dual sport for amputee

smkymntn

Observer
I posted in expo cycles but think you guys might know what I am talking about

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a dual sport. Well getting close is after I pay my cars off this year. I am a Below the knee amputee left leg, so shifting would be a problem. I have seen the klicktronic shifter link here http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/

I lost my leg in a bike accident and havent been riding in about 19 years. I have a limited bend on my leg with prosthetic on, so I need a bike that has a pretty upright pedal config. I am clueless as to what size bike would be best. I am 180lbs and 5'9". Any suggestions and also do you think a system like klicktronic would be a viable solution.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
We sound very much like twins...
I am 190lbs 5'9" left BKA with pretty good flex of my knee but limited rotation due to hip injury.
I did quite a bit of riding after I lost my leg but haven't really stayed with it in years.
Beyond shifting (which is easy to solve with any air/elect push/pull soleniod....the real concern is going down...which will happen.

I love bike! But I stopped riding both moto's & mtn bikes due to the risk of worse injury with falls. I noticed even on my mtn bike I was having more twist injuries in my socket and hip pain.

That is why I have been looking at something like the Ural bikes w/ powered sidecars for adventure riding.
patrol_34_view520.jpg

http://www.imz-ural.com/patrol/

With one of these I can limit my risk of falls and carry the gear I need to...

Lastly I would say that from my experience you need a solid socket system with no failure risk..I use a locking pin silicone liner that will not come off. If you use a air lock or other more picky system maybe add a sleeve to help secure the limb.

I would also really recommend lots of training. Overland Training does moto stuff and Disabled Explorers can help with the disablity specific issues. The OT guys have known me for quite a while and you won't find better folks to help you out, no embarassement, no worries.

smkymntn

Observer
Now that looks like a good start lance. I use elevated vacuum for a socket, and your right it will go down. The last thing I need is more injuries. Have you seen the patrols up close? I am curious as to the true offroad ability.

smkymntn

Observer
Ok, just spent some time on ADVRDR in the hack section and really see the benefits of an enduro type sidecar for expo travel. I am still in the research phase and will post up progress and ideas.

1leglance

We have a Ural dealer here in Phoenix and I have lusted over 1 for a long time...the powered sidecar wheel really makes the difference to me.
I will see about getting over there and checking out 1 first hand.
I also surf Adv Rider now & then and I will have to see if there are any owners near enough for a meet & greet.

Oh crap just what I need...enough of a push to get me to own one of these :)

smkymntn

Observer
My concern for the Ural would be reliability. I really like the work that Dauntless is doing. That will more than likely be the route I would take because I could go with a dual sport sidecar and get the benefits of extra cargo capacity and getting to choose my bike. Do you think the powered wheel of the ural would be easily servicable in the field?

here is a link
http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/index.htm

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
A friend has a Ural Patrol. Its only a couple of years old but is currently working through its third gearbox. Maybe the sidecar is for carrying spare parts?

I'm no expert here but I do know that some motorcyclists have swapped the gear shifter and brake lever so they can shift with their good leg.

Good luck! :bike_rider:

Cheers,
Graham

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Here in Cape Town there's a guy who sells them and runs a rental business. If you're ever lurking here you can hire them for self-drive or chauffeur driven. The business seems to be booming and they've been around for a while so the bikes can't be too unreliable.

Last edited:

smkymntn

Observer
I am on the fence about what bike to go with, I like the KLR as I would be doing more FS Roads, but the Vstrom is a good option as well. I still have to decide on best setup, enduro style bucket or enclosed. Ural sells Sidecars too. This is going to take awhile. :coffeedrink:

1leg

Explorer
This is not meant to discourage anyone. I would love to ride a bike too.
I had a quad once and had a very mild crash, rolled over to the left side. Because I was wearing my leg LAK my stump snapped off at the ball of my hip. I made some history at that time. My Dr could not find any instance of an AK breaking their hip like I did. He told me that I might never walk again. I now have a Chevy cylinder head bolt size bolt in my Hip. He told me that he has no idea how long it will hold. It’s been 10+ years. Personally I will never perform any high speed activities while wearing my leg.
Again this is only meant to help other amputee by sharing my experience and not meant to discourage anyone.

smkymntn

Observer
This is not meant to discourage anyone. I would love to ride a bike too.
I had a quad once and had a very mild crash, rolled over to the left side. Because I was wearing my leg LAK my stump snapped off at the ball of my hip. I made some history at that time. My Dr could not find any instance of an AK breaking their hip like I did. He told me that I might never walk again. I now have a Chevy cylinder head bolt size bolt in my Hip. He told me that he has no idea how long it will hold. It’s been 10+ years. Personally I will never perform any high speed activities while wearing my leg.
Again this is only meant to help other amputee by sharing my experience and not meant to discourage anyone.

Sorry to hear about that. If my accident has taught me one thing is to be a safe and cautious driver/rider. I have had 4 wheelers and even rode a scooter about two years after my wreck due to needing cheap transportation. My desire is to stay off the highway and really just explore some mild trails. I have learned to slow down and take in the views of the road. I am getting somewhat discouraged due to the angle of the knee to ride a DS. I am a real short AK and dont have a whole lot of flexion. Might just be a pipe dream anyway.

1leglance

I completely understand on the desire/dream vs reality....it often sucks and that is the toughest lesson for a disabled person "to accept who they are now and the real life limitations".

I am the first to encourage someone to follow their passion...adapt, overcome & explore is the Disabled Explorers motto....but I would never tell a person to do something unsafe or unrealistic.

I have wanted a dual sport off and on for years...and each time I get myself ready to buy something (even the powered side car Ural) the reality of the fact that with my additional hip/pelvis problems I have 1 good fall left in me. Well I just move on to something else nutty :)

I am glad to see you thinking carefully (something I often don't do!) and if you get a bike then it will be the best choice as you will have worked out the details. And if you don't it will be because you thought our the risk/benefits and you will be ok with it.

Either way I look forward to hanging out around a campfire together someday!

smkymntn

Observer
You need to make your way east some time. I think my next step now is seeing what kind of fabrication can be done to the pedals and sidecar making it as stable as possible. I am still pretty far away from pulling the trigger. Around here ( western NC) there are so many lonely back roads and our main highway is as busy as most neighborhoods. You can drive 45 minutes and see minimal cars depending on the time of year.

redrider

my first post
my name is jeff i lost both my feet 27 years ago did the testing on the flex foot back when i was 16 still wear flexfoot to this day.
i started racing atv motocross tried a bunch of set ups but found K.I.S.S was the best way for me all i ever did to my race quads was lift my shifter enuff to clear my boot and just added a bike brake tip to the stock brake peddle .
i made the switch to bikes and was able to do the same with just lifting the shifter.
248620_2070846209065_1182156064_32460760_4785447_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles