Gerry Can mounts for tire carrier

Who has experience with Gerry can mounts for swingout spare tire carriers. I want to build a storage area/sleeping platform for the interior of my vehicle and don't really want to carry the weight of fuel cans on the roof. It looks to me like the last best place for them is the spare tire carrier. Can someone point me in the right direction to look for them? I would like for the mounting system to be easily installed and removed. I don't want to drive around looking like a poser when I don't need to carry fuel. Thanks very much.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Like the one that mounts to your wheel?

No personal experience with them myself, but i've heard 50/50 good and bad.. Either they work fine, or they jiggle around and make your spare even heavier than it should be on the swing out. I think it depends on the setup you already have. If you have a beefy swing out then its fine. I don't know if i'd use it on a factory tire mount.

The only one i know of that still exists is the ORU (Used to be the Con-ferr brand) can mount.

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=1348&idproduct=10498

Depending upon what swing out you have, then there can be other options as well.

Ranger4x4dr

Observer
Jerry can mount on swingout

Take a look at the angle brackets welded to the custom bumper & swing out for 2 cans to fit on the swingout.

Get some 1" flat strap material and bend a J-hook to fit over the handle of the can and weld on some all-thread and use a wingnut to tighten it down.

If you look close you'll see a strap welded on top of the swingout between the angle brackets with a couple of holes for the all-thread, the cans sit on the swingout left to right between the brackets.

A vevy simple design I came up with and it works. You can drill a hole in the all thread and use a small lock to keep it from growing legs and walking away.

I don't have any pics of the straps but I think that you should be able to figure it out.

Attachments

• Copy (3) of S7300504.JPG
    Copy (3) of S7300504.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Like the one that mounts to your wheel?

Depending upon what swing out you have, then there can be other options as well.

I don't like that one. It puts too much weight too far out. What I want would mount two cans right next to the spare, keeping the weight in as close and low as possible. What I'm hoping for (and I may have to fabricate it myself) would mount to the swing out tire carrier, install and remove easily, and carry two cans. My swing out is the Isuzu Rodeo factory tire carrier. It is pretty strong, but I want the weight in tight.

I have put off building the storage area/sleeping deck because of my indecision over keeping this vehicle or starting over. I can keep this one going for a long time, it is an adequate vehicle, and I already own it. It is not the vehicle I would start with if I were starting today, but since it's tax day . . .

Ranger4x4dr

Observer
Thanks David, great guess on the year. I just recently sold it to buy a '69 Bonco which is my next project after doing some mods to my Ranger.:)

The Ranger was for my youngest son but he decided he wanted my Miata instead so we traded.:cool:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah i don't care for the tire mounted one either, was just throwing it out there because i didn't know exactly what you wanted.

There's room for a can(s) on the factory Rodeo swing out? Do you have any photos? Might help us figuring something out. I'd be worried about the strength of the swing out not living up to wash board roads. Especially two cans. That's a bit of weight for a stock carrier. I almost guarantee it will rattle or need some type of beefing up.

I was just looking at it. I think one Gerry can would be very doable, two might be a stretch. There is a heavy steel plate that joins the two members of the swing out carrier that could be drilled to serve as mounting holes if I fabricated something.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
If you can put one jerry can there, you can probably mount 2, side by side. I modified my original single can holder to a dual one this past fall.

a34332d0.jpg

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I was just looking at it. I think one Gerry can would be very doable, two might be a stretch. There is a heavy steel plate that joins the two members of the swing out carrier that could be drilled to serve as mounting holes if I fabricated something.

But does it mount into sheet metal? After some off roading, stock mounts tend to rip out of the body panels.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I've been researching this for a bit actually for my Montero.

Mitsubishi actually has an option overseas for a swing out jerry can holder. Pretty sweet but it's been tough to locate and get to the US.

That said, I wonder if other brands like Toyota, Landrover, Mercedes, etc. make a similar option sold in 3rd world markets? It may be worth looking into if you have that kind of rig.

As for the old Confer carrier those only work with Blitz style cans and do not work with a Nato or Wedco can but I'm sure with enough creativity they can either be modified to work, or you can use a similar design but modified for a Nato/Wedco can.

As for making a swing out system, I've been told that generally stock sway out tire carrier systems are not going to be strong enough to handle both a spare and one or two cans so you'll either need to re-inforce them or look for an aftermarket alternative or build one from scratch.

There are companies who specialize in offering some of the parts needed to build up bumpers and may have some of the things needed but you will have to fab alot of not most of it yourself.

Alternatively, I've found with minor modifications you may be able to get an aftermarket bumper for another vehicle to fit your vehicle. In my case I was able to use a TJ rear tube bumper + a custom adapter plate. In the future I may go ahead and sell this bumper and instead buy an aftermarket TJ bumper with tire & jerry can carriers built on.:Wow1:

HTH

Thanks for your input, everyone. I think I will probably be fabricating something. I can build a bracket that would mount to the bumper and support the weight when the tire carrier is closed. The bracket could easily be built so that it would not interfere with opening the tailgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior