Introducing . . . Grendel.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
BajaTaco said:
:jump: Waaaay FUN!! Great pics too. Roseann looks kinda happy, eh? :

Absolutely! What a great vehicle. I'm so amazed at how tight the engine feels - it putters along like the Little Engine That Could.

Biggest problem for me is losing the automatic response to drive on the left! Though out here in Three Points land, half the drivers are all over the road anyway . . .

My main dilemma now: two project vehicles, including Cleo the 53 Chevy truck, and so little time for them all (or maybe three, since I've always wanted to do some more upgrades on our Taco). And then there's the fact we actually still need to build a house . . . Maybe Cleo will have to find another home, so we can focus on the 4x4s. Decisions, decisions. But it's fun in the meantime!

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Yes, Louis fell to the charms of leather upholstery, V8 power, and compliant suspension via his beautiful Disco. It certainly must have been more comfortable on that long trip to Colorado!

Finances will decree a slow process with Grendel, but it will be fun. He just needs a top, head restraints, and three-point belts to be a perfectly viable go-to-town vehicle. The engine starts instantly and idles smoother than the Land Cruiser, I swear.

One thing I'll address pretty quickly are the tires. He's wearing an old - although perfect condition - set of bias-ply Buckshot Mudders, by Gateway. These are no longer made, so I probably can't get a matching spare. More to the point, they are 33 inches tall, which is great for clearance and gaining a bit of highway speed, but seriously abusive of stock 10-spline Series III rear half shafts. It's not a question of if, but when I'll snap one with those tires, in fact I plan to pull the longer shaft out to check for twisting soon. (On the other hand, they obviously held up fine for Louis, who is no trail poseur - he has some nice shots of Grendel playing hard.) Great Basin Rovers sells a great kit with an ARB diff and 24-spline shafts, which would be nice. I'd probably go to a 235/85x16 tire the next time around, too. Slightly smaller diameter and less driveline stress.

And, of course: oil seals! Here's a photo I sent to a few people shortly after I brought Grendel home:

Oilpan.jpg

My marketing idea for the official Expedition Exchange drip pan!

Wanderlusty

Explorer
I can't make any promises, having just built (err....still building) a new house of our own, money is shy, but if you decide to part ways with Cleo...I may be interested. I have always loved the Advance Design body style of the 47-55 Chevy's.

I have a 1962 Bel Air I have been trying to sell, with buying a motorcycle in mind, but for the right truck for the right price....

But hoping you can keep the whole stable. I don't think there is such a thing as too many cars. Ok, well maybe perhaps there is...but I am a car guy and would love a whole stable of vehicles to suit many different needs. A man can dream, right?

Grendel is WAY COOL though. As is the Cruiser, and I am sure the Taco is no slouch, either....man, you folks sure are living the dream...in more ways than one.

:eek:

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
So which rig will you be driving out to the ExPo Rally? The Cruiser or the Rover? (or Cleo??)
:smiley_drive:

SLOwag

Adventurer
It's a beauty, I especially like the skin on it showing the travels it's been on over the years. Whether you're a Rover or Toyota fan you got to love the square edges on those older rigs. Have fun on the resto'

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
That's awesome Jonathan!

Let's see some photos of the new wheels, I am contemplating what to do with mine.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Unfortunately the first thing really needed on Grendel was also the most expensive: a new chassis. We are working on that and I think you'll see something announced soon, along fully galvanized lines.

Now that I have wheels I need to install some tires, most likely 235/85x16 BFG Mud Terrains. And I'll now have a spare, which can assume its proper place on the bonnet.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
What type of top do you think you will go with?

Hmmm, fully galvanized... I made the best decision selling to you!

We talk about the fun we had in it all the time and look forward to seeing the transformation.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Jonathan Hanson said:
More to the point, they are 33 inches tall, which is great for clearance and gaining a bit of highway speed, but seriously abusive of stock 10-spline Series III rear half shafts. It's not a question of if, but when I'll snap one with those tires, in fact I plan to pull the longer shaft out to check for twisting soon.

Hi Jonathan. I've been playing with Series axles for a whiile and thought I'd post this from another board:

I have done a lot of research on making a stronger replacement 10-spline axle that would drop in without changing anything else. I’ve spent a bit of money in the past few weeks testing stock Land Rover axles at a lab on the west coast and after tossing it around for a while; I’ve decided not to go through making them. Much to my surprise and amazement these stock axles are pretty darn good. Yup, you heard me say it here first! Land Rover makes a pretty darn good 10-spline axle!! Analysis of these axles really surprised me. I won’t bore you with the composition percentages but the alloy is very, very close to SAE-4140. They are thru-hardened to 380 on the Vickers scale, (equivalent to 36 Rockwell C) and have no case hardening. Not bad! I can make you axles that are perhaps 25% stronger, but at a significantly higher price that the stock ones. As you can see, it’s just not worth it. I’ll stick with making my 24 and 30-spline axles which I know are a vast improvement over stock.

The problem with stock axles is not in the alloy composition and hardening procedure, but simply the diameter. 1.1” does not a strong axle make! And most break from fatigue and not from the stresses of off-roading. Change them out every 25K and I’d bet most guys with an open diff 88 aren’t going to break many.

If you're going to stick with open diffs and 31"-32" tires, don't bother with bigger axles...Just get stock ones and change them out every few years. If you're going to lock the rear you'll want to move up to 24-spline axles. I can give you some advice on those too. :)

jim

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Jonathan Hanson said:
Unfortunately the first thing really needed on Grendel was also the most expensive: a new chassis. We are working on that and I think you'll see something announced soon, along fully galvanized lines.

If you are not fixing up the body why not just repair the frame, maybe make the back half out of box?

Wanderlusty

Explorer
BigAl said:
If you are not fixing up the body why not just repair the frame, maybe make the back half out of box?

I'd bet it is because the Hansons look at vehicle ownership by the decade, so 'fixing it right' the first time is the only choice. Ain't much wrong with the body....it's character!

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
BigAl said:

Was my first thought also, but it is pretty rotted in several places and there really isn't much else to the little guy once the frame has been replaced... more of an investment.

Do it right the first time and forget about it.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Yep: Right now this chassis is serving as a mouse condo. They have numerous entrances front to rear. If you climb in and rock back and forth there's a general exodus.

Jim, I plan on talking to you about axles sometime.

I plan to stick with a canvas top. Just seems to suit it. Unfortunately hoop sets cost more than tops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier