Zodi users

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I just picked up a small Zodi shower at my local Wall mart. Does any body have any tips on using it? How many gallons in a bucket should I need for a shower? I carry lots of water but during testing I needed to run the water back in the bucket to knock the chill off of it before the heater will get it hot.
Whats your real wold experience using one? Do the 4D batteries last?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4698021

Uticon

Adventurer
I just picked up a Zodi double burner shower at Sportsmens Warehouse in Pocatello ID for 40% off. They are closing a few stores due their economic situation.
Havent even taken the parts out of the bubble wrap.
Im with Stump, any tips the instructions may not tell you?
:victory:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I use this setup as well, few years now with zero issues.

ALWAYS have the pump running if the propane is lit, i'v read where you can overheat the heating element.

I drop the pump in a dedicated scepter canister, warm it to temp as you did. Then adjust heat accordingly... if at all.

Carry spare batt's but they do last a good while.

Search here for a shower head replacment, i need to find something better than the original.

Raising the water source aids with better pressure.

Last edited:

James86004

Expedition Leader
We are pretty disappointed with ours.

It worked great the first time we used it. The second time, the pump would make noise, but no water would get through. We tried priming it, putting in new batteries, and cleaning it, to no avail. We called Zodi, and they said the pump was not covered under warranty - please pay $25 for a new one. Since the first one lasted only 2 showers, were weren't about to do that.

I have since replaced it with a windshield washer pump connected to a 12 volt battery. It works a lot better.

James

Disco0311

Observer
James,
Do you have any pics of the windshield washer pump set up.
Very intresting, Thanks

It worked great the first time we used it. The second time, the pump would make noise, but no water would get through. We tried priming it, putting in new batteries, and cleaning it, to no avail. We called Zodi, and they said the pump was not covered under warranty - please pay $25 for a new one. Since the first one lasted only 2 showers, were weren't about to do that.

I have since replaced it with a windshield washer pump connected to a 12 volt battery. It works a lot better.

James

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader

James

Thanks for the tip on customer service after the sale. I guess I won't be buying a Zodi.

James86004

Expedition Leader
James,
Do you have any pics of the windshield washer pump set up.
Very intresting, Thanks

No, and it is packed away inside our tent trailer right now, so it is hard to get to.

I took the windshield washer pump off the Range Rover I am parting out. I tried the headlight washer pump first, but it was too powerful - the shower head would want to whip around all over the place when you set it back into the bucket. I got some stiff copper wire and wound it around the body of the pump, and made a hook so it could hook onto the side of the bucket. I wired it to my jump pack, and use the switch on the jump pack to turn it on and off.

The heater coil part of the Zodi works great, and we have never had a problem with that.

mrblond

Observer
I like the Zodi but the pumps die after just a few uses. You can rebuild the pumps in the field and get it to work again for a few more times in a pinch.

I don 't like the shower head either but the burner is pretty solid. I replaced the shower head with a metal pistol grip type garden sprayer. Easy on and off with one hand.

I think the pumps cost about .50 cents made in china so I will replace it with a $15.00 boat bilge pump. I also like the batt pack but I won't know how the batts will hold up with a real pump.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I've had this Zodi for about 6 years and it's always worked well.
6184b.jpg

I've found the batteries last a long time. At least about 15 showers or so (you can also get a 12v pump that works with them).
If I'm not washing my hair the water in sorage container is enough, though I usually use a 20L jeery can, hate running out of water while all soapy.

mrblond

Observer
I've had this Zodi for about 6 years and it's always worked well.
6184b.jpg

I've found the batteries last a long time. At least about 15 showers or so (you can also get a 12v pump that works with them).
If I'm not washing my hair the water in sorage container is enough, though I usually use a 20L jeery can, hate running out of water while all soapy.

The motor in your pic looks a bit different then the two I have and the batt pack too.I bought mine 6 or 7 years ago.

What was happening with the pump was the seal to the prop would leak into the motors armature. It would still run because the leak was small enough then the water would corrode the brushes and amrature.

btw,
1. I fill the Zodi 3 gal storage container
2. run the pump and burner to temp
3. shut down the burner
4. use the shower.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The motor in your pic looks a bit different then the two I have and the batt pack too.I bought mine 6 or 7 years ago.
Yeah, on closer look they are different than mine as well. I thought they'd just gone from a green case (like mine) to the red case.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the tips. I think I swap my bucket for a stainless steel pail from a farm store. That way I can preheat the water on a stove or by the fire. Thanks for the tip to raise the bucket also. That will help a lot when the batterys are low. I'll be Jeeping and dirt bike riding for 7 days in Moab and I'm sure to give it a full work-out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior