Introducing . . . Grendel.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Well, reintroducing, actually. some of you might have met Louis's Series III 88-inch Land Rover in the past, and a few of you were aware that I bought it from him while Roseann was in Africa, but we kept it a secret until the first morning she was home. After showing off the remodeling I'd done on the cottage and bathroom, I said, "Um, I have one more surprise. I need to go get it." She was obviously intrigued as I disappeared down the road to our well and fired up the Land Rover. She was waiting, open-mouthed, as I came around the corner to the house, then simply walked up and said, "Move over!" Of course, having just spent two months driving right-hand-drive Land Cruisers in Tanzania and Kenya, this right-hand-drive Rover was no problem for her. And, being who she is, the fact that I'd raided our money market account to buy it while she was gone was no problem. I'm a lucky man.

So, here's the new member of the family:

RoseannGrendel.jpg

When I bought my FJ40, 25 years ago, the Land Cruiser and Land Rover were the two final choices. I bought the Toyota on the strength of Toyota's reputation (and my experience with my first car, a Corolla), and I've never been sorry. But I always wanted a Land Rover too. Thanks to Louis's military transfer out of Tucson, I got the chance.

Now comes the fun part - repair, partial restoration, and modification, on a leisurely freelance budget.

The first issue was a horrid driveline vibration I noticed immediately. It felt like a U-joint, and sure enough, simply lifting the center seat bottom while underway revealed a driveshaft oscillating wildly. But we made it the 50 miles home, and the next day I pulled the rear driveshaft, to find this:

Driveshaft.jpg

Yikes. Worse than bad, the buggered U-joint had actually worn into the front yoke, necessitating replacement of that part. Here's the joint (no needle bearings left in it!):

U-joint.jpg

With this repaired, Grendel starts and runs very well. The 2.25 Rover four-cylinder motor is incredibly smooth and quiet at idle.

There are more issues, as one would expect for the price! Chiefly the normal Land Rover frame rot in the rear. Notice the rusted-through section in front of the spring hanger:

Roverframe.jpg

So a replacement frame, possibly a new galvanized unit if finances allow, is in order eventually, although I've seen mobile Series vehicles with worse rot than this. I'm not sure how long this vehicle stayed in England before immigrating to the U.S., but it's likely that's where most of the damage accrued.

Upholstery could use a little TLC too:

Upholstery.jpg

Fortunately Series seats are so rudimentary that new replacements are cheap.

So - goals? I don't plan to do any cosmetic work on the body, which has nary a straight panel and loads of character. I want to fix the frame and various leaks I was shocked, shocked to find staining the spot where the FJ40 never leaked a drop! Then a roll cage, head restraints, and three-point belts, because I won't compromise on safety. I want to find a used canvas top and door tops. After that, who knows? Stay tuned.

Oh, and, regarding the name: In the original text of Beowulf, Grendel was described as being a "member of the cursed race of Cain." Since I've owned a Land Cruiser for so long, and now added a Land Rover, the name just seemed right.

Plus, it could prove to be a monster to work on . . .

LCLR5.jpg

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
That's Uber Cool! :clapsmile

Hope all goes well with your project and at least Luis Knows his Rover is in good hands!

This one will be a fun one to follow! :coffee:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Finally I can breathe!!!
Glad the cat's out of the bag so to speak.
Can't wait to see the transformation...or will it be a transmutation?
:D
Ed

+ d

Adventurer
Fantastic! Congratulations, what a great addition to the family. Looking forward to watching the progress.

:coffee:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
So you dub it Grendel and then find it bleeding out in your driveway? Talk about a self fulfilling prophecy.... And wasn't Cain a nomad, a wanderer?

Jonthan, I can't believe you picked up a Series III and named it Grendel!
You two are from some other world of enlightenment and cool. :bowdown:

I can't believe I'm fortunate enough to know people like this....

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I love the photo.
Looks like the Cruiser is telling this upstart newcomer just WHO the boss is...
:jump:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Yeah, the Land Cruiser is thinking, "Every time I go near that thing it pees on the floor."

One priority is to get a proper spare on the bonnet!

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
She's not scared, just a bladder problem, I think it's in her genes.

As far as being shown "who's the boss" the cruiser just looks so curious about its new overseas friend.

She was a blast to cruise around in, from the Sonoita Vineyards to Chimney Rock and beyond.

Enjoy the strange way she looks at you... the cruiser will never look at you this way.

:costumed-smiley-007

Attachments

• DSC02874.JPG
    DSC02874.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 52

ShearPin

Adventurer
Series Rovers

Hey, congratulations - you'll never curse and love a vehicle more..... for an escape machine nothing beats the leisurely pace of a Series Land Rover to withdraw you from the rat race. Get behind the wheel and it's like throwing out a sea anchor....

I look forward to reading repair and trip reports - I've been relocated from the desert southwest and it has been a year or two since I've had desert sand under the tires. Work and family obligations have only provided the opportunity for one trip all summer - I am in need of a little vicarious armchair Series Land Rover travel.

Henry

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations Roseanne!
Have lots of fun with your new toy!!:wings:

Jonathan could hardly contain himself when he got her.

I look forward to the stories!:arabia:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
:jump: Waaaay FUN!! Great pics too. Roseann looks kinda happy, eh? :D

Pretty cool that this special vehicle has passed through the hands of ExPo members and will remain "in the family" :cool:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Happy and sad. Sad that Louis will not get to finish his restoration plans of this great machine. Happy because Jonathan and Roseann do get her and I know they will only do good by her. Congrats on a great and fun purchase, and like Chris said, thanks for keeping it inthe ExPo family guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles