Need FJ60 advice.

Clark White

Explorer
So I have been contemplating a 60 series, but originally was thinking of it more in the terms of a year from now, get a beat up old clunker that I can throw a diesel in. Fast forward to last night, I'm driving my good old reliable Toyota Tacoma down the road at about 30mph on the front axle (I know, not a great idea, but I was rebuilding the rear drive shaft and just needed to drive through town), when the front dif seizes and I come to a screeching halt. Long story short, I need a new front dif. In such an event, this greatly accelerates my desire for an FJ60 with its added passenger space for friends and dogs on camping trips.

There is an 87' FJ60 ( http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/1082806920.html ) not TOO far away for $4000 that has definitely caught my attention. It looks like a decent deal if it really is as clean as the pictures and listing claims. Just how underpowered are the 60's? I'm taking a cross country trip end of this year that will involve Interstate, 4x4, and snow, and I'm a little concerned about a stock 60's performance and gas mileage for such a trip. I read up on Ih8mud about the 60's, and it looks like the norm for mileage is 13mpg, but I didn't see a whole lot about how comfortable they are on the HW. I don't need to be in a hurry, I just don't have any reference to go by when I hear that they are underpowered. My Taco has never been a power house, and will usually slow to maybe 60 going up a good hill on the HW, is the 60 worse then that? The reason I'm interested in a 60 is for the added space for road trips since I have a dog, and usually a friend, and it gets awfully cramped in an Extra cab.

Thanks for the advice!
Clark White

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
hi Clark. I have driven a BJ60 to mexico and back with no comfort issues. I was around 30 at the time so maybe a bit heartier... They are a fine (65mph?) highway rig. Obviously not as refined as an 80 though. The 2F is a solid motor. I don't know what engine you have in your taco. If it is the 4cyl you probably won't notice a huge difference. If you have the V6 as I had in my taco, I think you will be a bit surprised on the hills. Not to say the 2F is a dog, just more of a torque motor. Think of it as a fast tractor... I am looking for a similar rig myself and have just decided to not be in a hurry. Lots of people cross the country in these things all the time. If you can get your head around the slightly lower speeds, I am sure you will LOVE a 60. As far as the one you are looking at goes, I think it is maybe a bit expensive. Check it out for rust. Lift the carpet where the rear seat meets the wheel wells, at the back where the tail gate frame meets carpet and basically everywhere behind the rear seats. The frame from the front of the rear leaf spring mounts to the rear of the frame is also a bad spot. I have been looking at fantastic rust-free trucks on the west coast for around $3000-$4000. Good luck with your search. I think you will love a 60. They are a fantastic off roader as well.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The biggest limitation I ever had with my FJ60 was its gearing on the freeway. I really didn't like running it over 65mph for long periods of time, not because it couldn't but just that the engine was spinning like crazy. When I swapped up to 33's it helped out actually with that slightly but still the stock 4 speed isn't build for tearing down the freeway. That said though, I never felt like I had a lack of power that I couldnt' deal with. My 2f was mostly stock other then running a Webber carb that was finicky but gave it some pretty decent power. My mileage if I kept it under 60 would be around 15 at sea level and asumming not alot of head wind. Upgrading to the 5speed would solve alot of the issues in that regard though.

lovetoski

Observer
I have a 60.

Milage is very dependant on speed and what (if any) extra crap you add/do to the truck. Lifts, bigger tires, roof racks, all take a hit on the fuel milage.

At 55, stock, my 60 got 17 on the freeway.

At 70, lifted, with mud tires and a rack, I get 12-13 on the freeway.

Power...as stated, it's a tractor first. On rolling freeways, I have no power issues. I don't expect to go fast, and my truck meets my expectations.

On long climbs in the mountains, especially with a full load of people/and or gear, you do need to stay focused on the journey, because the destination isn't getting closer very fast...

Some climbs in the canadian rockies were 3rd gear and 40mph for a long time...I've never been over 6000 feet though, so it could get worse in Colorado...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
...I've never been over 6000 feet though, so it could get worse in Colorado...[/QUOTE]

Ohh... it does... especially in a BJ60. Going through Telluride area I couldn't see the road behind me from all the black smoke from overfueling! Nothing a turbo wouldn't fix!

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I don't know if it matters to you but I don't believe that is an original FJ60 color on that truck you posted.

I can only echo what other people have said about the hills. I had 32"x11.5 BFG ATs on my 60 and driving in the high desert in SoCal I would sometimes have to drop to 3rd gear ~35-40 mph to make some of the long grades. I think upgrading to 4.11s in the diffs will help, but will also hurt your overall freeway cruising rpms on the flats. This is where adding the 5 spd comes in handy (~$1800).

That being said, I'm thinking about getting another 60 at some point, as long as the boss doesn't veto :violent-smiley-031:

Clark White

Explorer
I sort of figured it would be ok so long as you weren't in a hurry. What of this turbo and 5spd transmission? How does the turbo affect fuel consumption and what transmission is it?

Thanks!
Clark

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The turbo I was talking about is only for the diesels that we were lucky enough to get up here in the land of the arctic peso. ( we also got all the rust we could ever want...). I am sure you could turbo/supercharge a 2F but if you were to go to al;l that trouble, just V8 it and be done with it. Probably simpler and cheaper. People are putting H55 five speed trannies in their FJ60s.
I believe this is the same 5spd that came stock in the canadian spec 60s after 83??? I never had a problem with the trans in any of the 3 60s I owned so I never even learned the model number for them. If you go to ih8mud forums there is more info than you could ever need for 60s. Lots of crazy swaps as well as stock restorations. Whatever you can think of, someone on mud will probably have done it and spent the time to put it all on "paper" complete with pics...

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Clark, I drove a 60 for years. There are two things that make a 60 very comfprtable to drive... OME Suspension and an H55F transmission. I set mine up with these goodies (and a few more) and drove it ll over the West. The tires were 31X10.50 and I could cruise at 70 while staying just below 2500 RPM. The OME provides comfortable ride, not a mercedes, but quite acceptable. I would seriously avoid a turbo charger ion a 60 - they would be hard to find, and would stress the engine with a lot of heat.

In my 60 (with 5 speed and 31X10.50 MTRs) I could cruise at 65-70 and got 16-17 MPG on the freeway. They are actually slightly larger inside than an 80.

The key to mileage and power is do not hang a lot of heavy accessory stuff on it, and keep the engine in good tune - very simple to do with this extremely reliable engine.

cruiser guy

Explorer
Fixed it for ya!

I would seriously avoid a turbo charger on a gasser 60 - they would be hard to find, and would stress the engine with a lot of heat.

If you have a diesel '60 like a BJ60 or HJ60 a turbo is a VERY nice addition. I've had a turbo on my BJ60 for 5-6 years and have driven it all over North America from Honduras north to Canada and coast to coast in the US.

I run a 2 1/2" lift and various tire sizes though I think I'm settling in on 32"x11 1/2"x15" BFG AT's. 4:11 axles and an H55 5 speed.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Clark, I can elaborate a bit, while condensing some of what you've read here to a pretty solid generalization for 2F FJ60s.

Highway mileage in a stock FJ60 is dependent on steady-state engine speed, specifically the throttle position at which the secondary carb barrel starts to open. If you keep your speed below that point, you can expect pretty good mileage with a well-tuned 2F. With the stock four-speed, the threshold seems to be somewhere just north of 60 mph on a flat road. We got 16 mpg and a bit with our tired 2F before the diesel conversion, by staying under 65. Install a five-speed and you can push the speed up a little and retain those figures, although aerodynamic drag will erase it if you push too far. Get that second barrel open and mileage will plummet. That's usually the problem with those who complain of 13 mpg on the highway in an FJ60 - in addition to big lifts, roof racks, etc., which can result in second-barrel operation even at modest speeds.

Going to a larger-diameter tire works - sometimes. You're adding weight and inertia, and losing pulling power on hills. Better, I think, to stay with a modest tire diameter (31 inch or so) of narrow tread width, and work on the gearing. In any case, with a 2F you will be downshifting on grades you didn't need to with a V6 Tacoma. Relax and enjoy the scenery!

I second Mike on both the OME and five-speed.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Fixed it for ya!

If you have a diesel '60 like a BJ60 or HJ60 a turbo is a VERY nice addition. I've had a turbo on my BJ60 for 5-6 years and have driven it all over North America from Honduras north to Canada and coast to coast in the US.

I run a 2 1/2" lift and various tire sizes though I think I'm settling in on 32"x11 1/2"x15" BFG AT's. 4:11 axles and an H55 5 speed.

Diesels are a whole different ball game. I agree that a turbo in a diesel is a good thing.

BiG BoB

Adventurer
HJ60's with their 2H motor aren't exactly known for their reliability once turbo'd

The 12HT (correct me if I've got that designation wrong) verion that was also sold in the 60 was not just a 2H with a snail on the side, it had different internals, as shown in comparison photos in a magazine a while back - i forget which.

If you're not happy with your 2H, and its running correctly, swap it out (and give me your 2H as a spare:D)

Sean

cruiser guy

Explorer
HJ60's with their 2H motor aren't exactly known for their reliability once turbo'd

Sean

I can't speak to the reliability of a turbo'd 2H. I can say that my turbo'd 3B has not suffered because of the turbo but the driving please has certainly increased.

I've been told that the 2H lacks some of the things that the 3B has that make the 3B such an ideal turboing candidate. Things like piston skirt oil cooling.

The factory turbo version of both the 3B and the 2H, the 13B-T and 12H-T are different internally from their naturally aspirated cousins.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
This now seems to be a thread about diesel reliability/turbo suitability... But, yes, the 3B is a MUCH stronger engine than the 2H. The 3B was designed to be used in an industrial application for machinery etc and the 2H was designed to be put into trucks.

I think we can all agree that if Clark is not in a hurry, then a 60 is king! And yes, a turbocharged BJ60 is king of kings!!:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles