CJ Tire Carrier on a TJ

CLynn85

Explorer
Finally got around to installing my new tire carrier today. After changing my tailgate to fold down I needed a new tire carrier. Not wanting to waste room in the back and not having the budget for a new rear bumper I opted for modifying an old CJ7 tire carrier I picked up for $40. I had to extend the center "box" section out to accomadate the backspacing of my TJ wheel. I intend to order, or more likely fab, a set of steel corner guards to help carry the load on the mounts (and cover up the rust and other holes) in the coming weeks and put some rust converter on the surface rust. I also can now utilize the ability to open the top of my storage box (although I now have to relocate the hi-lift to the cowl). I swear one of these days I'll get around to making cables to hold the tailgate horizontal.

DSC02785%20(Medium).JPG

DSC02787%20(Medium).JPG

DSC02789%20(Medium).JPG

DSC02791%20(Medium).JPG

DSC02790%20(Medium).JPG

jrsteffes

Adventurer
Nice work, It may be obvious but whats the need for the tailgate to open down instead of to the side? Just wondering?

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
jrsteffes said:
Nice work, It may be obvious but whats the need for the tailgate to open down instead of to the side? Just wondering?

When your drinking in the view, while sipping your favorite beverage; it's a nice chair. When your hungry and have a stove; it's a cooktop. When your working on your latest project; it's a workbench. When your done fishing; it's a cleaning station.

A dropdown tailgate is a multi-functional all-purpose tool.;)

Nice job, Carl.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Carl,
Very nice work!

Will you be including a limiting cable or something to make the tailgate level for multipurpose use as metioned above?

CLynn85

Explorer
Thanks guys. I think Jim summed up my desire for a fold-down tailgate pretty well. The stock swingout hinges were on the verge of failing as well. I do plan to install cables to hold the tailgate horizontal when open. I even have the cable and crimpers, just haven't had time to install them yet.

86cj

Explorer
You're tailgate has the best latch solution I have seen nice work. The tailgate it the most missed thing about my project CJ.

We used a ZR-2 blazer for many off road trips, it's still the daily "salt ride" and has the most comfy and usable tailgate around.

CLynn85

Explorer
Joaquin - Thanks. Still got some details to finish up but it's for the most part done. As for the sides I considered making some storage pockets but at the same time it's kind of been nice in the mean time having areas to stuff things where they won't slide around. For instance I can toss my backpack (now that the hardtop's on) over on the side and it won't slide around. I might end up going with a non skid paint on the inside of the box and on the lid. Thanks for the offer on the tire carrier, rust-free CJ parts are pretty hard to come by these days over here. I'm hopeful that this one will hold up with the 31" tire and some more bracing at the tub.

86 CJ - I think I've gotten the most comments about the latches. I think a push-to-close latch may have been a bit better, but given the size and thickness of the gate/lip, these work pretty well. I'm really looking forward to getting the cables on and having a usable tail gate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles