Lunch on the Trails.. What do you eat??

LS1matt

Will be taking my first trip to Moab in a month or so and was curious to what you eat out on the trail for lunch? I say lunch because i have plenty of ideas for dinner once camp is set up, I was wondering about quick ( but filling) meals... so i dont have to drag out the stove every time.

only ideas i have so far are PB & J, ham & cheese sam's...

WHAT ELSE????

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If it's a day trip, then I sometimes get an extra breakfast sandwich during breakfast and throw it in the cooler for lunch.

I sometimes break out a can of decent soup. Heat it? Naw, it's fine cold but then again, I'm a low maintenance kinda guy.

Burrito's are also good.

Last edited:

MisterTinkle

Adventurer
I tend to munch all day long on the trail: fruit, cheese and crackers, nuts, carrots, chocolate, ... If/when I eat an official 'lunch' it is usually PBJ, meat/cheese sandwich, left over dinner rolled in a tortilla, and more of the above.

czenkov

Adventurer
I usually call snacks all day lunch. Pop tarts, M&M's, Fruit, baby carrots, cashew's, but if I have to have something substantial I always go for the lunchmeat sandwich. Quick energy? Nothing beats a Snickers.

Layonnn

Adventurer
Ham and cheese in aluminum foil. Place it in the engine compartment before you for a few minutes, melt the cheese and all, and mmmmmmm tasty.

LS1matt

so i guess i wasnt too far off.... keep it simple and quick, snack all day and eat big dinner. Using engine as quick food warmer....... pure genius... i need to remember that

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Sometimes, before I head out. I make meat sandwiches at home and put them in sandwich containers. They fit very well in my cooler this way, and they don't get crushed.

It makes lunch quick and easy on the trail. You can sit down right away and enjoy your views, without getting out all the fixn's and messing around.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd100072#

7f58_sand_lg.jpg

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I pick up a Hormel party tray and separate it over several smaller bags and eat it slowly over an hour or two.

037600330671.jpg

shahram

Adventurer
For hot weather I like a no-starch, re-hydrating, cool lunch. Cold fruit (apples, citrus) and veggies (cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, jicama), sprinkled chili salt, some roasted nuts or peanut butter, maybe a cut of cheese or summer sausage for protein. Iced tea.

BiG BoB

Adventurer
Sangas are easy and quick, personal favourites are tuna/cheese/mayo or turkey spam/cheese/mayo.

In winter you cant go past some good manifold cooking, hot potatoes or pies/pasties/sausage rolls wrapped in alfoil and wedged into hot crevices on the engine:chef:

Yesterday I had T bone steak, potatoe wedges and gravy warmed on the motor, but the troopy was idling for 3 hours!!!

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz