Caravan PHX to Expedition Portal Rally

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Anone interested in a caravan out of Phoenix to the First Annual Expedition Portal Rally?

See this Post

I am planing on leaving Phoeinx after lunch, (work until 2:00 am friday morning and want a good night's sleep before heading out.)

I am flexable and plan on leaving Mesa on the US 60 on over to the I10 then north bound on I-17 until Table Mesa Rd. I was thinking we could make some meeting spots along the way pending on where people are coming from. I had the mobil gas station near the outlet mall in mind, but it depends on where we all coming from.

To all those coming from East Phoenix and Tuscon:

We will meet at 12:15 and depart at 12:30 for the next meeting spot in Anthem. I am going to meet Jason in the Fry's Electronics Parking Lot. Fry's Electronics is located at 2300 West Baseline Road in Tempe, AZ. We will meet in their parking lot on the South East corner (closest to Denny's and I-10). Tune in to CB Channel 7. See the map Below:

frys.bmp

Members Meeting In Tempe:
  1. Wil (flyingwil) - White Toyota Tacoma DC
  2. Jason (Jasonazx) - White Nissan Xterra
  3. Jeff (jeffryscott) - Suzuki Grand Vitara

To all those coming from North Phoenix:
We will leave there and head to Anthem and meet the others there at 13:30and depart at 14:00. We will meet at the Mobil fueling station on the South West corner of Anthem Way and I-17. See map below:

2079781_64_full.jpg

Members Meeting In Anthem:
  1. Wil (flyingwil) - White Toyota Tacoma DC
  2. Jason (Jasonazx) - White Nissan Xterra
  3. Jeff (jeffryscott) - Suzuki Grand Vitara
  4. Aaron (daturpr) - Green Izuzu Trooper

To all those coming from The West:
Mark (Scenic WonderRunner) and Al (Alwalter) are caravaning from San Diego and will be meeting up with some members in Morristown between 13:00 and 14:00.

Members Meeting In Morristown:
  1. Mark (Scenic WonderRunner) - Silver Toyota 4Runner
  2. Al (Alwalter) - Toyota Tacoma Xtra-Cab
  3. Vince (vickingvince) - Toyota Tacoma Xtra-Cab
  4. Brian (mcvickoffroad) - White Landy Disco

You can contact them if you wish to join them!

Let me know if this all looks right!

Wil

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I'll be visiting family at I-17 and Union Hills (North Phoenix). I can meet up and leave anytime after lunch. Used to be not much north of Union Hills. Now you have houses half way to Black Canyon City! :(

Attachments

• old 5.jpg
    old 5.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 0
  • old fav.jpg
    old fav.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 0
  • old 0.jpg
    old 0.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 0
  • old.jpg
    old.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 1
  • old 1.jpg
    old 1.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 0

flyingwil

There is a Mobil fueling station on the west side of I-17 and Athem Way near the outlet mall there. I believe it is the last fueling station prior to the exit. I have no Fuel Cans, so this stop is a must for me. Maybe we could set up meeting there at 13:30 and departing 14:00 (Half hour window). I was planing on taking I-17 North to Table Mesa Road to get to Friday night's camp. I think that should put us at Camp around 15:00 and 15:30 at the latest. What do you think?

Wil

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'll be rolling through PHX sometime that Friday...don't know when. I'll have to meet y'all at camp.

flyingwil

goodtimes said:
I'll be rolling through PHX sometime that Friday...don't know when. I'll have to meet y'all at camp.

Ahhh.. Opting to take the Chemistry Class huh?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Not sure yet. That is why I dont' know what time I'll be going through....I'm paying way too much $$$ to be there, just to blow off class every time something else comes up.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
From the other thread, Mark said...

Scenic WonderRunner said:
I'm thinking of heading toward Wickenberg......then for a "Scenic" Route.....can I head up to Castle Hot Springs?......then from here is there a route up over the mtns. to get to our camp site?

Like going up through "Columbia"....and then east to our camp? I've never been back in this area......but I've always wanted to get back up there. I even considered heading out a day early to do this. I always like to see everything I can while out and about.

From the other thread, Brian said...

mcvickoffroad said:
I was thinking of taking 60 up to Morristown and then taking North Castle Hot Springs Road. From what I gather NCHS Road will take us within 1.5 miles of camp. Then we would need to find no-name tracks the rest of the way.
another option is to take NCHS to Champie Rd then to Cow Creek Rd. This route would take us to where we would be if approching from Hwy 17 and Table Mesa Road. Either way I believe it will be no-name tracks for the last 1-2 miles but not positive.

I think you guys will be good to get into the area near Lake Pleasant on NCHS rd. from Morristown, but I wouldn't rely on the high route (through the Columbia area) to get through to the camp area via travel along the foothills. A friend of mine who lives near Castle Hot Springs said the last time he was over that way, the route that goes up in the hills between Tip Top and the Crown King rd. was not passable by 4wd any longer. He said at the east end near Tip Top, someone had used heavy equip. to dig a big hole across the trail, and that only quads could get by now. And he said over at the west end, I believe on the road into the Columbia mine area, that they had a locked gate. I think there are some active claims in that area. Neither of us has been out there lately to confirm the current status, but I wouldn't chance a route up through there unless you have at least an extra day in case you have to turn around and explore optional tracks.

I would bet that the route closer to the north shore of Lake Pleasant coming out of Castle Hot Springs area would probably be a more likely route. It looks like using the 2 Shoes Ranch rd. and Cow Creek rd. would get you into the vicinity.

Attachments

• Burb23.jpg
    Burb23.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb22.jpg
    Burb22.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb21.jpg
    Burb21.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb20.jpg
    Burb20.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb19.jpg
    Burb19.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb18.jpg
    Burb18.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb24.jpg
    Burb24.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Burb25.jpg
    Burb25.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb32.jpg
    Burb32.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Burb30.jpg
    Burb30.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Burb29.jpg
    Burb29.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Burb28.jpg
    Burb28.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb27.jpg
    Burb27.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb26.jpg
    Burb26.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb2.jpg
    Burb2.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Burb3.jpg
    Burb3.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 1
  • Burb4.jpg
    Burb4.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Burb5.jpg
    Burb5.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Burb6.jpg
    Burb6.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb7.jpg
    Burb7.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb8.jpg
    Burb8.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb11.jpg
    Burb11.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb13.jpg
    Burb13.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb14.jpg
    Burb14.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Burb15.JPG
    Burb15.JPG
    466.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Burb1.jpg
    Burb1.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 0

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
FYI - if there are any hot springs fans like myself, who might be considering a soak... the Castle Hot Springs is on private property, so no access :( It is situated behind a beautiful, historic resort compound. For some more info, check out a thread at soak.net

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Baja!
So I am thinking that since there is a resort in Castle Hot Springs and if people live in the vicinity then the NCHS road should be passable.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Anyone want to caravan from Wyoming? ;)

I'll be running the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands NP on the way down Tuesday & Wednesday....

Looking forward to seeing everyone in AZ! :victory:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Wil, why don't we phoenician's meet up around Carefree Highway and I-17 sometime in the afternoon. There is a Cheveron there where we can all gas up if need be and get any last minute provisions. I am going to work until around noon, and then go home and change and get my son from school and head on up, probably around 1:30 or so. And I know where the camp site is for those still wondering. I am going up this weekend to double check and try to scout the best site for my tent :camping: . It only takes me about 20 mins to get there from my house. :jumping:

flyingwil

datrupr said:
Wil, why don't we phoenician's meet up around Carefree Highway and I-17 sometime in the afternoon. There is a Cheveron there where we can all gas up if need be and get any last minute provisions. I am going to work until around noon, and then go home and change and get my son from school and head on up, probably around 1:30 or so. And I know where the camp site is for those still wondering. I am going up this weekend to double check and try to scout the best site for my tent :camping: . It only takes me about 20 mins to get there from my house. :jumping:

I still think that the 2 stations near the outlet mall are closer to camp, and closer is our best option IMO. When you go there this week-end, take a look at the stations and let us know.

Also If anyone is leaving the East Valley or Central Phoenix, we can set up a meeting spot around there too.

Wil

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
flyingwil said:
I still think that the 2 stations near the outlet mall are closer to camp, and closer is our best option IMO. When you go there this week-end, take a look at the stations and let us know.

Also If anyone is leaving the East Valley or Central Phoenix, we can set up a meeting spot around there too.

Wil

These are the gas stations at Anthem? That should be fine. It is really close to the trail.

flyingwil

I just think to top off the fluids as close to the trail head as possible is best.

But seriously take a look and see if there is a difference in price when you go to scope out the camp! Maybe cheaper might be better in this case!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles