Question on differential vents

kerry

Expedition Leader
My rear differential vents via a hose into the tube to which the shocks attach. This seems high enough to ford a couple of feet. The front differential has some kind of rubber valve on it. Does anyone know if that rubber front valve is a one way valve or do I need to put a piece of hose in it's place and raise up the vent for fording?

Layonnn

Adventurer
My rear differential vents via a hose into the tube to which the shocks attach. This seems high enough to ford a couple of feet. The front differential has some kind of rubber valve on it. Does anyone know if that rubber front valve is a one way valve or do I need to put a piece of hose in it's place and raise up the vent for fording?

Regardless of whether it is a one way valve or not, i would re-route all my breathers up to at least higher than the wheel wells.

I have done my rear axle, front, trans, and transfer case all with breather tubes up high.

engineer

Adventurer
I've never had any issues with breather vents where they are, I've had trouble with Pinion seals on the rear diffs letting water in when the lads don't let them cool down before driving into cold water. doesn't take long, only about 1/2 minute to drop temp and make it not as savage. I've found it's when the diff cools quickly, they can't get enough air in through the breather, so they suck it in through the seals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier