Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dual sport for amputee

Quote Originally Posted by 1leg View Post
    This is not meant to discourage anyone. I would love to ride a bike too.
    I had a quad once and had a very mild crash, rolled over to the left side. Because I was wearing my leg LAK my stump snapped off at the ball of my hip. I made some history at that time. My Dr could not find any instance of an AK breaking their hip like I did. He told me that I might never walk again. I now have a Chevy cylinder head bolt size bolt in my Hip. He told me that he has no idea how long it will hold. Itís been 10+ years. Personally I will never perform any high speed activities while wearing my leg.
    Again this is only meant to help other amputee by sharing my experience and not meant to discourage anyone.
    Sorry to hear about that. If my accident has taught me one thing is to be a safe and cautious driver/rider. I have had 4 wheelers and even rode a scooter about two years after my wreck due to needing cheap transportation. My desire is to stay off the highway and really just explore some mild trails. I have learned to slow down and take in the views of the road. I am getting somewhat discouraged due to the angle of the knee to ride a DS. I am a real short AK and dont have a whole lot of flexion. Might just be a pipe dream anyway.
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

1986 Toyota Landcruiser "The Colonel"
    Lots of stuff
    Build Thread on Mud http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...ry-2009-a.html

2002 Toyota Tacoma DC limited TRD Crew "Hi Ho"
    Bilsteins, Terra Graplers, factory e locker

I completely understand on the desire/dream vs reality....it often sucks and that is the toughest lesson for a disabled person "to accept who they are now and the real life limitations".

I am the first to encourage someone to follow their passion...adapt, overcome & explore is the Disabled Explorers motto....but I would never tell a person to do something unsafe or unrealistic.

I have wanted a dual sport off and on for years...and each time I get myself ready to buy something (even the powered side car Ural) the reality of the fact that with my additional hip/pelvis problems I have 1 good fall left in me. Well I just move on to something else nutty

I am glad to see you thinking carefully (something I often don't do!) and if you get a bike then it will be the best choice as you will have worked out the details. And if you don't it will be because you thought our the risk/benefits and you will be ok with it.

Either way I look forward to hanging out around a campfire together someday!
    cigar smoking, wilderness first responding, ham talking night nurse who is overland certified and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.....
    now everyone say "so what where have you been lately?"

You need to make your way east some time. I think my next step now is seeing what kind of fabrication can be done to the pedals and sidecar making it as stable as possible. I am still pretty far away from pulling the trigger. Around here ( western NC) there are so many lonely back roads and our main highway is as busy as most neighborhoods. You can drive 45 minutes and see minimal cars depending on the time of year.
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

1986 Toyota Landcruiser "The Colonel"
    Lots of stuff
    Build Thread on Mud http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...ry-2009-a.html

2002 Toyota Tacoma DC limited TRD Crew "Hi Ho"
    Bilsteins, Terra Graplers, factory e locker

my first post
    my name is jeff i lost both my feet 27 years ago did the testing on the flex foot back when i was 16 still wear flexfoot to this day.
    i started racing atv motocross tried a bunch of set ups but found K.I.S.S was the best way for me all i ever did to my race quads was lift my shifter enuff to clear my boot and just added a bike brake tip to the stock brake peddle .
    i made the switch to bikes and was able to do the same with just lifting the shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by smkymntn View Post
    Might just be a pipe dream anyway.
    Bulls**t....if there is a will there is a way. Don't let the naysayers bring you down.

May want to get in contact with Chris Ridgeway.

http://www.crowdrise.com/ChrisRidgway

img_9346.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdFbR...layer_embedded

6823_1259251560942_1219234194_30758409_259624_n-4dd157a04f61c.jpg

Heck brotha...Doug Henry is paralyzed doesn't stop him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ItYINHMg7Y
    Last edited by Clutch; 03-19-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12