OK, how about this FJ80- thoughts?

luk4mud

Explorer
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/1136282862.html

I know its got the old 3F motor, but that may just mean that it's at its half life, no?

How big a deal is it to skip the factory lockers (many of which don't work because of lack of use and have to be expensively repaired) and slip a couple of cheap aussie lockers in instead?

Is the lack of any castor adjustment on this one after a lift a big deal or a warning sign?

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
If you keep your eyes open you can find a 93-94 with factory lockers for near $5k. If you are going to wheel it I feel the factory lockers do a great job!

My 2 cents

davegonz

Explorer
I think it's a bit on the high side for a 3FE powered truck. Those are way underpowered. You'd be happier getting a 93-97.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
If you will be happy with 93-97 then you will be much happier with a 96-97. With the much happier years you get OBDII and airbags.

Hedge

Adventurer
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/1136282862.html

I know its got the old 3F motor, but that may just mean that it's at its half life, no?

How big a deal is it to skip the factory lockers (many of which don't work because of lack of use and have to be expensively repaired) and slip a couple of cheap aussie lockers in instead?

Is the lack of any castor adjustment on this one after a lift a big deal or a warning sign?

North American 80s have full-time 4wd, so a full-time locker in the front would probably not be ideal.

That 80 is missing the third row seats.

If you haven't, I'd suggest a test drive of both a FJ80 and a FZJ80 before you decide. The 3FE has a hard time motivating the heavy 80 with its full-time 4wd and automatic transmission.

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
I know you said you are not in a hurry and just looking. What are your intended uses of the truck? Although a bit slugish, the 3FE is a bulletproof engine. A properly tuned motor and adjusted throttle (kickdown) cable can make a huge difference. I don't know with the lift and larger tires though. If it just had the OME springs, I wouldn't worry about not having the caster correction bushings, but with the addition of the 1" spacer you would have to drive it and see. Not really a red flag though, and the bushings are not too expensive (and come with the truck), but a pain to install if you haven't done them before. Slee has a great write up on doing it though.

sseaman

Adventurer
The 3fe isn't that bad of an engine, I loved the one I had, but then again I don't get in a big hurry to get anywhere. No HG issues with the 3FE.

I wouldn't pay top dollar for a 91-92 as they seem to come around quite often

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles