Mobitherm Coffee Maker by Waeco?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Does anyone else have, or have you seen or used, the Mobitherm Coffee Maker by Waeco???

MOBITHERM Coffee-Maker de Luxe for 8 cups, 12 volts

Capacity: 8 cups (750 ml)
Voltage: 12 volts DC
Average power consumption: 200 watts
Colour: Pearl-white
Dimensions (WxHxD): 285 x 320 x 100 mm
Weight: 1.8 kg
Quality features: Attractive flat design, removable water tank, water level indicator, robust relay technology, LED indicator, cut-off after brewing
Scope of delivery: Insulated pot, fixing kit for wall or desk mounting
Test marks: e-approved according to 95/54/EC (EMC guidelines for vehicles), complies with the German Foodstuff and Consumer Goods Act (LMBG)

http://www.waeco.com/za/261.php

I'd like input as I'm considering purchasing one for expedition Joe on the go! :coffee::camping:

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
OK, well, I'm going for it. It's by Waeco so it better make good Joe!
$37 shipped to my door, thank you Ebay!

I'll post up results from my first brew after it arrives!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Dang dude, you really gotta lay off e-bay.... you'll have no mod money left in no time.... Let me guess the CFO (wife) was at work when you bought it?

FlyingWen

Explorer
Yep.. it's all fun and games until the misses comes home and lays the ********** down! :ar15: :ar15: :yikes:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
FlyingWen said:
Yep.. it's all fun and games until the misses comes home and lays the ********** down! :ar15: :ar15: :yikes:

Hey hey hey! SHE loves coffee too! See, I'm smart cuz I make sure I get stuff we both enjoy!
And, I always get stuff cheap! :coffee:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Well, I'm finally getting around to mounting this new toy!

100_0889.jpg

I'm considering mounting it here by my Engel. There is about 3 inches of free airspace for the Engel behind the coffe maker.

100_0922.jpg

To make coffee I would need to flip up the back seat bottom, then flip down the plate and put in the coffee jug. Then just add water and my favorite coffee.

100_0923.jpg

This unit is made for RV type installation so it's slim and saves space.
After I brew up a few pots I'll post a review of the unit...

Redback

Adventurer
Now that looks a neat unit, i'm not a fan of drip filter coffee, more a tea and cappacinno man myself, but i'd buy one of those just for the WOW factor and to impress the gang when camping:coffee:

Good stuff

Baz.

VikingVince

Explorer
Hey Dave,

Waeco has good products, I believe...I have their 50L Coolmatic fridge/freeze which has worked great thus far for the 2 years I've had it. Now this coffee maker looks like it would be convenient and my lady is a big coffee drinker so this would be easier for me than my current JetBoil method (more of a one person thing)...BUT 200 WATTS average consumption?...taking watts/volts=amps...that's 16.66 amps...holy cow, it draws over 16 amps an hour? Yikes, my Coolmatic draws 1.3 amps/hour and it only runs about 20 minutes an hour. So this coffee maker may be convenient but it's gonna be a big drain on your battery...what kind of auxillary battery do you have, i.e how many amp hours? I'll be interested to hear how you like the product as well as the power drain issues. Thanks

Redback

Adventurer
From my experiences with Waeco products i've learnt that power usage (ie) amps per hour, are pretty good, and i think this is an item that would only be on for 2 or 3 hrs max, which you wouldn't even notice.

Baz.

VikingVince

Explorer
Redback said:
From my experiences with Waeco products i've learnt that power usage (ie) amps per hour, are pretty good, and i think this is an item that would only be on for 2 or 3 hrs max, which you wouldn't even notice.

Baz.

If it was on for 2-3 hours, I think you would notice it, no???...2-3 hours would be 32-49 amp hours...many of the Optima batteries which are popular here have only 55-60 amp hours. So if you're sitting in one place for a couple days, you could easily drain your battery down to the point of your fridge shutting off. It could easily be a drain on higher amp hour batteries as well. I think this item is more intended for RV's with their large battery banks and several hundred amp hours.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Well, it's a bit early to really report much on this other than that I like it, it fits great in my kitchen setup, and makes coffee just like my home unit.

As for power usage/amp hours... I have no intention of running it more than an hour a day, ever. Just a quick brew each morning and I'm good to go, no need to run it too long. Seems like a good idea for me to run the vehicle at high idle to charge up whilst I'm making coffee, especially since I havent added my second battery yet...

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
05TACODOC said:
I got mine from seller boatcomfort on ebay :box:

I went looking for one of these coffee makers, none listed that i found. I searched through sellers also, boatcomfort has some bad feedback lately.

I do like this thin design, hopefully i'll find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles