BKCowGod's 1980 Cherokee Chief Build Thread

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I don't know. I also have an exhaust manifold gasket issue (the issue being that I don't have an exhaust manifold gasket) so I'm not really sure what the truck ACTUALLY sounds like.

Anything's quieter than the dual glasspacks in the old J2000.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Another weekend, another few oz of blood on the ground...

Today was quite productive. Did the TFI upgrade and replaced the blown (for the 2nd time) passenger exhaust manifold gasket with one from Remflex. So much better. Exhaust gasket is pretty straightforward, but I do have a few comments regarding TFI.

Kragen tried to charge me $45 for a cheap coil and $22 for a dizzy cap adapter. I got both, along with a mounting bracket and coil wire, Ford OE, from Pick-N-Pull for much cheaper.

Full parts list:
From 1980 Jeep Cherokee with 360
* Champion RN14YC spark plugs, gapped to .044 - $13.50

From 1989 Ford F250 4x4 with 460
* General Cable silicon ignition wire set (Kragen 6201)- $19
* Niehoff Pro Power distributor cap (Kragen FF79CS) - $11.99
* OEM Coil (pick-n-pull) - $7.00
* OEM Dizzy Cap Adapter (pick-n-pull) - $4.00

From 1984 Ford F250 4x4 with 460
* BWD NASCAR Select distributor rotor (Kragen D166) - $6.99

This stuff really is plug-and-play. Just make sure to keep track of which wire goes where. I already notice a difference in starting and idling, and it rolls onto throttle very smoothly now.

Total cost for today: $65 (including Pick-N-Pull entry fee)

pint

Adventurer
WOW! Another great low buck build! Trying to decide between something like this, a Grand Wagoneer (aka Preacherman) and a Land Cruiser FJ60/62? Keep up the fantastic work!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Pint - this is a Grand Wag, just missing a couple of doors and a few inches off the frame.

A guy at work has one of these. I think they are pretty cool. Keep the pictures coming! I love the idea of building it on the cheap! :sombrero:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Finally got some more time, and I am feeling VERY productive.

SUSPENSION
I removed the 3" body lift and replaced it with 1". Just enough that I could still stuff 33's, but much easier to maneuver and quite a bit better looking. Replaced the shocks with Edelbrock IAS units, body lift is from BJ's, had to remove a few extensions installed by the PO to account for the 3" lift. In the process I cracked the front bumper in half (don't ask), so...

BUMPER
Took a piece of 4"x4" square tubing to Steel Werx and had them slap together some brackets. Coming soon: CB antenna, 2x driving lights.

UNDERHOOD
Melted the notorious Motorcraft ignition controller, so I went on eBay and picked up an MSD 6AL. Felt bad with my cheezy plug wires so I went to Summit Racing and got Ford Motorsports 9mm plug wires and a high performance TFI coil. When I get a moment, I think I'm gonna regap my plugs out to .5 (at .44 right now) but I can already really notice the difference with these changes. Highly recommended.

Parts
Steel & Fabrication - $50
MSD 6AL ignition - $100
Ford Motorsports wires - $44
Summit TFI Coil - $29
1" body lift - $45
4x Edelbrock IAS Shocks @ $29/ea - $116
TOTAL: $384

Shown here is the MSD in its temporary resting place, GIANT plug wires, rat's nest of wiring, the invincible Optima battery, and about 150lbs of early 80's smog equipment:
IMG_2078.JPG

I highly recommend these shocks. Edelbrock regularly sells them for $29/ea shipped. Also in this picture is the giant round pumpkin that they so creativelly named the AMC20 and the hanger for the nicely tucked up Flowmaster 40 series.
IMG_2072.JPG

I really do enjoy the new stance, and it is a lot easier to get in. The bumper also makes a great step for under hood work.
IMG_2074.JPG

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Wow - been a while. Panicked rapid preparation for my brother's bachelor party camping trip meant loosening the purse strings a bit. Last month saw the addition of:

* Functioning low range finally (it was free, just had to fab up a proper-length shift linkage to take into account the new smaller body lift).

* Upgraded electrical accessories: GPS now has a dedicated power port under the dash so no wires snake, Music now pushes through an iPod to a Clarion DXZ385USB stereo to four Kenwood speakers that will be switched out to externally amplified elemental designs components eventually. Total cost ($100 deck off eBay, $10 wiring and mounting stuff) - $110
dxz385usb.jpg

* New futon mattress (Gold Bond, brand new in plastic) found on Craigs for $40
DSCF2996.JPG

* Completed roof rack mount for German army surplus shovel: Shovel was $14, two pieces of PVC pipe and hose clamps were $8. Drilled a hole through end of shovel and pipe, stuck a bolt through with a wingnut and shovel is held firmly in place.
DSCF2892.JPG

I think that's about it. This was technically the shakedown run for the Jeep, and it performed admirably. My ignition key switch thingie finally bit the dust, but I have been expecting this for some time. I also vapor locked on a hill and had to deal with that, but that's a Motorcraft carb thing. I may consider a fuel injection swap in the future, but for now it's not a huge issue.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Oh yeah - I also tossed my old driving lights and Firestik on the front bumper, and started the restoration of the evil rear window of DOOM.

DSCF2969.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne