Field Report: Trash cleanup in southeast Arizona with Hunters Who Care group

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
We spent Saturday with a Safari Club group called Hunters Who Care, helping to clean up trash on various Altar Valley ranches (between the Baboquivari Mts and the Sierrita & Cerro Colorado Mts) - mostly from migrants, and from hunters (or rather, slobs-with-guns -- not real hunters). Here's a shot that relates the scope of the problem:

trash.jpg

We had to create a road to get a few pickups to this site, to take about 100 big bags of trash out. This area is in a saddle between two big hills, away from any roads. It's a stopover point for migrants on foot.

The problem was that user-created roads are like bait for ATVers - you'd think they think there's a 12-pack of Bud at the end of each one. Sure enough, just as we were finishing up, three rather WIDE-bodied folks including their pudgy kid came right up the side of the hill on their 3 ATVs.

We stayed behind and disguised/closed the road at Game & Fish's request.

Game & Fish and lots of hunter friends we know are all getting sick of ATVs driving off roads, up washes, scaring off game, wrecking habitat, and giving radical environmental groups plenty of ammo to start lobbying for more restrictions on backcountry driving of all kinds - and it's those of us who are careful users who will suffer most.

So there's a real need for ethical-minded 4x4 enthusiasts to help support Game & Fish in an up-and-coming campaign to educate ATV and 4x4 users about the illegality of driving off-road and up washes.

Stay tuned.

Roseann

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I found this article tonight..........it really shows how bad this migrant/trash problem really is!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Article:Article LINK

Published: Sep 25, 2005
Author: ANDREW BECKER
Post Date: 2005-09-26 17:55:00 by Moderate Mammal
17 Comments

Migrants leaving ugly mark on land

Up to 4,000 tons of trash left near Arizona border each year

12:00 AM CDT on Sunday, September 25, 2005

By ANDREW BECKER / The Dallas Morning News

ARIVACA, Ariz. – Empty water jugs and scraps of clothing are as common as saguaro and mesquite in this part of the Sonoran Desert, 12 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border.

No More Deaths volunteer Jeff Weeks hikes along a littered trail outside Arivaca, Ariz. Trash along migrant trails is particularly concentrated in encampment areas. There are places along the Mexico border in Arizona where the desert floor is hidden by discarded backpacks, shoes and other refuse left behind by people crossing the border.

These are the signs of illegal immigration, found in heaps at camps, along well-worn paths that run through the dry desert creek beds and ever closer to Tucson, 50 miles northeast.

"It would be an understatement to say parts of the desert have been trashed," said Gail Aschenbrenner, spokeswoman for the 1.7 million-acre Coronado National Forest, which shares 60 miles of border with Sonora, Mexico.

"It's like collateral damage," said Gary Nabhan, director of the Center for Sustainable Environments at Northern Arizona University, who has studied southern Arizona desert ecology.

4,000 tons of trash

Illegal immigrants drop an average of 6 to 8 pounds of waste during their journey, according to government estimates. With an estimated 1 million people crossing into Arizona each year, that amounts to 4,000 tons of garbage.

The worst areas are at smugglers' "lay-up" sites, where travelers wait to be transported to areas such as Tucson and Phoenix. Backpacks and clothes practically pave the ground, left behind so that more people can be packed into vehicles, or when the immigrants try to change their appearance from dusty hikers to indistinguishable citizens.

Federal and state money to address the problem has trickled down, but it's not enough, resource managers say. Citizen cleanup efforts exist, but volunteers can't keep up.

Neither can landowners. Ranchers Tom and Dena Kay, whose property touches five miles of border, said they haul out a pickup load of garbage a week.

"It makes you very, very angry because there's such lack of respect of the land and the people living here," said Mrs. Kay, 62.

Lasting impact

The environmental impacts will long outlive those dropping the trash, Mr. Nabhan said. He pointed to remnants from the California gold rush still evident on the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge.

"You can still see tracks and garbage from a much smaller group of people ... 150 years later," he said. "This last decade of increase in illegal border crossings will inevitably be seen on the ground well into the 22nd century."

The problem on the Tohono O'odham Indian Reservation to the east is even worse. The 2.8 million-acre tribal land – nearly the size of Connecticut – fronts about 70 miles of remote border.

As many as 1,500 illegal immigrants cross the reservation each day, leaving more than 4 million pounds of trash a year, according to a June 2004 Government Accountability Office report.

Gary Olson, administrator for the reservation's solid waste program, said more than 40 tons of garbage have been collected in the past year. Much of that garbage is up to 10 years old, which he calls "easy pickings," compared with waste in more remote places.

The nation has been among the most aggressive in addressing the issue, using global positioning systems to map and monitor the dumping grounds. The nation has also received grants totaling $100,000 from the Environmental Protection Agency and Bureau of Land Management to help fund cleanup projects. But, Mr. Olson says, that won't wipe out the trash.

Little coordination

Mr. Nabhan said there is little cleanup coordination.

"With homeland security issues trumping everything else along the borders, there's no agency with the power to make sure ecological impacts are minimized by either illegal border crossers or the government agencies themselves," he said. The Border Patrol responded last September by creating a position to help communicate with different agencies and to focus on environmental issues.

Harv Forsgren, U.S. Forest Service regional forester for the Southwestern region, said he's still concerned about the environmental impacts of the Border Patrol, but he has seen improvements.

For instance, when agents apprehend apparently illegal immigrants, they sometimes make them clean up their trash. Immigration law prohibits them from cleaning up more, officials said.

"It's the saddest thing to see its effects," Mr. Nabhan said. "It's much more dramatic than anything we've seen in the past."

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
DesertRose said:

:Wow1: Dear Lord that's a lot of trash! I would have thought some one bombed the landfill right next door.

:clapsmile Great job on your efforts for keeping our trails open. It is a shameful sight to see any place to that degree with that amount of litter.

I recently went out to Butcher Jones / Rolls OHV and spent more time picking up litter than I did wheeling, upon leaving I had a near full bed of pure litter. The best part of it all is there is a large dumpster near the entrance/ exit and while unload the litter into the dumpster a Jeep trailing 2 ATV's stoped by and asked where I got all the trash. I explained to him that I had simply picked it all up while on the trail. The couple in the Jeep's faces were priceless, and hopefully they too will help next time they are out to keep ouor trails open.

There is a fine line between picking up the litter and educating others and being seen as an ************** in their eyes. If I am with people I know, they know I like to pick it up and in fact think it is funny to put trash in my truck. But in my oppinion it is just as bad to roll past a beer can as it is to put it there! It would be great to be able to roll on with out stopping, but if I am out enjoying the trail I want the next guy behind me to enjoy it too.

Roseann- Great job! I am sorry to hear about the closing of the trail, but it clearly needed to cleaned and shut down. Thanks for your efforts in fighting :sport_box to keep our trails open for continued use and enjoyment!

DesertRose

flyingwil said:
I am sorry to hear about the closing of the trail, but it clearly needed to cleaned and shut down. Thanks for your efforts in fighting :sport_box to keep our trails open for continued use and enjoyment!

Just to clarify, Flyingwil - this "road" that we closed was created by us to access the site to remove the trash (migrant trash). This was an area with no roads. Any road that is created for management must be closed, or slobs like the 3 ATVers will scoot right up in in search of . . . Bud? Bud Light (hey, gotta watch those waistlines; Levis don't go up past 60x32).

So - yes, we need to be vigilant and help where it's needed.

On a rather humorous (in a sick way) note, when we were coming home through more backcountry, we were flagged down by 2 migrants who had been lost for 6 days, were exhausted and scared (they'd been robbed by fellow Mexicans at gunpoint, and said they found some bodies of deceased migrants, who had been partially eaten by animals!) and wanted to be taken in to Border Patrol. We calmed them down and gave them some Cokes before loading them in the trucks (and calling Border Patrol). Before getting in the truck, they turned around and tossed their cans off into the bushes....

Sigh.

:(

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
There are some major cultural differences between the US and Mexico. Here, we bury our trash, but the landfills in Mexico are generally just open pits and it is rarely buried.

Here is a picture of a landfill south of El Rosario in Baja Norte. It spread this far in every direction and this town isn't all that large. Most Mexican towns have their on-the-top landfills outside all their cities. Not sure that we can do anything about the illegals dumping trash, they don't see a problem with it like we do. It's how they deal with their trash. This landfill below was mostly sea urchins, that is why it is purple in color.

L_Urchin2.jpg

We have to stop the illegal traffic if we want to stop the trash. The Border Patrol cannot do it, having the military on the border won't work either. Many of the areas are very rugged and mountainous, not to mention awesome habitat. The illegal drug runners I ran into a couple weeks ago crossing into the US were using a VERY rugged mountain pass to get into the US. I was there studying an endangered rattlesnake that inhabits the sky islands in the borderlands. The border patrol won't go there, only crazy biologist types like me hike into rugged areas like this.

I think the answer is a political one. The US and Mexico need some better treaties. The economy in Mexico needs supported so that their people will want to stay home because they have work there. It's hard to find concensus with political answers though. They need to move the war on drugs south too.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I won't get into politics, but trash is a widespread offroad problem. I've seen it in many places and it pisses me off.
The original post is true, it's great fodder for the eco-nazi's to shut everything off. ATV's piss me off too, again it's the few bad apples that ruin it for everyone.

I wish there was some ritual ass-kicking that could be done at every trailhead in America whereby a ignant, drunk, "offroader" is made example of...

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
thank you

For doing something :jumping:

I'm glad some people still care.

I no longer do quail hunting in the East County here in San Diego. In the 90's, Operation Gatekeeper was started here, causing the worst ecological disaster in the Southwest for many decades.

Close the border near San Diego and push the illegals into East County, ruining the way of life of the rural inhabitants and destroying out wild areas with millions of tons of trash.

Aggressive law enforcement near population centers pushed the illegals farther and farther east causing the number of crossings to explode in AZ and NM. Which has caused communities such as Sierra Vista to explode with Border Patrol agents looking for a decent place to live.

I haven't been up in my old stomping grounds for many years. My favorite canyon and 12" wide trail became a human highway, wide enough to drive a trash truck on. Needless to say, that game all left too.

Those pictures speak volumes. The trash should all be bagged up and piled up on the White House lawn.

DesertRose

Calamaridog - you hit all the points dead-on: all this traffic adds up to a huge ecological disaster. You would not believe the impact (well, YOU do, but others can't comprehend til they see it).

And just to mention: people are dying out here by the dozens; we talked with a man and his son who had been lost for 5 days; they had been cheated by their own "coyote" who had just dumped them and not shown them where to go as promised, then they were robbed at gunpoint by Mexicans operating in the no-man's land out here in the US of A, and then they stumbled on bodies of a man and woman, in an advanced state of decomposition. These men were completely freaked out and wanted to go hom - to Veracruz.

I have great sympathy for these people despite the trash and damage. They would much rather stay at home - but there are so few jobs (these guys lost their ranch jobs when the ranch went to a big agri-business, no more cowboys, thanks - thanks NAFTA!) and there's no social security infrastructure, which is why they come up here.

We were just talking about airlifting the garbage both to DC and back to Mexico - preferably on the palace of Vicente Fox.

Roseann

Scott Brady

Founder
The Sand Tank Mountains, just West of Tucson were a beautiful and remote spot to visit a few years ago. You had to have a range permit to even enter the area, and it was golden. (Goodtimes and Al have been in there with me).

The last time I went in there, the migrant trash made me sick. New roads cut by illegals, etc. I talked with the BLM officer, and he indicated that increased enforcement in the Organ Pipe had pushed them there... So sad :(

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Two comments.

The western loop thru Organ Pipe NM has been closed for about 2 years now. The first reason I was given was, the roads were damaged by resent storms & were in need on re-construction. The latest reason, last spring was for illeagal imigration traffic & the abundance of Border Patrol infrastructure being constructed. I asked then, when might the area be opened again for our use? The response was, unknown at this time. So, we have lost access to a part of one of our National Monuments for immigration/security reasons.

The Otay Mountain area east of San Diego that abuts the border is, was, still is a beautiful place. Each time I've been there the last few months, I come home with at least 2 full garbage bags of litter. This is from the Illegal traffic still poring thru this area only a couple of miles east of the Otay border crossing. Gatekeeper has not pushed that much traffic away from our metropolitan areas. The volume is still here.

Al

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Al.......

I've even seen discarded clothes and hidden water jugs in Anza Borrego.....out on the trail that heads north along the train tracks from the old Train Water Tower.

Attachments

• File0034.jpg
    File0034.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 36
  • File0035.jpg
    File0035.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 34

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Just to stoke the fire a little... :campfire: :elkgrin:

Even though the illegals are leaving a lot of trash, I 100% do not support building some huge damn wall along our 1900 miles of border with Mexico. Some of these areas are really rugged, unique, and a wall will be useless first and foremost and secondly it will be fugly as hell. Cites or populated areas, sure put up a wall or two, but in the middle of nowhere a wall does nothing unless someone is standing there watching it and we will never have enough people to patrol 1900 miles of wall, we cannot even stop people from hopping the wall from TJ to SoCal.

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Chuck,

I totally agree. We got rid of the walls in eastern Europe only a few years ago. I'm not for erecting them on this continent. There isn't a local solution for the problem. There isn't a national solution either, it is a continental problem that has to be dealt with somehow.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Al,

There are certainly a bunch of illegals walking across the border in San Diego County still, but the vast number of the illegal border crossings are now happening elsewhere.

The San Diego political machine forced the Border Patrol to push the majority of the illegal crossings into rural areas, away from the political power base and prying eyes of the local media.

Then the bureaucrats can clap themselves on the back and tell each other what a great success their programs have been, when in reality the picture is very grim indeed.

Several of my best friends are Border Patrol agents and I hear the horror stories first hand. My buddy called me one night (several years ago) on his cell phone. He was sitting on an "X" in a Bronco near Otay Mesa. He was in a Zone that had reported 0 apprehensions for the entire year. Part of the "success story" the bureaucrats were spinning to the media.

Illegal aliens were walking within 100 yards of his post. He reported the border crossers to his supervisor and advised he would apprehend the aliens. He was ordered to "stand down", and told that he was "seeing things" and NOBODY crosses in that zone.

My buddy wanted to vent and ask me what he should do. Should he complain up the chain? Should he call the media? "No, you should ******** so you can get the job you want in another agency", I told him. You see, when you are 20 something, it is a bad idea to rock the boat and do the right thing when they might screw you out of your chance to leave.

Another friend of mine is a rancher in East County. He will be selling his land soon and leaving California for areas North. He has trash all over his land, stolen and damaged property, and has been involved in armed confrontations (read: shootouts) with smugglars; he's even been harrassed by the government.

This is why they are getting so badly screwed in these smaller communities in AZ that are not equipped to handle the volume of people streaming across the border. 1,000,000 is the "safe" estimate of how many people cross over into AZ each year. AZ is now the "front line" on the "war".

Our border policy is a complete failure. You can't build a wall on lies, the foundation just falls apart. Nothing short of a miracle will bring us back from the brink.

And no, I don't think a fence along the entire border is a realistic solution to a larger socio-economic problem.

-Bryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles