Idea for home made awning.

EricGagne

Adventurer
I've been thinking about this since last night, I think it would work but I'm open to comments and ideas.

Parts
1 6x10 Tarp
2 Pieces 6' long, 1.5" wide, 1/8" thick.
3 Quick Fist
2 World Famous Awning poles
2 Stakes
2 Home made guy ropes
2 Velcro straps about 10" long
A few Bolts and nuts.

For the tarp I'm thinking of a rubberized nylon tarp like the image below. The 2 long pieces could be either steel, aluminum or HDPE (although I think it would have to be thicker).

I would bolt the 2 pieces, tarp and quick fists together (tarp between the long pieces obviously) using the holes on both ends and 1 near the middle.

I would use the remaining holes to add the velcros which will be used to attach the tarp when I roll it.

Using the quick fist I can easily install/remove the awning from my roof rack whenever I want. When I want shadow I will only need to unroll it and install the poles and guy ropes.

Tarp
http://prefair.ca/products/?id=279&s=760&locale=en

Awning Poles
417b.jpg

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I'm currently working on one myself..although I'm still a few days from completion. I like the simplicity of your's though, lightweight...and quick deployment (which is the key)It's on the last page of my trailer build...in my sig if your interested Please post updates as the conception becomes reality!

EricGagne

Adventurer
I'm currently working on one myself..although I'm still a few days from completion. I like the simplicity of your's though, lightweight...and quick deployment (which is the key)It's on the last page of my trailer build...in my sig if your interested Please post updates as the conception becomes reality!

Quick deployment but probably not so easy to roll back up. I'm still trying to come up with a simple solution for that. I don't want to build something complicated with pipes and rods and everything. There are some great ideas here on the forum but I'm not very good at manual work and I don't have much work space.

I also want something that I can easily take off my truck completely and put in my M101CAD trailer when driving long distances on gravel roads to protect the tarp and also storing in winter.

I was thinking this morning I could use a 6' piece of 1/2" or 3/4" plastic pipe and fix it at the outer end of the tarp with a few ezgrabbit clamps. It's still gonna be a little hard to roll but that should make it a lot easier.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Recycled projector screen awning

sidewys, that is an incredibly clever mod. How has it held up after a year's use? I love the idea.

sidewys xj

Observer
Life

It has held up very well! I personaly thought I would have had to replace the screen material by now but I think I will get another summer out of it with out any trouble

I am very happy with it
Thank you

Luke:camping:

sidewys xj

Observer
Yep

Not trying to Take over his thread but I will get some close ups this weekend of the pole holes and the way I hook it to my rack.

Snagger

Explorer
Sideways, I think that's a great awning, especially for the price. I was thinking of doing something similar, but with telescopic poles secured horizontally under the rooof rack, a bit like the "Ghetto RTT", so that there would be no uprights in the corners to knock over or get in the way of tables and chairs, and to prevent the need for guy ropes. The other posibility is to copy the pivoting arms on the Hannibal awnings.

EricGagne

Adventurer
I got my tarp today. It's not at all what I expected but I'm very happy, more than if it had been what I thought it was.

I thought that "Rubberized nylon" was a nylon tarp impregnated with rubber so I expected it to be heavy and rigid but it's actually a nylon tarp with a layer of rubber underneath. It only weighs 7 pounds for a 6x10 and it's quite soft actually so it's not gonna break easily.

I should be able to put the awning together this week-end, I'll post more pictures as work progresses

Attachments

• Toile 001.JPG
    Toile 001.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 239

Google it Research

Master of Disaster
I got my tarp today. It's not at all what I expected but I'm very happy, more than if it had been what I thought it was.

I thought that "Rubberized nylon" was a nylon tarp impregnated with rubber so I expected it to be heavy and rigid but it's actually a nylon tarp with a layer of rubber underneath. It only weighs 7 pounds for a 6x10 and it's quite soft actually so it's not gonna break easily.

I should be able to put the awning together this week-end, I'll post more pictures as work progresses

Still waiting...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne