Simple Inverter and Battery setup

FettsWay

Adventurer
I need a simple power source in the camper shell of my truck for recharging the laptop, cellphones, camera batteries, running a light, blender, toaster, air pump, charging drills, maybe a minifridge.

And I would like to setup a dual battery setup under the hood, but don't have the knowledge nor skill level yet to accomplish that.

So here is what I would thinking:

Buy this: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

And connect this to it:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h/search-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

I don't really understand the relationship between Watts, volts and Amps. I know that appliances have a wattages listed, but how does amps and voltage play into.

I like the Cabelas rechargable battery idea so I can charge it up at the house before camping. I don't camp but maybe a night or two in standard camp areas, not expedition style.

Any advice or clarification would be welcomed.

M.Bas

Adventurer
The most basic dual battery setup would be:
Starter battery -> something to isolate the starter and 2nd battery -> 2nd battery.

When disconnected you have 2 separate batteries 1 starter battery and 1 that powers your stuff in the back.

That way when the 2nd battery is empty you can still start your car. Might be handy when in the middle of nowhere :D

When you drive and the starter battery is being charged, the 2 battery's are connected and the 2nd battery is also being charged.

As isolator a relais would do, as long as it is capable of passing through a lot of amps, but you need to manually connect the batteries. But there are also "intelligent" isolaters wich measure the voltages and decide when it is necessairy to connect the 2. But those are more expensive.

The inverter is connected to the 2nd battery.

The things you mentioned are, in my opinion way underpowered.

762X39

Explorer
You have the right idea but the battery you have in mind is a bit small (it will work for some light loads). For about the same money you can buy an inverter/battery/booster package on sale. Although I run a 1 kilowatt inverter in my work truck (about 150 amp draw from the battery at full power so I normally run the engine when using it) I often just use my Powerbox 800 that has a 600 watt inverter and a 28 amp battery in one nice package.http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...acks/PRD~0111823P/Eliminator+PowerBox+800.jsp
I purchased mine for $51 as newly refurbished and run a grinder with it at jobsites w/o ac power as well as my laptop when I am too far from my truck to run an extension.

lovetoski

Observer
I don't really understand the relationship between Watts, volts and Amps. I know that appliances have a wattages listed, but how does amps and voltage play into.

The relationship is described by this forumla:
Watts = Volts * Amps

So, for a 12V item, drawing 10 amps, you'll need 120 Watts of power.

Hope this helps.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I run a 12V fan, 2 internal 12v general purpose lights and 2 outside 12v halogens (when needed, either for backup lights or rear floods w/ flip of a switch), I power an 800Watt DC-AC inverter also.

I have a 12v trolling motor battery in a Minn Kota battery box; this is all in the back of my truck W/a unicover construction type topper and a twin size mattress. Works good,

You need to go to a deep cycle trolling motor type of battery for good current output and lasting use. Good luck.

Pete Wilson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles