Behold, The Ghetto RTT

SwiCago

Observer
I shared this with FJcruiser(dot)com and I thought I'd share it here too.

"The Ghetto RTT"
a DIY by SwiCago (don't blame me if you get hurt)

I decided to do this project, because I could not justify spending $850(Cheapy RTT) - $1600(Top of line RTT) for only 3-4 times of use per year...even though my wife approved of me buying one LOL...plus I'll be damned if a scorpion is going to sting my MMMMM on the Kokopelli
I bought the African outback rack because I saw how versatile it was...what I did not know was that it has track on the bottom side. Because of this, I was able to do the slide out mechanism.
The rack also has track channel on the top to do all sort of configurations and easy DIY products.
All parts to build Ghetto RTT cost ~$100.- + $39 tent = $139 RTT
The rack however is $1100, but is super versatile and 100% Aluminum.

The finished product setup. Setup takes about 8 minutes
web_GhettoRTT_19.jpg

web_GhettoRTT_18.jpg

The Setup
1) An FJ
web_GhettoRTT_09.jpg

2) Hidden Slide Outs
web_GhettoRTT_10.jpg

3) Slide Outs out
web_GhettoRTT_11.jpg

3.1) Close up of slide out
web_GhettoRTT_12.jpg

4) A piece of plywood is shifted from the rack onto the slide outs
web_GhettoRTT_13.jpg

5) Furring Strips are used as shims to level plywood with rack
web_GhettoRTT_14.jpg

6) 8x Carriage Bolts and wing nuts are used to secure, 4x EyeBolts used to secure tent on each corner
web_GhettoRTT_15.jpg

7) Cheap $39 7ft x 7ft tent
web_GhettoRTT_16.jpg

SwiCago

Observer
8) Throw tent onto platform and enjoy
web_GhettoRTT_17.jpg

The Build
1) 1" x 4' Square tubing for SlideOut (predrilled from hardware store
web_GhettoRTT_01.jpg

2) Drilled one side to allow socket for bolts
web_GhettoRTT_02.jpg

3) Test fit on bottom side of African Outback rack (notice cross member has a channel)
web_GhettoRTT_03.jpg

4) Layout finished square tubing on 4 cross member channels
web_GhettoRTT_04.jpg

4.1) With hardware (look close and you'll see square nuts in channel
web_GhettoRTT_05.jpg

5) Put Blue LockTite on threads of bolts and screw in just enough to allow slide out to still slide.
web_GhettoRTT_06.jpg

6) A dab of silicon on each bolt head as extra guarantee that they can't rotate out
web_GhettoRTT_08.jpg

7) SlideOuts installed...now go install rack
web_GhettoRTT_07.jpg

tommudd

Explorer
Looks like it will work , plus you have a "little" shade under the right side now. Thinking out of the box for sure!:wings:

Tom

xx.xii

Observer
nice fj dude, i was thinking bout painting my rig olive drab or desert tan. i like the ease of being able to paint over any scratches if any,mainly to keep rust away and not so much on looks

Michael Slade

Untitled
Dude that rocks! You rock! That rack/platform rocks!

I love the fact that you didn't do what everyone else is doing and found your own solution. Ghetto rules!

madiaz

that is quite an exemplary utilization of ghetto engineering.
i am so going to be doing that too ! :) thank you for sharing. i like the picture of the little kid with the big ole happy face next to the snorkel but the color on that FJ is utterly sick
regards, m.a.d.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Very, very creative. Love to see stuff done that is out of the norm. Bravo! And two big thumbs up on the Olive Drab Line X. It looks bada....well, you know.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Creative Solution

How do you secure the tent to the platform for use in stormy or windy conditions? Straps or cords from the stake-down points to the platform?

SwiCago

Observer
How do you secure the tent to the platform for use in stormy or windy conditions? Straps or cords from the stake-down points to the platform?

I have eye bolts on each corner and I was thinking of using carabiners or straps to attach the stake-down points to the eye bolts. Mentioned in step number 6 ;)

Again, thanks everyone for the positive reactions...this little DIY really went better then I expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz