and also an older vinyl boat.

Single wall inflatables may be a bit more delicate if his claws get a bit long. The nice thing about the AIRE inflatables is that the outer skin is tough as nails, but isn't air-tight. The inner sleeves contain the air, so Fido can't get to them with his nasty paws/claws. Have had dogs in the Aire, and have fished out of them (nasty hooks) but I don't like either of them near the vinyl boat. Although a puncture can be repaired, it often creates a weak area in the vinyl. Sea Eagle's inexpensive line of boats is made from PolyKrylar, a modified vinyl. Their higher end boats are tough, but I have not seen the new materials in person.

Last edited:

swanyo

Observer
I believe that boat is the Sea Eagle 380x which is made with a 1000 denier fabric. You can pick that up at Costco for $750. I have looked at the Aire products and I would have to agree that they are superior but at a higher cost. I think you would be fine with that boat as an occasional user, it is very tough. Maybe laying a towel down for the dog might be a good idea for added protection.

FettsWay

Adventurer
If you are not completely bought into the idea of inflatable kayaks, you would look into the Mad River recreational canoe. It's not the traditional canoe and might fit your needs for around the same price...plus resale might be better if you and your wife get more introduced to the sport and really figure out what you like and don't like when looking for an upgrade or change. Most local stores around my area carry these and are usually lower than the recommended price on the mad river website.

http://www.madrivercanoe.com/product_subcategory/index/products/recreation/adventure_destiny_series/

you mentioned transporting the kayak, do you mind if I ask what kind of vehicle you have?

I can't tell you how glad I am to be a kayak owner. It's really relaxing to get out on the open water and relax, fish, and enjoy. My dog goes with as well. And not having to deal with motor or fuel is nice and peaceful.

Whitey

Adventurer
you mentioned transporting the kayak, do you mind if I ask what kind of vehicle you have?

I can't tell you how glad I am to be a kayak owner. It's really relaxing to get out on the open water and relax, fish, and enjoy. My dog goes with as well. And not having to deal with motor or fuel is nice and peaceful.

I have a '00 4Runner.

sisu

Adventurer
I am reviving an old thread and asking for advice from here before I ask NRS. What do you think of inflatable raft, rowing platform, wife and Labrador?

ktm360mx

It depends on what you are trying to do, but they work well. We have one,but have more people. With 2 people, a raft with rowing platform is heavy. doable, but heavy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles