Homemade Roll Top Table

DaveM

Explorer
On page 39 of the latest gear Guide there is great little product, the Roll-Top Table. This really peaked my interest when I saw it but the price seemed a little out of line with what I was looking at. So being a wood worker I set out to re-create it and see what I could make it for. The design is obvious and very simple, a series of slats held in alignment with nylon webbing are then pinned open by two cross slats. The legs screw through the cross slats into the corners of the top outside slats. When pinned together like this the table holds firm, when the legs are undone it rolls up!

I used high ring count VG Doug Fir re-sawn to 3/8” x 1.5” x 36”. The legs are 2’ tall and made of 1” Poplar (not my first choice but cost effective – can be changed later). The lumber cost $26, the webbing and hardware around $8 for a grand total of $34. Significantly less than the one reviewed in OJ.

The Blue Ridge Chair Works tables look well made and are of slightly more expensive Ash. But I think they are over pricing them a bit. I’m not recommending anybody here start competing with them but if you’re even moderately handy and interested in this table try making one yourself.

3430213006_75bbeb98ed.jpg

3429399787_8f15b558f0.jpg

3430212870_c3cd0f8ca3.jpg

3429399465_90984c5f73.jpg

ThomD

Explorer
Nice. Of course, when I factor in my time.... :)

Yeah, I know. Wood working is recreation, so it doesn't count.

When I saw that table in the gear issue, I thought the same thing. I might make mine from clear redwood. How sturdy are your legs? After studying the picture in the gear issue, I thought I might try to design a little sturdier leg. Nice work.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Very Nice!!! I would like to build one. Could you expand on the hardware used. Where you able to source the materials from Home Depot / Ace Hardware?

Thanks

DaveM

Explorer
When I saw that table in the gear issue, I thought the same thing. I might make mine from clear redwood. How sturdy are your legs? After studying the picture in the gear issue, I thought I might try to design a little sturdier leg. Nice work.

With no structure to tie the legs together they are not rock solid, but I was surprised by how tight the table feels when set up. I opted for 2' tall legs instead of the 3' ones in the magazine table because I thought they would make the table too wobbly. If you made a taller table and wanted tighter support you could cross tie the legs together with some extra brace pieces that pop out and roll up with the rest of it. But I think it's probably not worth the extra effort.

As for time cost, my free time is, well... free! ; ) But it only took maybe 2 hours total to put it all together anyway.

DaveM

Explorer
Very Nice!!! I would like to build one. Could you expand on the hardware used. Where you able to source the materials from Home Depot / Ace Hardware?

Thanks

Thanks! The hardware is pretty standard and should be available at most hardware store (I got mine from OSH). They are 3/8" brass insert nuts and steel hanger bolts. The webbing is from a local outdoor company.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Thanks Dave, I am going to take a look the next time I am at the hardware store.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Glad I was able to find this thread. Going to build mine next week! Now what length to make it? hmmmmm.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
This has me thinking... I wonder how easy it would be modify the design so it can double as a shower deck. Then there'd be even less gear to pack, and it'd be easy to get the table clean after a night of fine dining - just shower on it in the morning... :D

DaveM

Explorer
This has me thinking... I wonder how easy it would be modify the design so it can double as a shower deck. Then there'd be even less gear to pack, and it'd be easy to get the table clean after a night of fine dining - just shower on it in the morning... :D

Very easy IMO. If you make the top slats strong enough (maybe use ash or ipe) you could either use it loose as a simple matt or just bring along 4 short bolts sized to fit the inset brass threaded holes. This will allow you to lock the top together with the cross stringer underneath forming a rigid top with no legs. OR... use thicker under stringers with longer bolts for extra hight and water flow under the top.

I have plans to add shorter legs so the table can double as a beach height table for when your sitting in the sand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz