Introducing . . . Grendel.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
For those that are interested (who isn't?), after a little prodding Jonathan promised me there will be some activity in regards to Grendel in the next few months.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm sure he's been busy doing the things we just dream about-and getting paid for it!

I dunno 'bout that.

He stopped by one night last week -- with a load of drywall on his utility trailer. He needed to pick up some coffee brewing stuff that I had borrowed.

For some reason I don't think "a load of drywall and coffee" are the things that the dreams of an Executive Editor are made of.

:sombrero:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I dunno 'bout that.

He stopped by one night last week -- with a load of drywall on his utility trailer. He needed to pick up some coffee brewing stuff that I had borrowed.

For some reason I don't think "a load of drywall and coffee" are the things that the dreams of an Executive Editor are made of.

:sombrero:

You speak the truth Brian, many think that the behind the scenes lives of those in the Overland World are all cash & glamor..
But in reality I have seen all these folks work twice as hard for half the pay they could make doing something else. They do it for the sake of it more than anything.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Come on guys...you're killing my dream!:elkgrin:

:xxrotflma

Sorry to be a dream killer. :costumed-smiley-007

Actually, being friends with a lot of these folks has opened my eyes to the nature of small business ownership / sole proprietorship, etc. Even though I have never worked for myself, I always thought it was something that everyone (including myself) should do at some point in their life.

I no longer believe that.

Not everyone is cut out for it (I'm still unsure if I am or not). It's a tough gig that requires a lot of dedication and an extremely level head. There is a lot of BS to put up with, and a lot of uncertainty . . .

Last edited:

Wander

Expedition Leader
No doubt-I'm part of a small business and see it all first hand. Still like it better than a big corporation enviroment but that does have it's advantages.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
167000_10150167448384418_826954417_8652075_4282144_n.jpg

The dream is alive and well, don't let anyone dissuade you. Working for yourself gives you the freedom to do whatever you want. What you choose to do is entirely up to you. Some people choose hauling sheetrock, I choose cat skiing.

Maybe some have noticed I haven't posted in a while. Maybe not. In either case I've been away from the board for a time while I work really hard at my sole proprietorship. I've hardly had time to sleep, and while I post this little bit, I'm nervous about a hard deadline. I have a bunch of stuff in the garage that I can't find the time to install on my rover. I'm not complaining, that is the nature of being in business for yourself. I have a friend who is a Brooks Institute educated commercial photographer. An art director at an agency once told him that if he'd just cut his rates in half, he could work twice as much. Check the math on that one.:sombrero:

sinuhexavier

Explorer
I have a friend who is a Brooks Institute educated commercial photographer. An art director at an agency once told him that if he'd just cut his rates in half, he could work twice as much. Check the math on that one.:sombrero:

Seems wiser to double your rates and work half as much. No?

Wander

Expedition Leader
I think the phrase six of one half dozen of the other applies very well.

I'm a fan of your work Sinuhexavier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles