Explorer Pod Build

compactcamping

Explorer
Black ZJ, We received the second batch of them about a month ago, if you haven't seen it, there is a thread about them, see DIY Trailer Tents

iF0056BCB-12C1-4068-8351-582339FBAB8B.jpg

compactcamping

Explorer
Update, Do plywood Trailer Boxes really last?

With many people concerned about plywood based trailer boxes holding up to off-pavement towing over time, thought I would update folks on how the Explorer Pod is doing. It was finished in July '09. I used it for a year then sold it Summer of '10 to someone that traveled around the US in it doing volunteer work. They are getting ready for a four year Peace Corps assignment and liquidating everything so I purchased it back.

Well here is proof that if built correctly they do last. It has 7k-9k miles on it now with many gravel road / off-pavement miles and only one problem has shown up. It's not plywood related. The Durabak on the fenders started peeling. Turns out for Durabak on bare steel your really need to use a primer like Metcore for good adhesion.

The trailer box is holding up fine with no problems. The common failure mode on plywood trailer boxes is to have a corner joint open up. This lets moisture in weakening the joint. Vibration goes to working trying to further loosen the joint while rot starts to eat away at the wood. I'm happy to report that structurally the Explorer Pod trailer box in like new condition. No corner joints have any signs of fractures.

The reasons are three fold. First is a strong, rigid torsion box design using quality plywood appropriately sized for the job. Second is gluing all the exterior corner joints with thickened epoxy. Finally a good exterior finish to seal moisture out. Another detail I did to keep moisture out, is every screw into the plywood or bolt through the box is silicone sealed.

6246895185_bdca968c50_z.jpg

6246895239_74808fb504_z.jpg

Plywood can be your friend ...

Gregz

Observer
I love this build, I've downsized to a Isuzu amigo and if you don't mind IM going to pretty much copy your build, 20 yrs a custom cabinet maker, past 5 a fabricator In a fab shop, I think I got the skills, is there anything you would change?

compactcamping

Explorer
Gregz Thanks! Feel free to copy, just be sure to tell people where you got the idea :) Overall no, everything worked great. I made one minor change, updated the front box hinge to be plastic to keep water out.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Hey, Hey.....I spoke w/ you several years ago and due to health and all the crap that can happen to a person, I never followed up. I am so happy to see that you had the opportunity to follow a build and see that it held up. I'm actually thrilled that your trailer has had no problems. If I go with something like this I will be definitely speaking to you!
what a cool build w/ the back up to prove it.
Congrats! bDog

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks bDog, plywood based trailer boxes is a very viable home-builder option. It always surprise me how people bad-mouth plywood on hear-say information, I like to deal in facts :)

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Thanks bDog, plywood based trailer boxes is a very viable home-builder option. It always surprise me how people bad-mouth plywood on hear-say information, I like to deal in facts :)
Yes very true...I needed a tool box on a construction p/u many years ago and couldn't really afford a metal one as I was starting out. I built one from plywood that spanned the box just behind the cab like the metal ones. That thing just about out lasted the truck..... Colorado weather and everything. Decent ply is strong and if coated and glued right it's very durable!
bDog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94