Caravan PHX to Expedition Portal Rally

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
SWR, yes that is up near Crown King, which is not on the way to the camp area. HERE is a pic of that same spot taken in August.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

BT.....

I've looked over that Blazer pic......and I just could not figure out what that guy was doing to end up like he did!

Now that I have seen your shot from another angle...........to me.....it looks obvious the Blazer was fooling around and testing his luck.

:archaeolo HUM!.....in 20 million years....do you think somebody will dig that thing up and say......"OH MY....what Primitive Modes of Exploration Vehicles"! ..............hehe

we don't want no stinking "PMEV"

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I feel like a pansy, but the last time I did the road from Lake Pleasant to Crown King was during the Balance Bar 24 hr. Adventure race....Mountain Biked the damn thing up and back....I have decided that I don't like that road....that road opened up the pain locker in a big way.....

-H-

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Hltoppr said:
....Mountain Biked the damn thing up and back....

:Wow1: now that's insane. Are you still adventure racing?

SWR, my guess is that the bank where the trail is now established was much more off-camber than is apparent in the pic, and as he was trying to avoid the ledge, he probably slid and flopped.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

OH......I gotcha..... BT.

So help me if I'm wrong. (still learning)

If the trail was so narrow....and potentially soft being next to a creek that had obviously risen and softened the dirt.....

Would it not had been better for the Blazer to try and just GO Straight UP the steeper ledge that he fell off of?

That's what I would choose to do.....even if I had to get out and "fix" the trail a bit.

A little sweat wipes off......a little ROLL.....ruins your day.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It is difficult to say what would have been better since we don't even know what he did. But leaving the trail to avoid a obstical you don't like is just bad policy. It happens, but without seeing the situation first hand, I don't think we could safely assume that this was a situation where leaving the trail would be warranted. I'm sure the driver was not expecting to go rubber side up in the creek.....

S

Scenic WonderRunner

goodtimes said:
It is difficult to say what would have been better since we don't even know what he did. But leaving the trail to avoid a obstical you don't like is just bad policy. It happens, but without seeing the situation first hand, I don't think we could safely assume that this was a situation where leaving the trail would be warranted. I'm sure the driver was not expecting to go rubber side up in the creek.....

I agree with you about not leaving the trail.....and I don't.

In the pic though........it looks like he landed in the creek where the trail originally was...........when you follow the full line of the trail on the right hand side of the pic.

So is it bad to repair a trail......that nature has changed?

I know these questions are probably better for another TOPIC.......

But since it started here....thought I would ask.

Discussion moved here:

How Not to 4x4 Explore

Last edited by a moderator:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
flyingwil said:
HEY Aaron-- IF you could PM me your cell phone # I can keep in touch with you as we are approaching the Deer Valley area.

Wil, I sent you a PM this morning with my # on it. Give me a call when you are near and perhaps we can hook up prior to Anthem, or we can just hook up there. I will be working until around noon, then I have to hustle home change, finish loading up, and then get my son from school. I hope to have all this done by about 1:30 and can be at Anthem by around 2:00. Give me a call.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
BajaT,

I haven't raced in about a year or so...had to put more time into my business and Search & Rescue (o' yeah....and the wife, too...). When you're doing a race a month, it gets really expensive, even with sponsors for equipment, plus, the training time is pretty high, about 3 hrs/day weekdays and at least one 6-12 hr. training on the weekends....

And then there are the technical skills....phew...

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone this next weekend!

-H-

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Hltoppr said:
BajaT,

I haven't raced in about a year or so...had to put more time into my business and Search & Rescue (o' yeah....and the wife, too...). When you're doing a race a month, it gets really expensive, even with sponsors for equipment, plus, the training time is pretty high, about 3 hrs/day weekdays and at least one 6-12 hr. training on the weekends....

And then there are the technical skills....phew...

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone this next weekend!

-H-

Sweet! I can't wait to talk to you. I only did it once with Scott and Uwe and we had a great time. I'd definitely like to do another one sometime and it would be fun to chat about racing with you. Sounds like you are very experienced.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
coming from Tucson too ...

Jasonazx said:
Thanks for the reply Will. The meeting spot of I-10 and US60 sounds good. Is there anyone else traveling up from Tucson?

I'll be coming up from Tucson Friday, wanna try to meet up here and caravan?

Jeff

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
jeffryscott said:
I'll be coming up from Tucson Friday, wanna try to meet up here and caravan?

Jeff

Jeff-
I will gladly meet you and Jason HERE if you two end up caravaning up from Tuscon... IF not we can all just meet there

Let me know.

Wil

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Fry's ...

flyingwil said:
Jeff-
I will gladly meet you and Jason HERE if you two end up caravaning up from Tuscon... IF not we can all just meet there

Let me know.

Wil

12:15 at Fry's, sounds good. That shouldn't be a problem. Can't wait for next weekend.

Jeff

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I have edited the First Post in this thread to reflect who's meet who and where.

Let me know if there is anyone missing! If not see you at camp! :camping:

Thanks,
Wil

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Too COOL. Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Xterra, Suzuki Grand Vitara, & Isuzu Trooper. I love it!

:victory:

This forum is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles